Google Experience

ImagineThat

Dec 2, 2010
Hello to all. I'll save the lengthy introduction, but I'm new to Android and excitedly playing with my new tablet. I, like may of you here, picked one of these up on Black Friday.

I've got the Google Experience installed with a working market, thanks to all the other information here and at slatedroid (thanks gottahavit and tipstir). I also am running Launcher Pro. Since it seems like so many are trying to do the same thing I figured I'd start a thread where we can help each other out...I can probably help other newbies as I just went through everything for the first time myself.

To the advanced users and experts out there I have a few comments and questions after installing the google experience (gottahavit’s link to gev.zip, a modified google experience originally posted by clockworx for the PDN):
1) The default launcher does not auto rotate as it once did. However, it looks like the default launcher was replaced by the GE install? Launcher Pro still rotates with the screen. Can I get the original launcher back?
2) Related to the launcher being replaced…out of the box the home “widget” screen had a weather widget. It still constantly tires to connect to update the weather, but I can’t get to that original home screen now. The widget isn’t on any screen within the default launcher or Launcher Pro (I can add it, but don’t want too)! Is there a way to stop the widget?
3) After doing the GE install and ugly market thing my tablet seems to have some lag to it, especially when playing Angry Birds. This wasn’t the case before…
4) If I want to uninstall some or all of the GE how do I go about uninstalling system apps? Is it as easy as deleting the apk file (with root explorer or something)? They were all installed through adb with a series of commands in a batch file. I don’t know much linux, and it seems the adb shell is slightly different than standard linux anyway. The commands to get the stuff onto the tablet are:

adb remount
adb push .\gev1\system /system
adb shell rm /data/dalvik-cache/*
adb shell reboot

UPDATE:
My woes are solved by upgrading the firmware to 2.02.

Last edited:

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
To go back to the stock launcher..

go to "menu" -> "aplications" -> "manage aplications"... let the apps all load in the list, scroll down and select "launcher pro" from here you can uninstall the app entirely.. which wil then only leave yournative home..or you can hit "clear defaults" and that should then allow you the option to select which "home" app you want to use when you hit the home button...

At least this is the procedure for most all Android devices.. I dont' have this tablet specifically.... but this should work.... unless of course you're using an ROM that has Laucher pro as the only launcher...

and to my knowledge I think most of the G-experience apps are intertwined and prob wouldn't do to start deleting aspects of it. XDA would be the best place to start exploring all that...

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
ImagineThat: Great stuff... once I get my tablet, i'm sure I will have a ton of questions :)

ImagineThat

Dec 2, 2010
Swould: Thanks for the advice. I think my "problem" may go a little deeper. Let me try to explain - Stock out of the box there was a basic launcher. I installed Launcher Pro and liked using it. Then, I pushed the g-exp onto the device. I noticed some lag and though maybe Launcher Pro was to blame so I ended up uninstalling it through settings>manage applications. The launcher I am back to is DIFFERENT than what I started with...I think the g-exp package I installed changed it. Unfortunatley for me, if it got over-written, I was dumb enough to not back anything up. Guess I may have learned that lesson.

Any advice on how to uninstall g-exp that was pushed onto the device as system applications, so they can't be uninstalled through settings>manage applications?

bigwooly

Nov 24, 2010
you'll have to use the recovery partition on the device
i've gotten mine to restore back to stock 6 or 8 times but still don't know exactly the pattern of key presses i'm using to get it there
if i figure it out i'll post it here.

it's some combo of holding reset,power and menu when starting the device but everytime i think i know what i did it doesn't work again the next time.

i'm at this same crossroads i want market but don't want the launcher that's in the gev.zip. I'm thinking about just pulling the launcher.apk folder from the gev\system\app and trying the push without it.

i'm really trying to figure out the recovery key combo before i give this a go. Don't really want to have to take this back to the store because i bricked it.

my 2 year old just stole it to play connect the dots so i'll see what i can do about the reset command.

to answer your question no they can't be uninstalled through manage applications. the experience install actually replaces your stock launcher in the system/app folder

bigwooly

Nov 24, 2010
to restore to default rom (recovery mode)
with device off

push power turn on as normal

Once you see the infotmic logo press and hold power and menu

When you see white text On the screen release power and menu

You will see a message the says something along the lines of "to boot in recovery press the require keys"

Press power and menu again and it will reflash the most recent manufacturer update you downloaded.

Hope this helps

Sent from my p7901a using Tapatalk

bigwooly

Nov 24, 2010
after wiping my device with the instructions i posted above. I tried pushing the google experience again but this time i removed the launcher apk from the gev1\system\app\ folder before pushing. i followed the rest of the instructions to the letter and my market is working just fine and i still have the stock launcher.

i do still have the problem of the whole screen going green on boot but it goes to normal after hitting the menu key.

ImagineThat

Dec 2, 2010
Thanks for the updates, glad you finally figured out the combination! That's great, and a key feature of this 2.02 update. My problem of wanting to "uninstall" the google experience is moot at this point since the update took care of wiping it for me.

My 2 year old loves drawing on it, can hardly use it myself when she's up!

ImagineThat

Dec 2, 2010
I kind of want the market back, and several other GE apps, but certainly dont need them all. I'm curious to start experimenting with the minimal package that can be installed: maps, talk, and market.

With my previous GE push (albeit on firmware 1.01) I noticed a lag in some apps...most notably Angry Birds. I CAN'T have that ;)

Last edited: