G-sensor abnormal and incorrectly reported on Huawei Ideos S7

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I noticed that some games do not work at all on the S7. The x and y axis seem to be flipped. We have had some threads on this already, but maybe we should keep one as a sticky.

So I turned to my G1 and did some comparisons.

Games that I tried but failed to work properly included Raging Thunder, Prism3D
Games that worked properly included Abduction

The weird thing is that some apps continue to function as intended even in landscape mode. I'm not a developer and don't know the best way to debug this. But this better be fixed for Android 2.2. This ends up breaking a bunch of games.

I think we can try to escalate this issue as a community. I haven't spoken with anyone with Huawei about this issue, but this should raise legitimate concerns.

The g-sensor does work properly in the launcher, but Huawei's SensorManager implementation is broken if it is screwing up application compatibility somehow.

Portrait mode (everything okay):
QLiK6.jpg

Landscape mode (? Wrong x-y values reported. Pitch & roll wrong as well.):
d6d19.jpg

Sample Apps that do not work as a result of Huawei's broken implementation:
Raging Thunder
Raging Thunder 2
Prism 3D
Labyrinth

Jan 26, 2011
Agreed, there is something odd going on. Navionics will not rotate, will only display in portrait mode. The program rotates properly on other devices. The pre-installed launcher screen (not sure what it is called) with all of the available programs on it does not rotate. Since some programs function/rotate properly, I *assume* the hardware functions properly and that there is a programming kludge that needs debugging. How many programmers does Huawei have on staff?

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
Is this something like the camera mod switch that can be implemented to change our sensor axis? Then we could remap the xyz

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The stock launcher's rotation is not related to this bug. This has to do with the way Huawei's Android implementation is reporting the x-y-z acceleration and pitch/roll to non-system applications.

If anything I think it is a framework mod we need if we were to fix it ourselves. Maybe SensorManager. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Important information but why is this a sticky? Ironically, I completely missed it because it wasn't posted as a normal thread because the forum app hides stickies by default.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The forum app has stickies on a second page...

I have this stickied because I hoped that Huawei would pay attention...

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
I recognize that the stickies are on the second page, I just don't look there often because I don't expect them to to be as dynamic as the main posts which I monitor much more frequently for new info FWIW. But I guess I can sort of see your logic re: Huawei (do they really monitor this forum frequently?) My original thought was that it should be stickied once we figure out whats going on. But you as moderator would have a better perspective on that, I'm pretty much a newb. ha.

Last edited:

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
Huawei pay attention? Isn't that an oxmoron?
I have emailed them on four separate occasions without any reply.
I get the feeling that as good as the S7 is we were all used as test dummies.
Not that I'm *****ing!

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
Isn't censoring *****ing just a tad over board PC?
And how did I get 1000 points twice?

Last edited:

dublea

Feb 22, 2011
The stock launcher's rotation is not related to this bug. This has to do with the way Huawei's Android implementation is reporting the x-y-z acceleration and pitch/roll to non-system applications.

If anything I think it is a framework mod we need if we were to fix it ourselves. Maybe SensorManager. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I just got an S7 yesterday, flashed the rom for the cpu increase, rooted it, and other tweaks. I noticed this post about the accelerometer and tried out some apps. I do see what the first post says and am wondering if this sensormanager might help? Has anyone attempted to fix this frameware glitch? I'd like to know if this is the correct path also or what may be needed to do to resolve it.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I pointed to a part of Android that might be causing the issue. I do not have a good way of fixing this right now.