Games availability for the Sony Tablet?

hearrean

Feb 10, 2012
I am considering buying the Sony Tablet S 32gb for my wife. I just recently bought her a Kindle Fire, but she's not too fond of it. Her main use will be simply playing games, some web surfing, e-books, etc. She found that on the Kindle, you are limited to only their library of games which doesn't have a lot of the games she prefers like Wheel of Fortune, Mahjongg Dimensions, etc. Maybe a stupid question, but what about the availability of games on the Sony? Are free games available as well as paid games, etc?

Ken

Last edited:

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Sony S has a Honeycomb 3.2 OS so basically any games that are compatible with that and it is endless. Amazon has a free paid app of the day where they give you, for free, apps you would normally pay for. More often than not, these are games. There are other market places that offer free games, as well. The Sony S is also the only Play Station certified device. They currently have 5 free PS games and 5 you can buy. But that is just the tip of the iceberg of what you can do with it. :)

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

hearrean

Feb 10, 2012
Sony S has a Honeycomb 3.2 OS so basically any games that are compatible with that and it is endless. Amazon has a free paid app of the day where they give you, for free, apps you would normally pay for. More often than not, these are games. There are other market places that offer free games, as well. The Sony S is also the only Play Station certified device. They currently have 5 free PS games and 5 you can buy. But that is just the tip of the iceberg of what you can do with it. :)

Great! That was the answer I was looking for. Being used to only Windows-based OS's, I wasn't sure about any other OS's. I was concerned that the only accessible games would be PS games & that the free games like she's down-loaded from the internet would not be available. And that was our dis-like about the Kindle; you only have access to their library of apps! It sounds like that's not the case here.

Thanks,

Ken

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
There are a bunch of App stores and you will be amazed at the number of free games there are. The Sony S can also be your universal remote and you can flick pictures from the device to your tv. It is a great ereading device and I actually prefer it to my Sony reader. It is good for watching movies and it comes bundled with Crackle which has a lot of free movies. I do not have Netfix yet but that is supposed to work well with the Sony S. It has a 5 mp rear facing camera and a 2 mp front facing camera. You can also download free apps that allow you to use the tablet as your laptop, kind of like Cloud.

davect01

Jan 22, 2012
I have around 10 games loaded, some really simple, some quite complex.

Only one did not seem to work right.

hearrean

Feb 10, 2012
There are a bunch of App stores and you will be amazed at the number of free games there are.

When you say there are a bunch of app stores, are they located anywhere other than the "Market" icon? So far, that's the only place I have been able to find apps/games for the tablet.

Ken

davect01

Jan 22, 2012
When you say there are a bunch of app stores, are they located anywhere other than the "Market" icon? So far, that's the only place I have been able to find apps/games for the tablet.

Ken

I believe he was referring to the website you can go to and download apps there.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011

Ken

Here are the App stores I have on the tablet, other than Market Place;
Amazon Appstore- If you get no other App store app, get this.
Getjar- Seems to have the most free apps.
AppBrain- Haven't used this one much.
1 Mobile Market- Just downloaded today but it looks pretty good.

Try going to Market and doing a search for Amazon Appstore. If that doesn't work go to the Amazon website from your tablet and download it.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
I go online for that one. There doesn't seem to be an app for it.