Hi From Dublin, Ireland

Leauki

Jun 30, 2010
Hi,

I am a Mac user and .NET build engineer. I am interested in crossplatform development.

Being a Mac user the iPad seemed like a good product for me but I resent that Apple won't let me run whatever software I want on it. Also, since I have an iPhone, I figured I should get an Android tablet in order to add another platform to my collection.

Can anyone recommend a Tablet?

Features wanted are:
1. Base station for charging (if possible)
2. Slot for SIM (ideally)
3. Can run all Android applications (I want to develop with MonoDroid)
4. Can run Skype (and has a microphone)
5. Can run VNC and RDP (Microsoft Remote Desktop) client
6. Can run VNS server (so I can use it remotely)

Basically I want to be able to retire from my computer desk to my sofa while watching DVDs and still be able to use my computer.

Any ideas?

Leauki

Jun 30, 2010
Oh, and also availability of ebooks would be nice. Is there a Kindle application for Android?

misterneno

Jun 30, 2010
Dell Streak probably ?

I saw many of them and it seems the most interessting one. My point is you could buy a cheap chinease tablet but you won't receive update and it would probably be like a giant android phone without updates ...

The 5 inches screen is probably a bit small comparing to the iPad ...

Edit : And Kindle for Android is available ;-)

joshua.lyon

Jun 11, 2010
Dell Streak probably ?

I saw many of them and it seems the most interessting one. My point is you could buy a cheap chinease tablet but you won't receive update and it would probably be like a giant android phone without updates ...

The 5 inches screen is probably a bit small comparing to the iPad ...

Edit : And Kindle for Android is available ;-)

Based on a recent Engadget article, it looks like you can root the streak too. It looks like the US is getting better packaging, but at least it's already out for the UK.

I'm not sure that you would be happy with a 5" screen if you were looking at the iPad. I have a 7" aPad (Moonse E-7001) and while the screen is decent, I'd still prefer a 10"+ display.

If you are really looking at using it for development, I'd look at the ODROID-T. It has a large screen and has a lot of hardware for development that other android tablets don't have: GPS, HDMI, Bluetooth, Capacitive screen; And it has a nice 1 GHz processor so it should be able to run some of the more complex apps that the simple android tablets can't.

The ODROID's are android tablets that are specifically designed for development.
timg60.jpg

Leauki

Jun 30, 2010
If you are really looking at using it for development, I'd look at the ODROID-T. It has a large screen and has a lot of hardware for development that other android tablets don't have: GPS, HDMI, Bluetooth, Capacitive screen; And it has a nice 1 GHz processor so it should be able to run some of the more complex apps that the simple android tablets can't.

Thank you! That seems exactly right!