Here's how to fix 'flash_image' not found on new MID7015A tablets.

TGamel

Apr 1, 2011
First of all...thanks to all the guys and gals who have taken the time to make the rooting instructions and guides.....

Ok, if you have a newer Coby Kyros MID7015A tablet, you may be missing the 'flash_image' file. I am not sure if the unit shipped this way, or if the file was deleted or overwritten after installing the 'update.zip' file from Coby. But the only action I took with the tablet before attempting to root was update the firmware from Coby per 'phas3d's' video I saw on youtube.

Then I attempted the 'Step-by-Step' process to root the tablet. Like many people I recieved a "file not found" error when using the terminal emulator command line that copies the 'flash_image' file. After examining the tablet directories and the 'update.zip' file I could not find a 'flash_image' file in any of the directories.

Per one of the system admin's advice to another user, I searched for and downloaded a 'watery kyros' file specifically 'watery-kyros-v1.2b' saved it to a folder on my computer, extracted a 'flash_image' file from the system/bin directory, copied it to my sdcard and completed the root process without any further issues.

The only problem I have found so far is that skyfire seems to have color and resolution problems when attempting to display flash videos. Not sure what the cause is but everything else works....Hope this helps...:cool:

Todd

AustinFa04

Apr 3, 2011
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one; however I did this and still am having the same problem. Shouldn’t the flash_image file be put in the system/bin directory on the tablet? However I know that the access to that denied.

I have been racking my brain over this for three days now. HELP!!

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one; however I did this and still am having the same problem. Shouldn’t the flash_image file be put in the system/bin directory on the tablet? However I know that the access to that denied.

Yes, if you follow the steps in the second sticky this is the one where you copy it to /system/bin then assign the proper permissions. You also must be rooted first and your terminal emulator allowed super user permission.

15. Type the following code (note: the #'s do not need to be entered by you. It will be given on each line).

# cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image
# chown root.shell /system/bin/flash_image
# chmod 0755 /system/bin/flash_image

This code is moving the flash_image from your sdcard to the system/bin on the Kyros.

TGamel

Apr 1, 2011

As I didn't have a 'flash_image' file on my Kyros, I had to find one as mentioned earlier. I then extracted the 'flash_image' file to a folder on my computer, then copied it to the main root directory of the sdcard. Once that was done, went back to step #15 and opened the terminal emulator and typed:

1. SU (then hit enter)

This code is moving the flash_image from your sdcard to the system/bin on the Kyros.
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
# reboot recovery

Then followed the rest of the instructions to complete the process....Hope This helps...

Todd

boddah4

Mar 15, 2011

I may be wrong here, but I believe that I finally got mine to work by putting the flash_image in the main level of the sd card. Try it and see if this works.

AustinFa04

Apr 3, 2011
I may be wrong here, but I believe that I finally got mine to work by putting the flash_image in the main level of the sd card. Try it and see if this works.

You saved my sanity... IT WORKED! Thanks you so much for your speedy reply.

nopro

Apr 9, 2011
I have been trying for awhile to accomplish getting my Kyros mid7015a rooted and install google apps, and like many I have ran into problems. I took the flash_image from the watery-kyros file and copyed it to the system/bin per your post. Still no luck, but since doing that Angry Birds is really messed up and the unit seems slow. I want to reboot the unit back to factory settings and start over, but when I try to reboot and get the recovery console it won't, it just powers up and freezes with message at the bottom of the screen in blue letters that says- "The Device Enter Fastboot Mode Please Connect USB To PC or Reset The Device Waitting ". When I connect to PC nothing happens so I use reset button and I get access to my home screen. I hope someone can help me here. Thanks

nopro

Apr 9, 2011
As I didn't have a 'flash_image' file on my Kyros, I had to find one as mentioned earlier. I then extracted the 'flash_image' file to a folder on my computer, then copied it to the main root directory of the sdcard. Once that was done, went back to step #15 and opened the terminal emulator and typed:

1. SU (then hit enter)

# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
# reboot recovery

Then followed the rest of the instructions to complete the process....Hope This helps...

Todd

I have been trying for awhile to accomplish getting my Kyros mid7015a rooted and install google apps, and like many I have ran into problems. I took the flash_image from the watery-kyros file and copyed it to the system/bin per your post. Still no luck, but since doing that Angry Birds is really messed up and the unit seems slow. I want to reboot the unit back to factory settings and start over, but when I try to reboot and get the recovery console it won't, it just powers up and freezes with message at the bottom of the screen in blue letters that says- "The Device Enter Fastboot Mode Please Connect USB To PC or Reset The Device Waitting ". When I connect to PC nothing happens so I use reset button and I get access to my home screen. I hope someone can help me here. Thanks

larrytxeast

Apr 7, 2011
I am glad to see this thread, as I ran into this brickwall myself just a few days ago. It, seriously, took me about 10 hours (yes, 10 hours) before I finally broke through.

