Guess what my NC can do ???

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
well just for fun downloaded xpiano.... ( free app)
and guess what my NC can now do?

Play the Piano.... check it out I have no music talent but maybe you do... just more FUN on the NC.....:D

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
On that note...OK not really related, but I just had to chime in and let you know: my Sling adapter is arriving tomorrow. You have NO IDEA how excited I am. OK, maybe you actually do. :)

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I have this app, pretty cool. 2 point multi-touch as well; wish more points worked.

jaythedogg

Jan 24, 2011
I have this app, pretty cool. 2 point multi-touch as well; wish more points worked.

rico2001,

Not to derail the thread, but how stable is your NC running OC'd to 1.1GHz?

Power consumption pretty heavy? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to derail the thread anymore...

Oh & I am likely going to DL xpiano too. :p

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
rico2001,

Not to derail the thread, but how stable is your NC running OC'd to 1.1GHz?

Power consumption pretty heavy? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to derail the thread anymore...

Oh & I am likely going to DL xpiano too. :p
Remember that the custom kernels have lower voltages, so they are designed to use less power than the stock kernel. Of course, that's not based on firsthand experience, just on what I've read. ;)

-Matt

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
On that note...OK not really related, but I just had to chime in and let you know: my Sling adapter is arriving tomorrow. You have NO IDEA how excited I am. OK, maybe you actually do. :)

-Matt
Ok Matt.. let me know what you think once you get the sling installed.. I bet you fall IN LOVE with it .....!!!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Ok Matt.. let me know what you think once you get the sling installed.. I bet you fall IN LOVE with it .....!!!
Well, it took all of 10 seconds to install the adapter. It works great in the house, though it seems a bit better on a laptop and netbook then the NC. Two first impressions:

(1) Are the buttons a bit tricky (e.g., play/plause, zoom, etc.)? Seems like they need just the right press to work.

(2) Playback at work (with an 802.11g router) was...a bit "meh." Not as nice as home with 802.11n. It is a greater distance, but remember that I have the Dish wired directly to my router. I have pretty crappy 3G in town, so not sure how things will look if I tether off my Droid.

I still picture you in your car--looooong red light--and you whip out the NC and start watching something. :cool: Maybe I need to adjust my expectations for video quality a bit down from what I'm seeing in the house? Let me know if you've tuned any settings or parameters that improves performance.

-Matt

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
glad you are up and running...w the Sling adapter.
no I didn't chg any setting but I have a strong 3g in my state's area..Central Florida..
. try adding the Dish app on your Droid and she how it works there.. ..... It works very very well on both the NC and the Droid for me.. If you don't see any difference call the Dish tech and ask for ONLY the people that work on the Dish sling app... they checked everything with me when I was first adding it to my droid and got it up and running but I did nothing on my end but they did do something on their end.... but it was before the last update ot he app
Keep me updated.... ....

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Thanks for reminding me! ARGH, my Droid crashes when the video begins to stream! :( Works fine on the NC, but consistently crashes on the Droid. Of course I'm rooted with all kinds of modified system files, so not sure if any of those are to blame (I somehow doubt it). I think I'll take your advice and cal Dish technical support.

(Was just waiting for my kids to finish music lessons, so I decided to check out my DVR with the laptop, "borrowing" some free wifi from a neighboring house!)

-Matt