Galaxy Tab Battery query

khell

Jan 25, 2011
Hi All,

I have a Galaxy Tab for around a month or so and started noticing this problem. I would leave it fully charged at night unplugging it with no connectivity (wifi, bluetooth or 3g) and when I wake up, it would be at 62% battery life.

Furthermore, at several points in the battery's life (experienced it at around less than 50%), it would suddenly drop to 1% asking me to recharge. When I plug it back in, it would show me the current charge before it dropped to 1% but this would happen repeatedly.

I presume this is a battery problem but I would like to get people's expert opinion on this forum.

Cheers.

fishstick600

Jul 26, 2010
Have u ever let the battery fully discharge? sounds like the internal gauge is screwed up.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy tablet using Tapatalk

khell

Jan 25, 2011
Actually, the battery was fully discharged the previous day. Left it charged overnight to 100%. Unplugged it then noticed the power gauge drop to 66%. I then recharged it back up to 100% and played a few movie clips. Saw that 1% lasted me around 3.5 minutes of movie time which was a bit tolerable considering I had no open apps nor connectivity.

When it was at 62%, it suddenly dropped my battery gauge to 1% forcing it to shutdown. Restarting it back gave me a battery gauge of 37% and the same thing happened again thrice for today only. Samsung customer service centre checked it and said everything was okay. I'm at my wits end already. Not sure what it'll take for them to thoroughly check.

fishstick600

Jul 26, 2010
Ya that sounds like what my droid x did before they patched a fix. That's never happened to me hope u get it taken care of.

Dec 8, 2010
I'd contact Samsung. That is NOT normal! Do note, however, in the Samsung manual, it clearly states to NOT drain the battery!!!! I know that some people say that you have to "teach your devices" what their storage capacity is by draining the battery completely with each use but that's rubbish! Sounds like you have a wonky battery or meter. Do you have a service repair plan? I've got one for 3 years; I never buy an electronic device without picking one up. They're priceless and I've saved big bucks with each unit I've bought. Good luck to you; I'm sorry that you're experiencing this problem.

fishstick600

Jul 26, 2010
Ya its bad for lithium ion batteries to be completely drained often.

AndroidIsTheTruth

Aug 15, 2010
I have an AT&T version and my battery can sometime last a day and half with moderate use. I can get a good 12 ~ 13 hours with constant use. I definitely use it moderate to heavy use in most case. So I would imagine that you do have a bad battery and should get it replaced.

Androyd

Jan 27, 2011
Have you tried going to "Settings" > "About device" > "Battery use (See what has been using your battery)"?

Reboot your device, charge it completely, and let it sit overnight. In the morning, check the aforementioned utility to see what is draining your battery.

robertc88

Jan 26, 2011
I use Wi-Fi to surf the internet. Within about 1 1/2 hours of doing so, the battery is down to 50% after fully being charged. Is that typical?

robertc88

Jan 26, 2011
I thought it odd the battey would go down to 50% after surfing the web for 1 1/2 hours since I had fully charged it the night before. But now I think I may have the same issue as the OP. It wasn't probably 100% when I started to use it afterwards and it drained some overnight. Next time after it is fully charged I'll check and see if it lost some overnight before starting to use it again.

Does airplane mode turned "ON" while surfing drain the batter any faster by the way?

Last edited:

fishstick600

Jul 26, 2010
do you have your email set to auto pull? i get on average 2 days battery on my galaxy. I have sync turned off and keep my screen turned low most of the time. I have wifi on all the time too not sure if that makes much of a difference but it uses about 5% of my battery.

robertc88

Jan 26, 2011
Thanks for the replies so far.

The battery after fully charged did not lose anything overnight afterwards (thank goodness).

I did the battery use inquiry and it is 80% screen display and 20% android operating system. I have the power save mode enabled and I have the brightness and color set halfway on those indicators. Wifi and airplane mode are disabled for data so nothing drawing on the battery from there..

I'll have to check email and see what it is set to.

I'm going to just play games for 1 hour and see how much the battery is used. Then I will browse the internet afterward and see how that goes. Keeping fingers crossed I don't have a problem with my battery draining more than it should be.