Hardware Version 11.2.#.# updates

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
As suspected there are various versions of hardware thus different software updates are being detected.

Confirm your hardware version using /proc/cmdline
This file shows the kernel parameters that were passed during boot.

Example output:

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>adb shell
# cat /proc/cmdline
cat /proc/cmdline
console=ttySAC3,115200 androidboot.mode=normal bmagic=0xeef07901 hwver=11.2.0.6
#
Then insert your hwver after "data=" in the example url below the paste it in a new browser session to identify what update is being downloaded.

Example - 222.73.93.45/sysup.php?data=hwver&vcode=0

http://222.73.93.45/sysup.php?data=11.2.0.6&vcode=0

Returns
PHP:
11|http://222.73.93.45/update/11.2.0.6/11.2.0.6.2.0_beta3.ius
http://222.73.93.45/sysup.php?data=11.2.1.5&vcode=0

Returns
PHP:
12|http://222.73.93.45/update/11.2.1.5/11.2.1.5.2.0_beta3_1.ius
Neither of which has been confirmed to get past the Loading. . . step of the update process therefore isn't updating the device.

An initial comparison of the files shows they are different. You can interrupt the process when your device states "Loading ..." push the "Reset" pin on the back. The file will be saved in "/local". If you allow to go past "Loading ..." and it reboots the file will be wiped.

Once there is a working update file , (insert your complaint here) the process should follow in these steps - Downloading..., Loading..., Reading update package, Expanding..., Burning ..., reboot.

Please post your Hardware Version until we identify a version that will actually update.

Update: Try at your own risk.

Way before my time forum member gottahavit made some valuable discoveries in this thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...vania-synet7lp-work-progress-4.html#post13195 about the update process. Now that we have an update file, I followed his steps without bricking my device. However, nothing noticeable has changed so more work to do. Maybe if you have the "update from SD" issue you may different results. So, if you're a risk taker and don't fear bricking your device give it a go. Here are the steps.

Using the information above, download the appropriate file.
Rename the file system.bin and place on device in /local (This assumes you have a working knowledge of using adb)

Then from a shell command run the following -

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>[B]adb shell[/B]
# [B]infoup inject /local/system.bin[/B]
Returns
Code:
infoup inject /local/system.bin
Partition: /dev/mtd/mtd2
Size: 134217728
progress: 

......................................Program OK. blocks:16434
#
Then issue to following command to Reboot.
Code:
# infoup reboot
Returns
Code:
infoup reboot
The device should reboot to the INFOtm and hopefully load normally. Good luck. Post your results if you get a Firmware version other than DG2.02

Last edited:

natura

Mar 3, 2011
My first line results were the same as yours.
My second resulted in "not found"

then the prompt doesn't return til I hit return and it offers up this statement:
[1] Done (127) http://222.73.93.45/sysup.php?data=11.2.0.6

If it couldn't find any thing what was there to be done??

Also- doing this in terminal on device. I haven't connect this device to SUSE or windows yet successfully

edit info now I was a tad worried at my response "not found" and decided to do an update. I left my root and I left my optional keyboard along with my ADW launcher. Hit update and about 22 minutes later I didn't have the nerve to hit reset LOL. And I use to complain about those 8 minute updates. So she booted up fine with ADW doing her thing along with the keyboard and all my other apps...no difference in Kernel or software version. I haven't snooped into file system yet...but there is another update available rofl. I will also repeat the commands above to see if there is any changes, BRB

My results were the same.data=11.2.0.6: not found (and no prompt return) hit return results the same Done (127)

Last edited:

ImagineThat

Dec 2, 2010
Just curious, the last update I thought downloaded onto the device as "system.bin". These latest files are *.ius

I don't know much about linux, programming, etc, but what is an IUS file? What happens if the name is changed to system.bin?

Also, back here, past #34 - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/android-tablet-news/2207-sylvania-synet7lp-work-progress-4.html gottahavit suggested two commands to load an update.

"drop system.bin in the /local folder then bring up terminal on the device
issue infoup inject /local/system.bin #you'll see a progress "..." and it should say OK
issue infoup reboot"

I tried this, since I have the system.bin file from the December update to 2.02, and it does show "progress ...." but then when I issue the reboot command it doesn't actually begin the flash / burning process and just starts normal

Just some food for thought...

natura

Mar 3, 2011
, but what is an IUS file? .

Maybe this might be helpful?

