Getting A Little Frustrated

TechRemedy

Jan 4, 2011
This is starting to get more interesting.

In the root of the filesystem I have two sdcard folders. "sdcard" and "sdcard2". "sdcard2" is my actual MicroSD that I placed in the SD slot. The "sdcard" folder seems to be empty...like it's a mount point for something that isn't mounting correctly. Anyone know what the device id is for their 8GB internal storage? I'm going to keep digging to try and verify the lack of 8GB internal storage on this thing.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
If you root the device and check everything with root explorer you should see what is designated as 'sdcard' by Huawei. ie internal storage. Unless there is a seperate area on all models specifically built in for internal storage.
My understanding was that OS installation formatted the various areas for it's use from this internal storage area. Then again if you were to format sdcard then would you loose this allocation or would there be an area set aside for OS use untouched by a reformat. That would mean a custom ROM would certainly be able allocate greater reserved areas for it's own use and give us increased app installation area.
But not in the case of the lower mem spec models?
All a bit confusing.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
TechRemedy
I just read your last post and I suspect that when we get inside the units we may find an SD card slot. That would mean you could upgrade your mem.
BTW How much was your 'without internal mem' model?

TechRemedy

Jan 4, 2011
Well, here's my /dev output:

# cd dev
# ls
vcsa7
vcs7
dun
wifimac
btmac
cpuctl
video20
mtd
msm_camera
block
diag
vcsa
vcs
graphics
q6venc
vdec
oncrpc
smdcntl2
smdcntl1
smdcntl0
ptmx
tty63
tty62
tty61
tty60
tty59
tty58
tty57
tty56
tty55
tty54
tty53
tty52
tty51
tty50
tty49
tty48
tty47
tty46
tty45
tty44
tty43
tty42
tty41
tty40
tty39
tty38
tty37
tty36
tty35
tty34
tty33
tty32
tty31
tty30
tty29
tty28
tty27
tty26
tty25
tty24
tty23
tty22
tty21
tty20
tty19
tty18
tty17
tty16
tty15
tty14
tty13
tty12
tty11
tty10
tty9
tty8
tty7
tty6
tty5
tty4
tty3
tty2
tty1
tty0
console
tty
smd21
smd36
smd27
smd7
smd0
akm8973_aot
akm8973_dev
kgsl
system_bus_freq
network_throughput
network_latency
cpu_dma_latency
autolight
log
binder
alarm
keychord
uinput
accel
android_adb_enable
android_adb
tgt
pmem_smipool
pmem_adsp
pmem
ashmem
msm_audio_ctl
msm_audio_route
msm_dtmf
msm_mp3
msm_amr_in
msm_evrc_in
msm_qcelp_in
msm_aac_in
msm_pcm_in
msm_pcm_out
nmea
qmi2
qmi1
qmi0
smem_log
mem_notify
kmsg
urandom
random
full
zero
null
kmem
mem
rtc1
rtc0
i2c-1
i2c-0
card0
ttyMSM2
ttyHS0
input
socket
pts

I'm noticing /dev/card0 but no other card devices. Hmmm...I will keep exploring.

TechRemedy

Jan 4, 2011
TechRemedy
I just read your last post and I suspect that when we get inside the units we may find an SD card slot. That would mean you could upgrade your mem.
BTW How much was your 'without internal mem' model?

It was $319 plus 7 bucks for shipping.

I opted out of the Best Buy one even though it was cheaper...it's a principle thing...I don't support BB.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
Just realised that all you say would mean that there is another area of on board mem common to all models. ie app installation area!

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
As well as RAM! Yikes.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
If yours is from Expansys then they do a lot of their bulk buying on the Far East market and sometimes end up retailing an oddball or two.
But Huawei wouldn't make a special model for them so I'm really thinking we could have sdcard slot inside.

zenkibuta

Nov 12, 2010
did you check whether your internal SD card is mounted? Go to Settings -> SD CArd & tablet. See if you can see the option "Mount Internal SD Card"

TechRemedy

Jan 4, 2011
did you check whether your internal SD card is mounted? Go to Settings -> SD CArd & tablet. See if you can see the option "Mount Internal SD Card"

Yes, I checked. There is no "Mount Internal SD Card" option. There is "Internal Tablet Storage", and "SD card". The "Internal Tablet Storage" refers to the 175MB that it came with. The "SD card" refers to the actual MicroSD Card that I have inserted. When I remove my SD card, all of the SD card options gray out.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
I just checked mine and I have internal storage, sdcard, and sdcard2. Both sdcards are 8GB and that's what shows up (less fat and headroom allocation)!
So it seems that it is very likely that we have a slot inside that can be populated as deemed fit by various model sellers.
And unpgraded by the user!
So we could have ROM area, RAM, internal storage and two sdcard slots.
I've got to get it opened up!

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
Hey Tech Remedy
As you seem to have a generic model what is the firmware version
I'm guessing S7 V100R001C60B01?