Help! Stock Calendar missing

denniston

Dec 19, 2010
I purchased my Coby 7015 a last week. Once I got it home I found out that it was an open box. Let's just say I was not happy to say the least, but the 120 mile round trip made it not worth my while to do much about it.

The main reason I purchased this tablet is so that my wife could use it to keep track of her appointments for her business and so that we could share those on Google calendar. I'm not sure if the previous owner deleted the calendar app or what. But at this point returning it is not a possibility.

1. Is there some place where I can download (w/instructions) the stock firmware. I tried the update on the cobyusa website, but that didn't work. Does the stock firmware even come with the google apps calendar app?

2. Or is it possible for someone to make a package that I can install the stock calendar app with? I looked through the packages in this file (gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip)*, and I didn't see anything that looked like the calendar app. I actually even installed the calendar.apk from this thread (Default Android Calendar - xda-developers) but that only gives me the error: "sorry! The appliaction Calendar (process com.android.calendar) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

Can someone please help me I'm totally stuck. Thanks!

gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip is the file that I used to install google apps and marketplace according to the instructions at: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...arket-clockworkmod-recovery-12.html#post27250

Last edited:

willber

Jan 9, 2011
The stock unit does not come with a calendar program AFAIK. You can always go to AppsLib and download a calendar from there. To be honest, I'm rather disappointed with any free Calendar program I have downloaded. I have deleted them all.
Being A Palm phone user I have become accustomed to a functional calender.

willber

Jan 9, 2011
and... the reason the tablet doesn't update would probably be do to the unit already being at the latest firmware version.
Check under Settings/About Device (at the bottom)

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
Denniston do you have a microSD card installed in your Kyros? Also, make sure you have a file manager installed on the device so that you can navigate the file structure and alternate directories.

After you confirm you've done the above I will locate you a few Calendar applications and send you the links. You don't need a microSD card as you can install apps off the internal storage (NAND) but an SD card makes things easier.

denniston

Dec 19, 2010
Thanks for you feedback. So as far as you know, there is no way to get / no one has the actual Google Calendar app on their Coby 7015. Any explanation why the gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip doesn't contain Google calendar? And yes I do have a micro sd card installed, and am adept at installing and removing programs. I would welcome any suggestions you have. Most of what I've seen on the marketplace are basically front ends for the official calendar, or don't sync with Google calendar, or are pretty crappy.

I have to admit I'm pretty novice when it comes to this OS, but it seems to me that if Google Calendar is in 2.1, we should be able to have a way to install it on our tablets.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Have you tried pushing the calendar apk onto the device as a system app? Most of the google apps need to be posted to /system/app and the permissions set to 0644 (rw-r--r--)

willber

Jan 9, 2011
OK here's a possible guess at getting the updated tablet back to square one. Root the table so that you have ClockWorkMod installed. Load the update image onto the tablet.
Boot to the CWM application and install from zip the update image from Coby.
Wild guess use at own risk.

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
Alright Denniston here you go! I got the actual Google Calendar app, is that ok?

Download the Calendar.zip file from here, (I uploaded the file so no worries about source). Once downloaded unzip the file to a place you can easily locate on your computer. Connect your Kyros to your computer and mount your internal storage (NAND). After mounting, transfer both the "Calendar.apk" and "CalendarProvider.apk" file to the root of your internal storage.

You will need a Terminal Emulator for this next part so if you don't have one already, get to it! After you have a terminal emulator and the Calendar files are stored on the root of your internal storage, unmount the storage and unplug the Kyros from your computer.

Start up the terminal emulator and repeat these commands exactly (Keyboard is brought up by hitting the menu key and selecting the "soft keyboard" option)!

"su"

The device will prompt you to accept super user access for the terminal emulator, obviously allow it.

"cd /nand"

(This will change the main working directory to your internal storage directory)

"cp Calendar.apk /system/app"

(This will move the Calendar file to your app folder)

"cp CalendarProvider.apk /system/app"

(This will move the Calendar cache files into the app directory, which is required for use of the app)

Wallah! After both files are copied you can shut down the terminal emulator and you should see the "Calendar" app in your applications menu. Let me know if you have any problems.

denniston

Dec 19, 2010
"It's a Christmas Miracle!!!" Thanks so much BKenney. I think this is exactly what I was wanting.

denniston

Dec 19, 2010
Ok so I was playing around with it to see if it would sync to the web, and when I clicked on Menu>More>My calendars, I get the error "Sorry! The process com.android.calendar has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." Any ideas?

denniston

Dec 19, 2010
I'm sure this is the same issue, but when I try to create an event in the new calendar, it says that I have No Calendars.

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
Hm, you're very right Denniston. I apologize I didn't try out the entire app. I looked around the web and I'm currently trying something, I'll get back to you with the results soon.

I'm almost 100% positive it has to do with the Calendar cache file which is why it's saying you have no calendars. The solution on forums was to clear the cache through the manage applications menu however because we installed the app rather forcefully it doesn't show up in the apps menu.

denniston

Dec 19, 2010
I was able to find it in the settings>manage applications by doing the filter>all, but even after clearing the cache I still have the same problem :(

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
I'm looking for an alternate version. If I have no luck I'll locate you a similar calendar app that works with Google's service. No worries :)

I know you can use the browser version of the Google Calendar app and you can even add a shortcut to your home screen.

Navigate to "google.com/calendar/gp" in your browser. Obviously make sure you're signed into your Google account.

Last edited: