Hi all a question about the MID 7022

Eddie1551

May 26, 2012
Hello everybody,

I currently have a WM8650 tablet PC running the custom ROM Uberoid Android 2.2 with ICS themed. It works fine for a cheap tablet, can play Angry Birds, read books, listen to music, view pictures and videos and browse the web. I also get full access to the Google Play store but I want to upgrade for two different reasons.

#1 - My tablet currently has a few spots on my screen that I can't see, all I can see is a bunch of dead/stuck pixels and it looks like it might be cracked deep down inside as I have taken it apart and the screen looks fine on top. The reason it is like this is because my sister sat on it in the car, smashed my SD card to pieces and made my screen like this. I am surprised though that is still works and looks okay yet except for the spots I can't see.
#2 - Because I would like to be able to play more games and have a smoother experience. I heard I can upgrade this device to ICS which would be great. I have seen the tablet playing games and other things and it looks quite nice for the price I have found it at.

I'm going to buy it here from here Coby Kyros MID7022 4GB Tablet (Black) Good Condition 716829772249 | eBay it is used but it's a very good price point. I currently only have about $70 to spend as this is some of my left over birthday money (Turned 16 a few days ago.) Do you think this would be a good upgrade compared to what I have now? Any of you ever buy from this seller? Thanks for any and all help!

Regards,
Eddie.

Eddie1551

May 26, 2012
That is a good price for that tablet, yes it should be an upgrade from the tablet you have, and also you can upgrade the coby 7022 to ICS.

Thanks for the reply, can't wait to get it. The first thing I'm going to do is make a backup of the ROM and flash it to ICS. Should have it within two weeks.

Regards,
Eddie.

jgrimm

May 29, 2012
Hi Eddie,

I actually bought one from the same seller a week or so ago to use at work in our PCEE project (patient comfort/entertainment/education project). I'm in charge of networking and technology at work (IT). I loved it so much that I ordered another one two days after the first one came! Shipping was fast, and the tablet was exactly as described as far as condition goes.

These are interesting little machines. They take a little getting used to, but once your accustomed, they are really enjoyable.
Build quality is surprisingly good. No crappy plastic on these tablets. They feel more solid than Apple products.

The only complaints I have against them is the fact that they didn't come with market as a standard app, but that was easily fixed.
And the keyboard takes a little getting used to. But overall, that's about it.

I installed market without rooting per instructions on this forum and it works like a charm. Also have a nice version of pandora installed that I found online somewhere.
Just holler if you need help with market/etc. I didn't use daprospecta's method. Found an easier way.

Anyhow, I'm sure you'll enjoy your Kyros. They're a real steal at under 100$.

-Grimm

Eddie1551

May 26, 2012
Hi Eddie,

I actually bought one from the same seller a week or so ago to use at work in our PCEE project (patient comfort/entertainment/education project). I'm in charge of networking and technology at work (IT). I loved it so much that I ordered another one two days after the first one came! Shipping was fast, and the tablet was exactly as described as far as condition goes.

These are interesting little machines. They take a little getting used to, but once your accustomed, they are really enjoyable.
Build quality is surprisingly good. No crappy plastic on these tablets. They feel more solid than Apple products.

The only complaints I have against them is the fact that they didn't come with market as a standard app, but that was easily fixed.
And the keyboard takes a little getting used to. But overall, that's about it.

I installed market without rooting per instructions on this forum and it works like a charm. Also have a nice version of pandora installed that I found online somewhere.
Just holler if you need help with market/etc. I didn't use daprospecta's method. Found an easier way.

Anyhow, I'm sure you'll enjoy your Kyros. They're a real steal at under 100$.

-Grimm

Hi Grimm,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my thread, it's appreciated. I haven't ordered yet but will be within a day or two, I can't wait to get it! It's nice to hear someone bought it from the same seller I'm going to, now I don't have to worry. :)

Thank you, if I have any trouble installing the market I shall ask for your help, thank you again. I hope your PCEE project is going well, if I can help you at all let me know.

Also, one last thing: Do you think you will be upgrading the Coby to ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) at all?

Regards,
Eddie.

jgrimm

May 29, 2012
Hi Grimm,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my thread, it's appreciated. I haven't ordered yet but will be within a day or two, I can't wait to get it! It's nice to hear someone bought it from the same seller I'm going to, now I don't have to worry. :)

Thank you, if I have any trouble installing the market I shall ask for your help, thank you again. I hope your PCEE project is going well, if I can help you at all let me know.

Also, one last thing: Do you think you will be upgrading the Coby to ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) at all?

Regards,
Eddie.

You know, I have considered it, but I am trying my best to get everything running and working without rooting. So far, I have been successful with market, pandora, and a few gapps. I am currently working on getting maps and nav to work through means of tetherGPS. And getting voice search to work. Ill keep people updated as I go. But anyhow, I am one of those people who like messing with technology as a pastime, so who knows! Haha. I may eventually just give it a shot for the heck of it. I am curious to see why everyone installs it to be honest. Ill post my experience with it up here for y'all to read if I do.

$Screen Shot 2012-06-01 at 10.30.34 AM.png

NOTE: When you buy from them, make sure to read the "device description" note. This is really important, as it will describe any blemishes it has. It is highlighted in the picture above. Some of their listings have it, and some dont.

I bought one in Used "Mint Condition" (with "no apparent blemishes") for 75$ and one in "Good Condition" (with "light scratches on display screen"). Both are in wonderful shape, and one that was supposed to have light scratches on the screen only had a few very light scratches that are almost unnoticeable; the majority of the "damage" was crud that wiped right off with a few drops of windex and the microfiber cleaning cloth the tabs come with.

In my opinion, you can get a tab from them for as low as 59$, but I would suggest you go with one above 70$ (Mine were around 72$). They have the least amount of wear and if you read the detailed damage description on the ad, any above the 70$ mark usually just has "light scratches on screen" (which was exactly that in my case, and not near as bad as I thought they would be). If you ask me, Id say that 10$ extra is totally worth it as far as receiving a blemish free tab, as opposed to one that has probably been thudding around in someones handbag for who knows how long.

Also, they offer a 1yr and sometimes a 2yr warranty for dirt cheap (like 10-20$). This is a decent price for an added warranty. I went with the 2yr.

(PS: They have one in mint condition for like 72$ at the moment. They go quick, so if your interested, Id give it a look)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coby-Kyros-...US_Tablets&hash=item43b0580a88#ht_1350wt_1219

-Grimm

Last edited: