Hello Tablet noob looking for help deciding what unit is right for my needs

TannimKyraxx

Aug 8, 2011
Hello I’m looking to invest in a tablet I love my laptop but its battery life just can’t compete and I need something I can use while traveling for reading, surfing, movies, and listening to audiobooks with. I don’t really know much about my options out there so I’m hoping to draw on your knowledge by listing my wants and must have features hopefully you all can give me a decent set of options or even narrow it down to the perfect unit so I can invest with confidence;)

Battery life is important obviously but not as important as the unit need to be able to charge via the usb port it can have a separate power plug but it HAS to be able to charge if I plug it into a usb power supply.

7”-10” screen size not really that important but a smaller hand held that’s still fairly easy on the eyes is what I’m aiming for.

Decently durable I’ll have it in a protective hard shell case and try to take care so it doesn’t have to live up to tuff book specs but something that can go in my daypack/bike panniers without falling apart.

I don’t know if this is even an option on any tablets or not but I’d like to be able to connect an external hard drive via usb if I can’t that’s ok but I’d like the tablet to have at least 4gb(8+would be better)on board and it has to be expandable with SD cards I’d prefer to be able to use full size SD cards but it I have to invest in some more micro well ok
I don’t really care about which OS it runs as long as its stable can watch video(youtube, megavideo ect as well as downloaded movies ) surf the internet, organizing mp3, reading PDF, Doc, and Txt other ebook formats would be cool too but as long as it can read those I’ll be happy.

As far as speed I want something that’s fairly fast so a decent processor speed and memory are desirable.
I would love it if I could add on a keyboard at some point I’ve seen a few Bluetooth type that look cool whether it connects that way or some other I’d really like this feature but its not a deal breaker if I can’t have it
I hope that’s not too much to ask if I could get it in hand (retail, new, used whatever but with price including shipping)for less than 250? If the unit stood out enough I might be talked into going as high as $300 but I’m between jobs so I have limited resources.

Thanks Tannim K

Ps moderators if this post would fit better on another sub forum or it would get more of a response someplace else could you move it please?

Xpun3414

Aug 8, 2011
Hi Tan,
Dont know if this will help,but... Ive been looking into the Nook Color. It doesnt have a camera but it is a very nice tablet. You can "root" it & run a full android os on it & do more with it if you do root it. Its only $250,has a 7' screen & is very responsive. After you root it, you can over clock the cpu to run over 1 ghz if youd like to up the power. Out of the box it is a very cool little device. But as I said,if you root it, it will become a fully working tablet. And @ only $250, who can argue. If I find that after rooting it I can run a web cam,I'll be buying one. Maybe even if I cant run a web cam I may still buy one. Its that nice of a device. Hope this helps a bit. And good luck.

TannimKyraxx

Aug 8, 2011
yea I'm looking pretty hard at the nook but I'm starting to wonder if I'll be happier waiting a bit more and budgeting for a toshiba thrive it has full size SD card slot and can use usb flash external hard drives

I wanted to charge it via usb cause I have a decent battery powered usb charger and I was hoping I could extend the battery life for longer trips the thrive has a user replaceable battery so I could extend its range quite a bit(at a price $80 per battery)

has any one heard anything bad about the thrive?

thank you spider :)

TannimKyraxx

Aug 8, 2011
well it means i have to get serious about looking for a job a bit sooner than i planned but i decided to goahead and pull the trigger i picked up the thrive today and its a neat little toy i charged it up to 100℅ now ive been using it for 7.5 hours now and it stil has 20℅ charge left so im pretty happy with the battery life so far i bet if i turned off the wifi it would last a good bit longer