Get Archos 101 or wait for newer tablets to come out

yoyodunno

Jan 5, 2011
I've been looking at the tablets for 300 dollars or less(over that and I would rather save for the Ipad), and it seems like the Archos 101 and Archos 70 are some of the best tablets in the price range. I kinda want to buy one, but what's holding me back is the feeling that there will be a bunch of newer better tablets comng out soon.

So I'm not sure if I should wait for all the new offerings which could have the newer Android OS. I really have the itch to get a tablet right now.

edit: wow just now I see there's a thread somewhat similar to this below. :eek: I'd appreciate any thoughts on the 300 dollar tablets anyway.

Last edited:

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
^wait; either u get the newer models otherwise get the same ones u want now but at a better price..!!

yoyodunno

Jan 5, 2011
Hmm, yeah you're right, I think I can wait. I'm just a very impatient person lol.

CarsnGadgets

Dec 6, 2010
The thing is, the next generation of android tablets coming out later this year will mostly be dual core tegra2, high resolution tablets
spec'd to meet android honeycombe requirements, as it is the version of android supposedly optimized for the tablet form factor.

I cant see any of them being sold for £300 or less, certainly not right away.

I'd say that there is no point waiting, you will always be waiting a bit longer just in case something else better comes out.
Do your research, find the tablet that best suits your needs 'now' and spend as much as you can afford.

I bought the archos 101 16gb knowing full well that the screen isnt brilliant and that it may not ever see android 3.0,
But it runs 99% of 2.2 apps really well now, and does everything I want/need it to do.

tablets will be the same as any electronic goods, you never see brand new pcs drop below a certain price, they just discontinue
the old model and replace it with a new model at the same price as the old one.

The archos gen8 models may drop 10% in price over the next 6 months or so, but I say get it now and enjoy it for those 6 months,
that will be worth more than the £25-30 you will save by waiting.

blackstone

Dec 7, 2010
My oppion mirrors the last post. For the priceyou wont find anything better than the archos imo. I bought one a month or so ago with the intention of also puchasing a honeycombe version in the 2nd half of the year

yoyodunno

Jan 5, 2011
Ok, I think I'll wait to the end of this week, so I can see some more offerings shown at CES. I was also very interested in the Notion Ink Adam, it looks very innovative.

I wonder if the Archos 101 will end up with Android 3.0?

blackstone

Dec 7, 2010
It is looking unlikely that archos will get 3.0 due to the minimum system requirements that are being reported

mandroid

Sep 9, 2010
I am waiting until March. IMO the price of the Archos line will drop when the new tablets hit the market and everyone runs to purchase them.There is a lot of product out there that will need to be moved and the only way they will be able to do that is by cutting prices.

limulus

Jan 4, 2011
From what I've read, I have to agree with those who posted before me. I think all the new stuff that is being shown at CES will be much more expensive than $300. I do think that the current stuff will go down in price before it is discontinued and replaced. For example, the Archos 70 was over $300 at Amazon just yesterday. Today, it is $275. I have to wonder if it is because so much news of new products is coming out of CES. My only problem now is the Archos 70 2.2 is not in stock. Amazon says they will have them on 10 Jan.

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
Waiting isn't a bad idea. Looks at the iphone 3GS down to $49 on contract.

Others will tumble before the bulk of stuff from CES becomes available

ShadowHunter

Dec 7, 2010
Wait (a couple of weeks), the A8 becomes outdated and will not be able to support the nextgen Android

yoyodunno

Jan 5, 2011
Does the Archos 101 have 2.2? Also, where is the best place/price to pick one up?

Bob
Yeah, or at least you can upgrade it easily. And so far the places to buy it I've seen are amazon and newegg, but out of stock right now.

Also, I've decided to wait and try to get the Notion Ink Adam tablet.