HC 3.1 What do you see that has changed?

JPaul

May 27, 2011
I have combed the Market looking for a basic video editing app. I am very pleased to have the new app included in 3.1. It's a nice basic video editing program. Did anyone find a screen capture app?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
People really got new apps with this? Huh. So I guess my update hasn't kicked in. Weird. I got the update and downloaded it, but then it told me that the tablet would be unusable while the upgrade installed, so I told it to install later. Now it's later. How do I get it to install? (When I check for updates, the system now tells me that it is up to date, but it still tells me I'm running 3.0.1.)

You already downloaded it, but not installed it, just try a reboot.

saurabh

May 22, 2011
the biggest change i observed was the mp4 HD vid playback quality, it used to be quite laggy for me earlier, now its superb. But NTFS filesystem is still not supported, tht was one of the first things i checked, didn't detect my external hdd. Wonder when honeycomb would add support for it.

whitegoose

May 21, 2011
The biggest difference I've noticed is not a good one unfortunately... since installing 3.1 my a500 is noticeably slower. Unlocking the lock screen it sometimes hangs for a few seconds, closing an app it clearly lags, widgets take longer to load. Overall it is definitely slower. Anyone else get this?

dhornick

May 12, 2011
The biggest difference I've noticed is not a good one unfortunately... since installing 3.1 my a500 is noticeably slower. Unlocking the lock screen it sometimes hangs for a few seconds, closing an app it clearly lags, widgets take longer to load. Overall it is definitely slower. Anyone else get this?

i was going to say mine seems faster...
also i found a new app called zinio reader with a few magazines pre loaded and a ton more you can subscribe to. but my fav changes so far have to be resizeable widgets and being able to scroll through ALL of my open apps on the multitasking

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I get a lot of FCs in clear.fi and also in MobileNavigator after the update. I loaded Navigon after the update, however.

KiwiNessie

May 9, 2011
Yippee! My regular usb mouse now works and it didn't before the update.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

unix1adm

May 20, 2011
Last night it asked me to update but I wanted to do a little reading first so I said cancel. How do I get the update to come down now?

I went to the About tablet in setting and selected system update but it says its up to date.

I know that's not true it says android version 3.0.1

I should mention i have powered it off and on

Last edited:

kwhabq

Apr 27, 2011
New nook reader app is a problem.
I had the downloadable nook app from the market installed.

When the new version arrived, it forced this new nook app onto my tablet which was incompatible with my
existing books database causing it to crash every time, till I told it to clear all data for the nook app in settings.
Then the new version would run.

But you can no longer delete this app. More shovelware you can't get rid of. How big a bribe did Barnes and
Noble have to offer Acer for that little surprise!!???

Further, it seems starts every time you boot the tablet, unlike the market version which started only on
demand. So there goes another 16meg of memory.

Thanks, cleared data, signed in to account, redownloaded books, and it works fine now. Thanks to the forum for providing us with ability to share these fixes.

Ken

superhotluv

Jul 4, 2011
Last night it asked me to update but I wanted to do a little reading first so I said cancel. How do I get the update to come down now?

I went to the About tablet in setting and selected system update but it says its up to date.

I know that's not true it says android version 3.0.1

I should mention i have powered it off and on

unfortunately some software is conflicting with the latest update, and not intiating the upgrade process. The same thing happened with me. I landed up downloading the upgrade. 3 times, after which I did a factory reset, and then the upgrade process was a breeze.

Though this might not be the best solution, but it really worked....?

Try it.........:)

romhad

Jun 28, 2011
Here's a question: I've added apps to the existing shortcuts (for example, I've added FB Reader and Moon Reader to the EReading shortcut). But every time I download an update to any of these from the market, they get removed from the shortcuts page! This is impressively annoying, since every time I have to remember what was supposed to be in that folder. Do others have that problem? More importantly, does 3.1 fix it?

unix1adm

May 20, 2011
unfortunately some software is conflicting with the latest update, and not intiating the upgrade process. The same thing happened with me. I landed up downloading the upgrade. 3 times, after which I did a factory reset, and then the upgrade process was a breeze.

Though this might not be the best solution, but it really worked....?

Try it.........:)

how do you download the update if the tablet does not think it needs it

unix1adm

May 20, 2011
so i called acer at 18005712237 and spoke to charles in level 2 support.

dont waste your time with online chat or level 1 phone support. they have no idea there was an update sent out.

well he said if yyou refused the update that you could not force the update back down. google is sending it out to different areas. so basicaly you have to wait for the next push and the tablet should pick it up automaticaly.

so i guess i wait

hope this info helps you out.

cj