InfoTM X220 (Flytouch II, WOWpad, SuperPAD) ROM Development - Page 134 - xda-developers

and this second response (pretty clear cut how close we are getting hehe I say we ahem it's not me lol)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=938082&page=2

Ok- I did a reset before it loaded the image..I now see a system.ius which is 64.2 MB My system image is only 53

I did the first two commands above again. My version numbers same as yours..my results on the second one 222.73.93.45/sysup.php?data=11.2.0.6: not found

(Why is the server for the same hardware returning different answers is confusing to me..of course it doesn't take much HA)

OK more stuff found about IUS:
http://www.eduunix.ccut.edu.cn/index/pdf/O'Reilly - Programming the Perl DBI.pdf
The DBD::Informix module supports Informix OnLine and SE from version 5.00 onwards. There are
some restrictions in the support for IUS (a.k.a., IDS/UDO). It uses Informix-ESQL/C (a.k.a., Informix
ClientSDK). You must have a development license for Informix-ESQL/C (or the C-code version of
Informix-4GL) to be able to compile the DBD::Informix code.
For more information, refer to:
http://www.informix.com
http://www.iiug.org

Informatica SDK's anyone? (probably not)
https://community.informatica.com/community/developers
But this might be a gem (must learn fast -a trial) the latest IBM® Informix®
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/informix/downloads.html

Last edited:

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Just curious, the last update I thought downloaded onto the device as "system.bin". These latest files are *.ius

I don't know much about linux, programming, etc, but what is an IUS file? What happens if the name is changed to system.bin?

Also, back here, past #34 - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/android-tablet-news/2207-sylvania-synet7lp-work-progress-4.html gottahavit suggested two commands to load an update.

"drop system.bin in the /local folder then bring up terminal on the device
issue infoup inject /local/system.bin #you'll see a progress "..." and it should say OK
issue infoup reboot"

I tried this, since I have the system.bin file from the December update to 2.02, and it does show "progress ...." but then when I issue the reboot command it doesn't actually begin the flash / burning process and just starts normal

Just some food for thought...

ImagineThat - I stumbled upon the same commands while reviewing more files extracted from the Settings.apk where the UpdateCheck process is initiated which lead me to the same thread you posted. I have updated the OP with that information and more details. I also had the same experience using the downloaded .ius file renaming to system.bin but no burn either, just reboot, so more work to do. Thanks keep trying.

Last edited:

ImagineThat

Dec 2, 2010
Another great idea...and another fail. I thought maybe after "injecting" the new file (renamed to system.bin) I'd try a system restore. It restored fine (thank goodness) but just back to the stock 2.02 firmware, nothing new.

stackdump

Mar 3, 2011
HW version: 11.2.1.5
Model: SYNET7LP
Firmware: DG2.0.1
Kernel: 2.6.32.9 zhouli@judy-pc #31

All week since I've had it (got on 03-01) it's told me a update is available and I've been in the update loop. Now it says I'm current and no update available, yet my version numbers have been the same since day one.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
HW version: 11.2.0.6
Model: SYNET7LP
Firmware: DG2.02
Kernel: 2.6.32.9 (warits@msuG) #43

Different hardware, different Kernel builds = Firmware differences ??????

Same as you I have been in the update loop all weekend and I just "Check updating" again after your post and received "System is the latest!".

I'm continuing to sift through the code now that we have a couple examples of update files to hopefully uncover 1) how to get the bootloader to initiate a recovery 2) where is the recovery 3) how to load from SD 4) anything else useful

Update: Firmware version is hard coded into the DeviceInfoSettings of the Settings.apk

.line 61
const-string v1, "firmware_version"

const-string v2, "DG2.02"

Therefore, no matter what you do until a new version of the Setting.apk is installed on the device the version number will NOT change.

Last edited:

ImagineThat

Dec 2, 2010
Update: Firmware version is hard coded into the DeviceInfoSettings of the Settings.apk

.line 61
const-string v1, "firmware_version"

const-string v2, "DG2.02"

Therefore, no matter what you do until a new version of the Setting.apk is installed on the device the version number will NOT change.

Interesting. Nice work so far. I have some more food for thought, that's all I can offer until I learn linux/Androis sometime in the future ;)

1) When you issue the "inforup inject" command it appears to unpack the source file into /dev/mtd/mtd2. This, I believe, is the recovery partition. How can we access this to see what files are actually there, can it be mounted somehow?

2) Some members were working on porting clorkwork recovery to this device so that we could start workign on custom ROMs (here - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum.../3607-porting-clockwork-recovery-tablets.html). There appeared to be some issues with unpacking the img files that were taken from the tablet, possibly a different file system than other tablets in the same genre. The effort seems to have dropped off, but I have a PM into the OP to see what I may be able to learn.

3) Other than the inject command, is there a way to unpack the *.bin or *.ius file? That kind of goes with my first point...can we get a look at what files are actually part of the update download?

I have not tried checking for updates since yesterday morning, so not sure if I will get "System is the latest!" or not, but you get a response of "1" when checking the hwver at "222.73.93.45/sysup.php?data=hwver&vcode=0" now, so I'm guessing that's the case for all of us. Perhaps DG finally caught up after 8 days of the updates NOT working.

stackdump

Mar 3, 2011
HW version: 11.2.0.6
Different hardware, different Kernel builds = Firmware differences ??????

