Hello all! Newbie here!

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Hey everyone! My husband and I are looking into buying a entry level tablet that will play videos and surf the web, nothing too intensive but we want it to do flash. We're kinda looking at the black friday ads and the Sylvania SYTAB7LP is looking good, (sears is gonna have it for $70 I think) has Android 2.2 from what I can tell, and it looks like it will do what we need it to. Hubby just wants to surf on the sofa while I am on my laptop and kiddo is on his desktop. I personally won't be using it but I want to do the leg work involved in getting us a decent one for under a hundred. I know we won't get iPad quality for that and that's fine, we're just looking for an entry level tablet that will play his videos and let him surf a bit from the sofa. I came across this forum the other day while researching the SYTAB7MX the one CVS is going to have for $94.99 this black friday, but after reading about the problems and lack of HDMI out we decided that wasn't the one for us, so we're going to see how the other stores have some sales for black friday, cyber monday. :)

Another one I am looking at is the Dell Duo, or the Streak, not sure, but they want too much for them at this point. If the Duo would drop down a couple hundred we might spring for that one, but I can't see paying $400 bucks for it. Thanks for having such a killer Android community to help people get answers to their Android related questions. I am really impressed with this place, so I registered! :D

Thanks again! :)

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Pamster - first off welcome to the site, glad to have you here. Sounds like you have a good grasp of what you can get for the money, and what is out there. As long as you don't expect TOO much the Sylvania is a great option for the price point. Definitely good value at $70. You are also right IMHO about the Dell, for those prices you can get a lot more!

Anyway, welcome and enjoy!

Cheers,
Peter

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Thanks for the warm welcome! I just saw the big lots latest ad and it's tempting, they have a 7" pandigital tablet-doesn't say which one sadly, but it's going to sell for $67 and I almost have enough on my Big Lot's rewards card in qualifying purchases to get 20% off that to make it a sweet $53 bucks. Thing is I don't know if it's what hubby would like or not.Going to have to read up some more. Thanks again for the welcome! I really think this is the best Android forum I've seen on the net. My hat's off to you! :D

This is what it says in the ad valid from 11-20-11 to 11-27-11

7" Android 2GB Tablet
$67
Extreme Value! Save 33% Compare To $99.99
New 7" Tablet Buyout! 2GB internal storage (up to 32GB with card), WiFi connectivity, check email, browse the web, watch videos & more, eBook application

tarkaboy

Nov 25, 2011
Hi everyone, I just bought a Sylvania SYTAB7MX 7" Touch Screen Android 2.2 Tablet with a Arm 11 1GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, 4GB flash internal storage, MicroSD CARD Slot (Up to 32GB) , Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, and with 1 Mini USB port, 1 Mini OTG slot, HDMI out (mini); 3000mAh Rechargeable Li-ion Battery. Will Uberoid work in it and which version and how do I install it? Do I remove everything else on it? Thanks.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Tarkaboy, welcome to the forum. You're going to have to post your question in the Sylvania Tablets section where the people with that tablet will see it and try to answer.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to say that I have really enjoyed the time I've spent researching android devices and I hope I have been helpful while I've been here. BUT, just this morning hubby and I got a email from dell and they had a incredible deal on their Mini 1012, a device we've had previously and 'gifted' to my mother. I had to pull the trigger on the deal right then, they are out of stock on it now but we got it with the higher resolution screen for under $200! I had paid for my original 1012 about $240 and hubby added a higher resolution screen to it after the original 1024 x 600 LCD cracked. Hubby replaced it for me and he added a GB of RAM (total of 2GB of RAM after this) for me and it does everything he needs a device to do so we're pleased as punch to have this on the way here. I probably won't be around as much anymore, but that's just how it goes. You all have been GREAT! I really am kind of surprised that we managed to get this deal that we did, they are liquidating their inventory on the outlet of Mini's because they are discontinuing them. It's a darn fine netbook once you have the 2 GB of RAM so while I am sorry we're not getting the MID1125, we're getting a great deal on a netbook we've had experience with and will be able to get the most out of it with the 250 GB HD and adding the RAM it will be just what hubby is looking for, although WITH having the keyboard it's not as portable as we'd have had if we had bought the Coby MID1125.

I really, REALLY appreciate you all taking the time you did to help me research and come to this decision today. I really hope that he is as happy with the netbook as I was with the first one that we gave to Mother. It's still running smoothly from what she says. I learned so much about the Android OS, I never would have known all the thing I've learned had it not been for this community. However, I think that this is the best purchase for the moment for my family, but a tablet might be in our future too, you never know so you MIGHT see me again next year. I know I probably won't be able to resist checking out the new ICS Coby's and to see how things progress with the ICS as they move along into 2012 with it on more and more devices. So this is probably NOT a goodbye, but a see you again soon post. I hope that you all have an awesome holiday season and that your New Year's start off awesomely.

Take care all! I will check back and reply to this message so you'll see me around a little longer, you're not rid of me yet. ;) :D