How can I Root after 1.1.0 update?

tomtin

Jan 30, 2011
Just got the Nook color and it was updated to the new version. I want to root it but don't know where to go from here.

Also, how can I view comics on the nook? I used calibre to convert the cbr to pdf. I think I did it correctly. For some reason, my nook doesn't connect to my computer. Giving me driver issues. I suspect a faulty cable. Therefore, I put the pdf's on a microsd card but it gives me an error when I try to open it. What am I doing wrong?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
You need to reset your nook to 1.0 and manually add the 1.0.1 update...auto root from there, then you can add the 1.1 updated ROM afterward. Instructions on how to reset can be found HERE!

Then look in this thread HERE to get your auto-rooting done, along with installing ClockworkMod, custom kernels, and loading the 1.1 updated ROM

As for the comics, I can't help you there, as I have never tried converting them.

When you connect your nook to your PC, put it into sleep mode first, then plug it in...then unlock the nook, and see if that works. It worked for me once.

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
OK, from the other thread, I'm in the same situation, but am not sure how the 1.00 to 1.01 manual update is made, prior to the auto rooting.

For that matter, my restore has only half worked, so I've got a bit of work to do before I even qualify for the above.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I just posted the link to the manual 1.0.1 update in that other thread.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
You need to reset your nook to 1.0 and manually add the 1.0.1 update...auto root from there, then you can add the 1.1 updated ROM afterward. Instructions on how to reset can be found HERE!

Then look in this thread HERE to get your auto-rooting done, along with installing ClockworkMod, custom kernels, and loading the 1.1 updated ROM

As for the comics, I can't help you there, as I have never tried converting them.

When you connect your nook to your PC, put it into sleep mode first, then plug it in...then unlock the nook, and see if that works. It worked for me once.

+1
Best thing to do is get you back to software 1.0.0 and then "sky's the limit".

banjoben

Jan 31, 2011

I was under the impression that the reset procedure you linked to only goes back to a clean version of whatever software version you last installed (e.g. if you currently have v1.1.0 and follow the reset procedure described, you'd still have v1.1.0 afterward). Does it actually take you back to v1.0.0?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I was under the impression that the reset procedure you linked to only goes back to a clean version of whatever software version you last installed (e.g. if you currently have v1.1.0 and follow the reset procedure described, you'd still have v1.1.0 afterward). Does it actually take you back to v1.0.0?

Yes it will reset your nook and take you back to 1.0.0, but there is only an autonooter up to 1.0.1. What needs to be done is...

-Reset/Roll Back your device to 1.0 - Factory Reset, back to store/stock condition
-Register Device
-Sideload the 1.0.1 update before you re-root (NOT the 1.1.0 update)
-Re-root using auto nooter for 1.0.1
-Install clockwork recovery and make a backup
-Load the pre-rooted 1.1.0 rom (use newest version of this rom, v2 I believe) using clockwork recovery

There is no auto nooter for 1.1 yet. But the Rom already has the update in it. In the future most updates and custom operating systems for the nook will probably have to be loaded through clockwork recovery, as it is a more standard process in the android world.

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Anyone up for giving us newbs a primer on CWR? Would be helpful to know what it's doing instead of blindly following cookbook style. TIA!

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Anyone up for giving us newbs a primer on CWR? Would be helpful to know what it's doing instead of blindly following cookbook style. TIA!

Clockworkmod Recovery can be used to replace your device's recovery with something more useful. Specifically it can be used to make backups of and restore your current ROM and data, as well as install new ROMs. (kinda like how us old PC guys would use a DOS window to make changes to Windows) With ROM Manager you can easily boot into Clockwork and install ROMs, make backups of your current ROM and data, etc.

I know its not nuts and bolts, but that is the best I can do :D

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010

From what I've read 1.0.1 NC owners go back to 1.0.0 when doing a factory reset. The hidden partition holds the recovery and backup stock image. Assuming all units are the same, your preloaded 1.1 would most likely come with the 1.0.0 recovery and image. Of course things can change and you may in fact have 1.1 as a recovery. It would hurt anything to try and if it takes you back to 1.0.0 you can go from there and if back to 1.1, you will just have to wait a few days until the auto-nooter guys release a new version.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Roger just went back from 1.1 to 1.0.0 last night because he unboxed at B&N and BAM! it hit him with the updates before he could blink...so 1.1 doesn't appear to become the default when you flash back.

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Yes, it DEFINITELY goes back to 1.0.0. The way this is done (in my past experience embedded devices, and where my last position was in manufacturing/production engineering, is that there is a full image flashed into the NVRAM at the factory, at an address block not normally seen/used by the customer in normal operation, including whatever bootloader code is desired. A copy of this same image is generally also in normal/user NVRAM, and this is what you boot to everytime you turn on, and and where any OTA and most sideloaded updates would go. But, if those got corrupted, you'd be in trouble. Thus most devices having a method, via some key sequence, to go back to that normally unused code (which will NOT normally have been updated, at all) and have it rewrite into the normally used area. Thus, your reset doesn't include the updates, but at least you (normally) have a way to self rescue.

There are a ton of variations on this, and if you use a routine that does modify the bootloader the the 'normally not user accessible' code, then that's when you can brick them. On some architectures, that 'normally inaccessible' root image is in ROM, and you couldn't hurt if you wanted to - it simply can't be written to. Others are a mix. I'm still learning the android stuff, but there's not a lot you can't get to, and thus you CAN get yourself in trouble. I certainly and obviously don't know our Nooks in particular. I'm as, or more, lost than anybody. I'm just drawing on general background.

Caveat to ours. For all I know, there may be production NCs that have both areas (if they in fact use 2, which they seem to) with 1.0.1, in which case THOSE systems would be at 1.0.1 after a full reset/erase. But if your system started out 1.0.0 and only got updated to 1.0.1 on your watch via normal OTA or simple sideload, then any full reset/erases will definitely revert to 1.0.0.

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
Just bought a NC and added 1.1 before I realized that'd delay rooting it. I've tried the reset instructions to go back to 1.0, but it always keeps booting when I try to interrupt it. 'tapping' the power button (per instructions) does nothing, i have to hold it down to see the welcome text, and then repressing the power button seems not to stop the boot process.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Just bought a NC and added 1.1 before I realized that'd delay rooting it. I've tried the reset instructions to go back to 1.0, but it always keeps booting when I try to interrupt it. 'tapping' the power button (per instructions) does nothing, i have to hold it down to see the welcome text, and then repressing the power button seems not to stop the boot process.

Hold the power button down as soon as you see "future" thing. When the boot is interrupted and device doesn't boot up, it will go black. You may see some boot animation, but let go when screen goes black. Tap power button to turn back on again. Hold once you see "future" thing again. Repeat until the you see reflash "installing" animation. *sorry edited my post

Last edited: