Help to choose 9 - 10 inch tablet

Thunder

Oct 25, 2010
I'm new to android tablets, so shall be grateful to anyone who will answer my questions regarding 9-10 inch devices. I'm inclined to buy Archos 101 or Herotab M10. Maybe there are other, but I do not know of them.
1. Zoom with 2 fingers -- do these tablets (and other with capacitive screen) support this feature? I watched YouTube videos, but haven't seen if it's possible to zoom in-out moving 2 fingers -- Like on iPad?
Shall I be able to (a) write notes [open office or ms word formats would be an advantage], (b) read documents, [including .pdf and .djvu formats]?
3. Software availability for 9-10 inch devices, how it depends on screen resolution, aspect ratio, etc.? Which tablets support flash?
4. From the point of view of all mentioned above what would you recommend? Is there any significant difference between new Cortex A8 device [Archos 101, Herotab M10] and older ones [Zenithink ZT180, Eken m008, ePad, aPad M16, Haipad M101] which are 100$ cheaper?
5. As I predict you'll say that newer devices are much better, which 1 would you recommend: Archos 101 or Herotab M10, or maybe there is something better I don't know of?
I'll really appreciate if somebody answers my question or give any advice.

Brookstone

Jul 9, 2010
Nearly two weeks ago, I tried to get myself a 10" Android 2.2 tablet with Cortex A8 processor (the requirements are same to yours), while I was told that was just for pre-ordering shipped after two weeks later, then I turned to another 10" Android 2.1 aPad. Now it is in my hands and works well. You can get the aPad's details via the link below

10.2" Android 2.1 aPad - 1GHz Telechips 8900 Processor - 256MB DDR2

My opinion is, there is no HUGE differences between those China iPad clones so DON'T be curious about them. It is very hard to distinguish the slight difference between them even after you buy all of them and experience by yourself.

FoxForceFive

Sep 9, 2010

Thunder

Oct 25, 2010
Thanks xaueious and Bookstone.
...I can bet that the Tegra 2 10" is very buggy right now. You'll be sad if you get it. Keep waiting.
@xaueious. I thought that Archos 101 and Herotab M10 are Cortex A8 devices (Tegra 2 is Cortex A9). What do you mean by 'buggy': the hardware or software? Can you mention some concrete feature that is wrong compared to older 9+ inch devices? If it's software, than will it disappear after firmware update to less buggy one in future?
@Brookstone. Maybe you are right. I got lost between all those apads, epads etc. Few questions to you as the owner of the gadget. Q1. The ePad you pointed to me has an interesting option "1.3MP Internal Webcam (Optional)". How do I enable this option? Haven't seen this option for ePads on other web-sites. Q2. What can you say about video -- formats it supports and playback speed -- not too frustrating? Q3. What about pinch zoom? If none, than I don't understand why: specification says that it's got "Capacitive Multi-Touch Screen". Q4. Did you try to read .pdf and .djvu files? Q5. Can you say something about possibility to install dictionaries?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Thunder

Oct 25, 2010
@Brookstone & @xaueious. One more questions if you don't mind, answer will be interesting for many people.
Q6. The seller which you recommended me -- 10.2" Android 2.1 aPad - 1GHz Telechips 8900 Processor - 256MB DDR2 -- is it preferable for some reason? I've found many places selling the same aPad, but their specifications differ a lot: weight varies from 500 to 900 grams, width can be 13, 15 or 25 mm, processor Telechips or ZT-180, your's one has possibility of internal web camera, prices from 150$ to 280$. How can you comment this discrepancies and why did you prefer the one you've mentioned?
Thank you in advance for answer.

Last edited:

Chucant

Oct 11, 2010
Hi Brookstone - I am interested in knowing how your system works. I need a 10" for web surfing mostly. So does your tab play flash...or maybe you do not use the internet that much.
Are you able to view videos from the internet?

Thanks

anduser

Nov 1, 2010
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...itnessed-doing-pinch-zoom-video.html#post3119
Haipad has been the first mass produced one doing multitouch zoom. It's getting a lot of volume too. Resistive 2 finger multitouch.

I can bet that the Tegra 2 10" is very buggy right now. You'll be sad if you get it. Keep waiting.

Considering that most phones nowadays are capacitive, and capacitive screens have always been multi touch capable (resistive are not - the newer ones yes), and android 2.1 and above has multi touch enabled (the os itself - this requires no development effort on the part of the integrator), do you have an actual basis for suggesting the tegra is buggy or are you just guessing?

If you have an actual basis can you quote sources directly please?

dariukstis

Nov 3, 2010
I have purchased 10" Flytouch 2 tablet from ebay for 220$. Bit disappointed with resistive screen as it does not feel to sensitive, never had tablet before so not sure how it supposed to be. 3d UI looks bit laggy. Other then that it has GPS, wifi b g n integrated (at least it writes so in description not sure how to check it). Also has android market built in.

Thunder

Oct 25, 2010
@anduser. Problem is that after writing a post people disappear, and don't come back to answer questions directed to them. Writing private messages also seem not to work on this forum. (yelling) xaueious, Brookstone where are you???!!!

Last edited:

Thunder

Oct 25, 2010
I have purchased 10" Flytouch 2 tablet from ebay for 220$. Bit disappointed with resistive screen as it does not feel to sensitive, never had tablet before so not sure how it supposed to be. 3d UI looks bit laggy. Other then that it has GPS, wifi b g n integrated (at least it writes so in description not sure how to check it). Also has android market built in.
Can you please answer some of the questions which I've asked to Bookstone in post no 5 of this forum branch? Certainly some of them are not relevant, as I think your device doesn't have web cam and capacitive screen. What about processor, is it ZT180?
Thanks.

Dec 3, 2010
The Herotab M10 is my recommendation. To answer each of your questions.
1. You can zoom with two fingers because it has a Multi-Touch Screen
2. You can read and even edit documents such as Excel, Word, PDF with the Docs2Go App
3. The Herotab M10 Supports Flash and software availability is not dependent on screen resolution or aspect ratio
4. There is a HUGE difference between the Cortex A8 and the Zenithink. I sell and personally own both, The new Cortex A8 devices run faster,web pages download faster, apps load quicker and run smoother and most importantly you can play flash videos online with the new Cortex A8. Plus the Capacitive touch screen is much more responsive giving a significantly better quality experience. Its priced higher than the Zenithink for a valid number of reasons.

If you want a detailed review of the specs check it out at my site

Herotab M10 - Unbranded Gadgets

tony333

Nov 27, 2010
Hey i was intrested in M10, since merimobiles dont have those in stock, did anyone ordered from the above site (unbrandedgadgets.com)mentioned in the post.???is it trustworthy to order?

tab_newbie

Dec 15, 2010
@tony333: I also found the unbrandedgadgets.com shop, they also have an ebay shop. on their site, i didn't find any contact information, no street address, no nothing. i just startet an order, it failed when coming to the paypal-process with a message like "user currently not allowed to receice payments". if you click on the life-chat icon on the web page, you will again get a similar message "...account is disabled..."
so either this shop was just started or this whole thing is a big fake! i haven't found any feedback on the net on this shop, so i'm very careful now!

i contacted shop via ebay, response was very fast and seems reasonable...

Can anyone help us and give some qualified feedback on ordering from this shop??

Thanks!!