Good news/Bad News -Walgreen Online only this week M-150 for $99.00

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
M-150.jpg

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ma...-pc-powered-by-android/ID=prod6047418-product

Good news: Another large company is trying the market with a low cost tablet
Bad news: Another large company with no support model is trying the market with a low cost tablet

Good news: It is only $99.00 and is available for pickup at any Walgreens
Bad news: The statement of 4 delivery days may not be met.

Good news: It is an indicator there is market interest in low cost IPad competitors
Bad news: The lack of support or sophistication will mean a similar event potentially to the K-Mart tablet fiasco.

Good news: There are specs available. See Below
Bad news: It is another low power VIA8505 tablet. This means it will work as an E-Reader, Web Browser, and LOW-Res video capable solution. It also means the YouTube install will be iffy at best and low resolution.

Good news: It uses supposedly a regular SD card and not Micro SD for external storage
Bad news: The 1500MA battery will not be a long life unit

Unknown and Doubtful:
1. Market is likely NOT installed. All additional apps will need to be sideloaded via SD card or direct download
2. Firmware is either fixed or limited in upgrade potential.

Bottom Line: Want a low price tablet to learn and prepare for a higher quality unit or just a basic tablet which can be used as a web browser/e-reader?
Best Part: You can easily return it to your closest Walgreens for exchange or replacement. You cannot do that with a unit from E-Bay or even other online vendors

MID M-150 Specs:
Operating System: Android 1.6 version

M-150 Universe Tablet PC Specifications: CPU ARM9(VM8505+)
Memory RAM 128MB DDR Flash Built-in Flash
Display Touch Panel 7" TFT LCD Resolution 800 X 480 Pixels
WIFI 802.11b/g
Input/Output Touch Panel - Resistive type touch panel
Speaker Built-in loud speaker, 1W
SD/MMC card slot USB USB 2.0 high speed
Buttons/Switches Power On/Off, Reset Charger Input AC 100-240V, 0.5A
Battery Built-in Li-Polymer battery Output 9V, 1500MA
Physical Characteristics Dimension 7.5" X 4.6" X 0.3" Weight 12 OZ

Last edited:

joesc

Aug 9, 2010
According to the manufacturer, here are the specs: (ML-205 GPS System Features)

CPU ARM9(VM8505+) Memory RAM256MB DDR FlashBuilt-in FlashDisplay Touch Panel 7" TFT LCD Resolution 800 X 480 Pixels WIFI802.11b/gInput/OutputTouch Panel
Resistive type touch panel SpeakerBuilt-in loud speaker, 1W SD/MMCT-Flash card slot USBUSB 2.0 high speed Buttons/SwitchesPower On/Off, Reset BatteryBuilt-in Li-Polymer battery ChargerInputAC 100-240V, 0.5A Output9V, 1500MA Physical CharacteristicsDimension7.5" X 4.6" X 0.3" Weight12 OZ

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
That's the newest Merger Chip from VIA Group Division - Wonder Media Technology so instead of WM8505 (300MHz with OC of 350MHz, 375MHz, 387MHz, 400MHz) and VIA VT8505 (400MHz with OC of 450MHz, 528MHz, 533MHz) they come with VM8505+ 400MHz.

Yesterday it was 128MB for the RAM reported. Now it's 256MB. This unit doesn't even have Camera/Camcorder or 3G or 10/100 port like ePads offers. I guess they have to cut out some key selling points to bring in at $99 price factor. I heard shipping from online Walgreen's is only 2 days.

72451_444973417948_579882948_5422076_5032606_n.jpg

Last edited:

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
WM is shortform for Wonder Media actually.
$99 is about right for these tablets. They are selling for as low as ~$50US equivalent in China.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
WM is shortform for Wonder Media actually.
$99 is about right for these tablets. They are selling for as low as ~$50US equivalent in China.

WMT8505
WM8505
But VIA merge with WMT (Wonder Media Technology) But they are just a group but still produce the WM. ARMJ Processor very popular.