They always tell you the likely error is not putting the files in the ROOT of the SD card, but I most certainly was putting all of the files in the root--and STILL getting this error. I think the problem, often-times, is syntax of the Terminal Emulator commands, and that seemed to be the problem I had as well. There are spaces & so forth which you need to enter & this often-times isn't explained well.

So, if you are to enter reboot recovery it should be documented as reboot[space]recovery (or, say reboot♪recovery, where ♪=1 hard space; note ♪ is typed via ALT-13) because otherwise you don't know if the space is incidental or actually part of the syntax you're supposed to use. To say "it should be clear"--nope, that's not specific enough. Many of the commands involved were fuzzy in that regard and I wasted tons of time on such petty stuff which could've been documented better.

Another example--one command I saw (I believe it was for verifying that the contents are on the SD card) was along the lines of Is. I couldn't tell if that was a capital I ("eye"), the number 1, or a capital L ("el"). I really couldn't tell. That's exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about. Document it as Is (as in "eye", capitalized).

It it helps, here is my thread (http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-i-badly-need-help-flash_image-not-found.html) on my dealings with this issue & how it was solved. popeye1128 was most helpful & I really appreciate it. He was especially good at being extremely clear on the syntax as I explained, especially with spaces etc. I nailed it on the first try with his instructions, whereas the others I had spent 10 hours on in vain. Please, be extremely clear on the syntax.

LRH

Last edited:

eruby

May 17, 2011
Thanks all for this thread. I have been trying and trying to get the flash_image to work with no luck.

jdc

Jun 16, 2011
I've got a new Kyros I just got shipped in. It doesn't have a flash_image anywhere or any .img file anywhere in the /system/bin directory! Why has Coby stymied us now that we have figured out how to make this a decent tablet? Because they have bigger and more expensive tablets they want us to buy?!!!
I'm trying to figure out what file it is that Android uses to direct the system to open files (like config.bat) and execute them on boot and see what the new file is called and where it is located. I'm sure there is a new "flash_image" file somewhere, its just renamed.
This new boot file won't let you get clockwork mod to work either. Its frustrating. Any ideas?

TGamel

Apr 1, 2011
I've got a new Kyros I just got shipped in. It doesn't have a flash_image anywhere or any .img file anywhere in the /system/bin directory! Why has Coby stymied us now that we have figured out how to make this a decent tablet? Because they have bigger and more expensive tablets they want us to buy?!!!
I'm trying to figure out what file it is that Android uses to direct the system to open files (like config.bat) and execute them on boot and see what the new file is called and where it is located. I'm sure there is a new "flash_image" file somewhere, its just renamed.
This new boot file won't let you get clockwork mod to work either. Its frustrating. Any ideas?

As I mentioned in the opening message, I had the same problems that you mention. I am still new to the android tablet, but since making this initial fix, everything is still working well...Just in case you didn't see the instructions I have reposted them below again....Hope this helps...

Todd

Ok, if you have a newer Coby Kyros MID7015A tablet, you may be missing the 'flash_image' file. I am not sure if the unit shipped this way, or if the file was deleted or overwritten after installing the 'update.zip' file from Coby. But the only action I took with the tablet before attempting to root was update the firmware from Coby per 'phas3d's' video I saw on youtube.

Then I attempted the 'Step-by-Step' process to root the tablet. Like many people I recieved a "file not found" error when using the terminal emulator command line that copies the 'flash_image' file. After examining the tablet directories and the 'update.zip' file I could not find a 'flash_image' file in any of the directories.

Per one of the system admin's advice to another user, I searched for and downloaded a 'watery kyros' file specifically 'watery-kyros-v1.2b' saved it to a folder on my computer, extracted a 'flash_image' file from the system/bin directory, copied it to my sdcard and completed the root process without any further issues.

Let me know if this worked for you, haven't been on the system in a while, but like I said works for me almost flawlessly....

Timand1

Sep 30, 2012
Yes, if you follow the steps in the second sticky this is the one where you copy it to /system/bin then assign the proper permissions. You also must be rooted first and your terminal emulator allowed super user permission.

15. Type the following code (note: the #'s do not need to be entered by you. It will be given on each line).

This worked for my tablet. Thanks for the info