Hello All And A ?

fishy

Aug 2, 2010
Hello from Big D where it is HOT!!!!!

Just found this a few days ago and have been reading some good stuff. Thanks for the help and can't wait till a "ready for prime time tablet" is out.

What I am looking for is a tablet that is NOT phone capable. (it will be entertainment device mostly and sending occasional large files to customers when laptop is too cumbersome to start up.)

What I want to do when wifi is not available is to tether my BB and use that connection. I am assuming there will need to be an app on the tablet for that. I have a sprint app on laptop for that.

Does anybody know if such an app is available or may be written sometime?
I have no experience with Android.

Thanks for all the help,

Fishy

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
You need to have wifi tether to get any tethering connection over to the tablet. Typical implementation is adhoc, which Android OS doesn't support. But you can hack that.

The Overdrive or Mifi should work.

I don't know of an app for what you want..

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Welcome to the forum, and its more of the app thats on your BB if it broadcast in adhoc then you will have to do some hacking like xaueious said (but i dont think it can be done with every tablet) or if it broadcast a normal wireless network then your tablet will connect to it right out of the box

fishy

Aug 2, 2010
Hey guys,

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. What I am hoping for tethering is just a USB cable. I don't want to get into broadcasting wifi from my phone. Too much trouble for to get that to work. I won't be using it much like that but will help when I am at a major airport and don't want to pay 10 bucks to access wifi. I can do that it will make surfing much easier to change flights hotels and all the crud that comes with travel.

Thanks,

fishy

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I know what you were talking about. And I know of no such implementation, even on dev phones like the Nexus One. I'm saying exactly that.

fishy

Aug 2, 2010
Ok, thanks for the help.

I also realized after being on sprint for many many years, the company switched to T-Mo last month and I forgot I have a sim card. So if the stars align maybe I will be able to put that in my tablet and have it work.

Fishy