Gaming on the A2109?

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
I have really been enjoying Gameloft offerings. Moderncombat 4 order&.chaos, dungeon hunter etc. I accidentally stumbled on some info on our tegra. Just some info, the THD designation just means.it's.optimized to use quadcore, games that aren't don't necessarily utilize it (Gameloft). If you get poor performance do setcpu profile to change governer to performance.while you play. Also look into dbind app, invaluable for cramming as many games as possible on.

I can elaborate more if this is new info.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk HD

Thanks I may just take you up on that...

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
so you are on stock Jellybean and leave wifi on? I have heard this helps conserve battery(somehow).

Yes, but it seems that airplane mode also works for battery conservation. The problem seems to be something checking for auto updates that doesn't handle the "wifi off" state gracefully, but does handle the "wifi on but not connected" state properly. Wifi uses very little power.

It's not the vibration or sound, it's your tegra using all four cores at a high rate or buzzing two at full load etc. The display brightness also plays huge part but yes they do eat battery.

It's a pretty amazing chip. I did a lot of firmware on simple processors years ago and they were either off or on and used the same power polling for activity (twiddling its thumbs) or doing meaningful work. Today's chips are much better about only powering the circuits when needed.

stal2k

Dec 13, 2012
Yes, but it seems that airplane mode also works for battery conservation. The problem seems to be something checking for auto updates that doesn't handle the "wifi off" state gracefully, but does handle the "wifi on but not connected" state properly. Wifi uses very little power.

It's a pretty amazing chip. I did a lot of firmware on simple processors years ago and they were either off or on and used the same power polling for activity (twiddling its thumbs) or doing meaningful work. Today's chips are much better about only powering the circuits when needed.

There is a entry in build.prop, persist.wifi_scan_interval that can be changed higher if that's what your referring to. 180 seems to be a good value. Default is 14. Pimp my rom has this tweak slider.

Your right about those chips, I came up with the desktops too when oc of 200mhz was a big to do lol. Thing with Gameloft stuff is (from what I've read) the games Don't utilize our quad core at all, for the graphic intense.ones like mc4 or nova 3 I've had great results setting governer as performance. That apparently disables two cores and pegs the other two at max clock. That as well as making sure oom grouping and kindred values set to med-aggressive should give a smooth experience.

If there is any interest I have some sixaxis profiles that work well on our device if anyone is using their.gamepad

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk HD

sk8er911

Feb 19, 2013
i love the info guy keep it coming although i do not hav any govenors on my tablet is there a summing i have to download to get it?

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
Im pretty sure you have to be rooted to change your govenors.. If that is what you are asking.

In answer to your above statement.
Yep you have to be rooted.
I myself am not into rooting my tablet, But I've read enough here, And seen enough just on Google Play while looking at different programs to know that when it comes to tweaking anything in android at least 98% of it you've got to be rooted...
That's one nice thing about Windows tweakiing hardware settings is not that hard for the most part.... :rolleyes:

sk8er911

Feb 19, 2013
thanks alot, but from my understanding some of the gameloft newer games are not optimized for quad core processors that is why some of them lags or drop frame rates. and
the only way to fix that problem is to set governors to performance to activate the tegra 3 4 cores.

sk8er911

Feb 19, 2013
i also need some help in getting some games to run on my lenovo a2109 can anybody PM me a how to. i'm from the caribbean and it's a hassle to get some better known titles
even through amazon app store when they are free

dieseltown

Jan 28, 2013
i also need some help in getting some games to run on my lenovo a2109 can anybody PM me a how to. i'm from the caribbean and it's a hassle to get some better known titles
even through amazon app store when they are free

What games are you talking about? If you are talking about games not on the playstore, try google... ;) APKs are the type of files. Sideloading is what its called, and if you check up on google, you will find its rather very easy to do.

A lot of games aren't available in the Playstore because developers have to list each tablet as a compatible one with that particular game(someone correct me if im wrong here), so many of the Gameloft games don't even show up for me. None of the Modern Combats do, GTA Vice city doesnt, etc. These games run fine on our tablet, you just have to find other means to get them.

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
thanks alot, but from my understanding some of the gameloft newer games are not optimized for quad core processors that is why some of them lags or drop frame rates. and
the only way to fix that problem is to set governors to performance to activate the tegra 3 4 cores.

That's funny.
I play several Gameloft Games only 3 of 7 are optimized for the Tegra 3, and I see no difference in the unoptimized games as for the way they used to play on my old Tegra 2 in an Acer A500.
Now the Tegra 3 optimized games on the Tegra 2 that's a different story.

When i play the unoptimized games on my A2109 and while watching the CPU program I have that watches all 4 cores.
I see all 4 cores working at times and then at times just 1 or 2, It all varies of coarse as to what's going on at the time in the game.

Now on the other hand when playing the optimized games that's a different story altogether.
ALL 4 cores get going pretty good then... :cool:

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
What games are you talking about? If you are talking about games not on the playstore, try google... ;) APKs are the type of files. Sideloading is what its called, and if you check up on google, you will find its rather very easy to do.

A lot of games aren't available in the Playstore because developers have to list each tablet as a compatible one with that particular game(someone correct me if im wrong here), so many of the Gameloft games don't even show up for me. None of the Modern Combats do, GTA Vice city doesnt, etc. These games run fine on our tablet, you just have to find other means to get them.

I've seen the games you are talking about on play store.
But as for sideloading another one to consider is Tegrazone they have a lot of good ones and it's easy to find just Google it and you'll find the .apk fairly easy.
Tegrazone was part of my old Acer Iconia but for some reason they decided not to include it on the A2109???

I have it on mine after sideloading it and it runs fine as well as their games.
GetJar is another that I use.

And in the Play store look for the Tablet App it will divide up all the different types of apps that are compatible with tablets into different groups making it a whole lot eaiser to find what you are looking for.

HOPE this helps: Ricky

dieseltown

Jan 28, 2013
I've seen the games you are talking about on play store.
But as for sideloading another one to consider is Tegrazone they have a lot of good ones and it's easy to find just Google it and you'll find the .apk fairly easy.
Tegrazone was part of my old Acer Iconia but for some reason they decided not to include it on the A2109???

I have it on mine after sideloading it and it runs fine as well as their games.
GetJar is another that I use.

And in the Play store look for the Tablet App it will divide up all the different types of apps that are compatible with tablets into different groups making it a whole lot eaiser to find what you are looking for.

HOPE this helps: Ricky

Thats odd, some people have mentioned they see them, while others haven't. I don't get it, but these alone don't show up for me:
Nova 3
Modern Combat 4
Order & Chaos Online
Heroes of Order & Chaos
Vice City

There are others, I just can't think of them off the top of my head. It saddens me, because I've tried to sideload Order & Chaos Online but can never get it to work correctly.. I always get booted after the splash screen.

I tried to install TegraZone, but it never list any games. I heard that was a bug with it.