I'm continuing to sift through the code now that we have a couple examples of update files to hopefully uncover 1) how to get the bootloader to initiate a recovery 2) where is the recovery 3) how to load from SD 4) anything else useful

I wish my version had a recovery image or some way to load it from SD since DG doesn't seem to be forthcoming with a recovery option other than the one in the settings app that just wipes personal info basicly. I'm a little too concerned to try much without a recovery option.

I wonder if there's a way to get the settings.apk file from someone with a newer version (I've heard some say that their tab supports the accelerometer after update by turning it on in the settings app) and installing it on mine in order to get access to different things. According to the android system info app my tab does have the accelerometer hardware in it, for example. But no option to turn it on in the settings app.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting. Nice work so far. I have some more food for thought, that's all I can offer until I learn linux/Androis sometime in the future ;)

ImagineThat we have a similar thought process. With guidance provided by bigwooly and others in earlier posts I am trying to learn by doing.

1) When you issue the "inforup inject" command it appears to unpack the source file into /dev/mtd/mtd2. This, I believe, is the recovery partition. How can we access this to see what files are actually there, can it be mounted somehow?

I have tried the following to determine if /dev/mtd/mtd2 "resv" is Recovery?

Code:
C:\adb shell
# cat proc/mtd

dev:    size   erasesize  name
 mtd0: 00200000 00080000 "ramdisk"
 mtd1: 00600000 00080000 "kernel"
 mtd2: 08000000 00080000 "resv"
 mtd3: 0c000000 00080000 "system"
 mtd4: 3d800000 00080000 "userdata"
 mtd5: 04000000 00080000 "cache"
 mtd6: 1ff00000 00080000 "Local-disk"
 mtd7: 00100000 00080000 "panic"
In seperate attempts, each method below has resulted in a creating a file image Size: 128 MB (134,217,728 bytes), however after inspection the files are empty/blank. I am doing something wrong but haven't figure it out yet. bigwooly was able to create a resv.img for the porting effort below that I have as an example.

Code:
#cat /dev/mtd/mtd2 > /sdcard/mtd2.img
Trying a different way to create the image.
Code:
#dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd2 of=/sdcard/mtd2.img bs=4096
If anyone can provide insight as to why nothing is contained within the 128 MB created file it would be appreciated as I must be failing to execute the proper commands.

2) Some members were working on porting clorkwork recovery to this device so that we could start workign on custom ROMs (here - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum.../3607-porting-clockwork-recovery-tablets.html). There appeared to be some issues with unpacking the img files that were taken from the tablet, possibly a different file system than other tablets in the same genre. The effort seems to have dropped off, but I have a PM into the OP to see what I may be able to learn.

I've participated in this discussion as well with no success in moving it forward. Another approach would be to have someone send their device to the author of Porting Clockwork Recovery to New Devices with a request to port the recovery.

3) Other than the inject command, is there a way to unpack the *.bin or *.ius file? That kind of goes with my first point...can we get a look at what files are actually part of the update download?

I have made several attempts following in gottahavit's attempts last year to unpack both system.bin and the downloaded update .ius files with unyaffs without success. Viewing with a hex editor shows some readable ASCII but again just more things to investigate. I have been able to Decompile the "init" ELF file but still no nuggets worth reporting.

I have not tried checking for updates since yesterday morning, so not sure if I will get "System is the latest!" or not, but you get a response of "1" when checking the hwver at "222.73.93.45/sysup.php?data=hwver&vcode=0" now, so I'm guessing that's the case for all of us. Perhaps DG finally caught up after 8 days of the updates NOT working.

Finally, the Firmware version is not changing because it's coded into the Settings.apk I am noticing different Kernel version's as member's post their findings. This is dynamically created when you view this screen.

Kernel: 2.6.32.9 (warits@msuG) #43

Last edited:

stackdump

Mar 3, 2011
Code:
#cat /dev/mtd/mtd2 > /sdcard/mtd2.img

cfrockit. I did the process you said that I quoted here. In my case it created a file that is 59MB in size, and is far from empty. I'm not sure what is in it or if it's even worth anything but was curious to give it a try. Would it be of any value to you? or can you give me any ideas what I can do with said file?

bigwooly

Nov 24, 2010
cfrockit. I did the process you said that I quoted here. In my case it created a file that is 59MB in size, and is far from empty. I'm not sure what is in it or if it's even worth anything but was curious to give it a try. Would it be of any value to you? or can you give me any ideas what I can do with said file?
does your tablet have a working recovery image? can you give it the three finger salute and wipe and reformat?

stackdump

Mar 3, 2011
does your tablet have a working recovery image? can you give it the three finger salute and wipe and reformat?

Negative, I get the dreaded "No image found, try recovery from SD" message. I wouldn't mind so much if there was actually a way to recover from SD.

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
Does anyone have the recovery.img file? Could someone with the full scale tablet make a recovery img and upload it here? I dont think the system.bin in a update.zip will work. at least it doesn't seem to be.
If we had the recovery.img file I wold be willing to try it on my device.