37936_445554507948_579882948_5430297_2507131_n.jpg

Jul 15, 2010
Debating on snagging it as a cheap Kindle reader, wouldn't want to take a Samsung Tab on the mountain and risk dropping it. ;)

rstotland

Oct 22, 2010
I just received my M-150 from Walgreens on Thursday, while I ordered on Monday night. I paid the extra $5 for faster processing, and it probably also helped that I am located in Michigan, which is where both Walgreens shipped it from and where Maylong seems to be located as well. I have to say, so far I am very surprised by the unit, the build quality is not that bad, it is plastic but feels sturdy. The screen is nice, and responds well to finger touching, although they did throw in a stylus, which you cannot put into the unit for storage, I have not had to use it yet. The android version is 1.6, I have emailed Maylong asking about possible upgrades, as their site at one time stated it was a 2.0, the app market works, but selection is limited. I was able to download and install 3 out of 4 apps I have tried so far, including the Kindle app. Using the Aldiko ebook reader was great, plugged in my microSD card, was able to download book from the web onto it and reading them was great.

On initial charge, of only about an hour or so, I have used the device for about 2 hours, with constant internet connection, and downloading books/apps, it still had battery power when I was done, so as an ebook reader it should do well for me.

The thing is, this device looks exactly like all the epad/apads out there, same configuration and whatnot, now I dont neceserally need it, but if those devices can be rooted to 2.0 or abobe, do you think it would work on this one?

For those of you wondering if they want to pick one up, I say go for it if you want a toy to play around with. The internet browsing is ok, a bit slow, but the tablet itself is pretty solid. I was pleased with the money I spent on it so far and would have been disappointed if this was a $200 device.

Jul 15, 2010
For those of you wondering if they want to pick one up, I say go for it if you want a toy to play around with. The internet browsing is ok, a bit slow, but the tablet itself is pretty solid. I was pleased with the money I spent on it so far and would have been disappointed if this was a $200 device.

Thanks, I've been waiting for someone with one to give their input. :) I want it as an ebook too so it sounds perfect for my needs since the apad doesn't do Kindle. If it handles same I'm good. :cool:

broken screen

Oct 25, 2010
on another forum, people are reporting that the m150 came with a camera (low res) and microphone. does your's have camera and mic?

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Mine is on it's way, so I can't report back anything I until it gets here. I know it's based on the Gome Flytouch ePad. So basically it's my ePad. But it sports a newest VT VM8505+ 400MHz. I want to make sure that's what inside. VIA TW tells me it's 300MHz. I am still waiting on my VIA Engineer contact to clarify? VIA WonderMedia Tablet is going to be sold in the USA for 7" $100 to 8" $200 bucks based on the Android OS 1.6 and the VM8505+ CPU.

Last edited by a moderator:

lawalty

Nov 5, 2010
I just received my M-150 from Walgreens on Thursday, while I ordered on Monday night. I paid the extra $5 for faster processing, and it probably also helped that I am located in Michigan, which is where both Walgreens shipped it from and where Maylong seems to be located as well. I have to say, so far I am very surprised by the unit, the build quality is not that bad, it is plastic but feels sturdy. The screen is nice, and responds well to finger touching, although they did throw in a stylus, which you cannot put into the unit for storage, I have not had to use it yet. The android version is 1.6, I have emailed Maylong asking about possible upgrades, as their site at one time stated it was a 2.0, the app market works, but selection is limited. I was able to download and install 3 out of 4 apps I have tried so far, including the Kindle app. Using the Aldiko ebook reader was great, plugged in my microSD card, was able to download book from the web onto it and reading them was great.

On initial charge, of only about an hour or so, I have used the device for about 2 hours, with constant internet connection, and downloading books/apps, it still had battery power when I was done, so as an ebook reader it should do well for me.

The thing is, this device looks exactly like all the epad/apads out there, same configuration and whatnot, now I dont neceserally need it, but if those devices can be rooted to 2.0 or abobe, do you think it would work on this one?

rstotland, you said you installed the Kindle app? Where did you get the Kindle app? What it from the pre-installed Android market that came with the device, or did you side-load it from off a SD card?

dewsr

Dec 5, 2010
Hi all. I got a M150 about a month ago. I find it fine for reading, and playing movies on the go. While the movies look ok, it is not close to watching them on a computer. To get the AV to stay in sync, I have to use 15 fps. I am posting this from my tablet and it is almost panfull to type. Iam hoping to find a faster/better browser, movie player and Mp3 player. For $100 I am content with it's performence. It is good for what itcan do, but is really slow as a web browser.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Hi all. I got a M150 about a month ago. I find it fine for reading, and playing movies on the go. While the movies look ok, it is not close to watching them on a computer. To get the AV to stay in sync, I have to use 15 fps. I am posting this from my tablet and it is almost panfull to type. Iam hoping to find a faster/better browser, movie player and Mp3 player. For $100 I am content with it's performence. It is good for what itcan do, but is really slow as a web browser.

Go here