Help - Boot Loop trying to boot into recovery for first time!

litex2

Feb 4, 2011
the clockworkmod recovery server was down... Koush posted up on twitter about it... he moved the files to a backup server and I now have recovery up!!!

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Please oh please, tell me how you did it...

I finally have Froyo running from an SD but that's as far as I have gotten. Not sure what to do...

litex2

Feb 4, 2011
ok you are booting into froyo from sdcard yes?

all you have to do is email yourself the clockwork apk ( i used yahoo email), then use your browser to download the attachment and install it. after cwr was installed i just reflashed recovery and done!

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
ok you are booting into froyo from sdcard yes?

all you have to do is email yourself the clockwork apk ( i used yahoo email), then use your browser to download the attachment and install it. after cwr was installed i just reflashed recovery and done!

OK, i did something close, since i have two nooks, i used Titanium Backup to backup my CWR on the working nook and then installed the apk via ADB to the froyo install on the problem nook.

And I thought about flashing but figured it would flash the sdcards boot and not the devices, but will try it now.

Once flash is done I should be able to do boot into recovery now as normal?

***Update***

OK, I was able to power off and on and it booted into CW Recovery on its own.

Now I am so scared of screwing up, I forgot what to do now to get it back working. Since I don't have a NAND backup yet (it started looping before I could make one) do I need to factory reset and reroot, or can I just pickup where i left off? hmmm...

***Update***

I figured I made it this far, why not... I just selected Reboot from the CWR menu and watched as my rooted Nook booted just like it was supposed to. Everything seems to be in order, apps I installed are there and working, settings still there, all seems to be just as I expected it to be before crazy boot loop!

I will update OP with step-by-step and file attachments.

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
You can try creating a CWR boot SD Card

Instructions and CWR image can be found

Monster RootPack Manual

I ended up removing CWR and formatting the /data and /system with this (resetting to default)

Last edited:

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
You can try creating a CWR boot SD Card

Instructions and CWR image can be found

Monster RootPack Manual

I ended up removing CWR and formatting the /data and /system with this (resetting to default)

Luckily I didn't have to wipe anything. I just had to reflash Clockwork Recovery from FroYo and everything was ok. I Was just stuck between stock recovery console and the clockwork one. Very happy to find an easy fix, even if it did take me from 11pm to 445am to work out!

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Luckily I didn't have to wipe anything. I just had to reflash Clockwork Recovery from FroYo and everything was ok. I Was just stuck between stock recovery console and the clockwork one. Very happy to find an easy fix, even if it did take me from 11pm to 445am to work out!

Just to confirm:
You used froyo on SD card, installed Rom manager, reflashed cwr, rebooted NC, removed SD card, booted normal and all is well.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Android Tablets Forum App

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
OUCH! Well glad to hear you figured out an 'easy' fix...I don't know if a process over 5 1/2 hours long can be considered easy.

Please don't misunderstand me... I learned (from building and fixing computers years ago) that ANYTHING can be fixed in usually 5 minutes or so. It just might take hours or days to find exactly what needs to be done to complete the fix. :)

So the fix itself was simply creating the bootable Froyo sd (2 min) + Booting into Froyo and configuring USB (1 min) + Going into Froyo via ADB and loading up CWR (>1 min) + Launching ROM Manager and Flashing Recovery again (>1 min) + Reboot without sd = Fixed.

See? Now it took me about 5+ hours to come up with that formula, but the fix was quick. LOL.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Just to confirm:
You used froyo on SD card, installed Rom manager, reflashed cwr, rebooted NC, removed SD card, booted normal and all is well.

Correct, actually very easy. This simple solution confirms that my issue was ONLY with a messed up /boot that was stuck between stock recovery and CW recovery. Because it was solely a boot issue, all of my other settings and data were safe as long as i was able to reflash a stable boot recovery console. (I hope I am not confusing anyone with my lingo for these things.)

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Correct, actually very easy. This simple solution confirms that my issue was ONLY with a messed up /boot that was stuck between stock recovery and CW recovery. Because it was solely a boot issue, all of my other settings and data were safe as long as i was able to reflash a stable boot recovery console. (I hope I am not confusing anyone with my lingo for these things.)

Yes I knew what your problem was, but didn't know how to help you fix it. And I don't usually suggest options, I haven't ran myself, such as froyo on sd, and flashing cwr from it. Was asking for confirmation so others can get help from your post and experience or us here in the Nook section can help the next person who needs help on this issue.

Thanks for detailed explanation.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Yes I knew what your problem was, but didn't know how to help you fix it. And I don't usually suggest options, I haven't ran myself, such as froyo on sd, and flashing cwr from it. Was asking for confirmation so others can get help from your post and experience or us here in the Nook section can help the next person who needs help on this issue.

Thanks for detailed explanation.

No problem, however, finding and executing this fix has raised a serious question that I am sure is answered somewhere but I can't find it yet:

When I booted to FroYo on SD, I am running a virtual environment and not off the built in memory. However, when i installed ROM Manager to the virtual environment, I was able to Flash Recovery to the built in boot sector.

This tells me that there is a line between the virtual and real memory areas. So I want to know what types of changes can be made while running an OS on SD that won't affect the built in system. Am I making sense?

If I want to keep my built in system as is, and just play with FroYo (or any other OS on SD) where is the line?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
It does the same thing when using the bootable CWR...I was able to format /system and /data and install the stock 1.0.1 image, all from the SD card...I can't wait to here this answer! :D

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
It does the same thing when using the bootable CWR...I was able to format /system and /data and install the stock 1.0.1 image, all from the SD card...I can't wait to here this answer! :D

Except that bootable sd you made is purposed to do those types of changes... i am concerned about the folks that load te HC SD for instance to play, make some setting changes, then hose up their system without knowing it.

this post brought to you by AndroidTablets.net app

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
No problem, however, finding and executing this fix has raised a serious question that I am sure is answered somewhere but I can't find it yet:

When I booted to FroYo on SD, I am running a virtual environment and not off the built in memory. However, when i installed ROM Manager to the virtual environment, I was able to Flash Recovery to the built in boot sector.

This tells me that there is a line between the virtual and real memory areas. So I want to know what types of changes can be made while running an OS on SD that won't affect the built in system. Am I making sense?

If I want to keep my built in system as is, and just play with FroYo (or any other OS on SD) where is the line?

Well guys the best I understand it is this: The NC has a 8GB internal storage (memory chip) partitioned into (2) parts, 5GB usabled space and 3GB hidden parition, called emmc. This 3GB area holds the stock recovery utility, boot images, system images, and factory restore images. When you install CWR, you install it to this partition (emmc) so whether you are using the rom on the 5GB side, a rom mounted on a SD card, or even a rom mounted off usb, they will all flash CWR to the 3GB partition (emmc). This is why if you mess up something in the rom, but can still boot to either recovery, you can fix you problem, but if you mess up either recovery and like faceman, get caught in limbo, between cwr and stock recovery, you are in a world of hurt and must replace the recovery and emmc section. It's not really a fine line between what you call virtual (sd ran rom) and reality (internal mem) since it's just two different areas in which what ever rom source you have always looks and uses the same place for boot and or recovery. Take a peak in cwr when you guys get a chance. Look in the "mount" section, are you'll see you can mount a bunch of sources even from emmc.

Just my 2 cents and correct me if I'm totally off on something in my explanation.