How do you like your TF101?

yuppicide

Dec 6, 2011
I'm thinking of getting one. I don't really need to hold out for the new Prime quad-core model. This one looks nice and the price isn't bad.

What's max expansion memory you can put in?

I see it supports Wireless N. I bought a Coby Kyros 7" tablet that only supports B/G and it won't work with my Netgear router. Good thing this tablet is for a gift. Does anyone else here use their TF101 with a Netgear Wireless N? I'd hate to replace it since it works fine. I have a 1TB media player hooked up to my tv.

I asked this in another forum.. but are any of these tablets upgradable RAM like how I'd upgrade a notebook or desktop computer?

yuppicide

Dec 6, 2011
I am assuming the TF101 comes with Android 3.0, but through updates I can get to 3.2?

Looking around I see a TF201.. what's the difference between the two?

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I am assuming the TF101 comes with Android 3.0, but through updates I can get to 3.2?

Looking around I see a TF201.. what's the difference between the two?

The TF 201 is the new quad-core model, pretty sweet. My TF101 had 3.1 but immediately updated to 3.2.1. I absolutely LOVE this machine, seriously it is by far the best Android tablet available today.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I absolutely love my TF101.

The RAM is not expandable. With the Tegra 2 (and I think Tegra 3) the max memory the processor can support is 1 GB. It is hard-soldered into the board so it is not like a laptop to expand it.

As far as max storage space, in the tablet you can put in a 64 GB microSD card (formatted for FAT32 or NTFS) and it works fine. You cannot put any apps on it as App2SD is not Honeycomb compatible. 16 GB should be plenty of room for apps for anyone though. If you can find a larger microSD, it should work too.

Beyond that, the storage is up to you. You can do 64 GB SD card in the keyboard dock (or SD adapter to plug into the charging port), any size USB drive as long as it can power on 1 USB port. I have a 1TB drive that I carry around and it works great.

One member at TransformerForums.com modified his dock and squeezed in a 500 GB Hard Drive for storage space.

The TF201 (Transformer Prime) can run circles around the TF101. The key differences:
TF201 has a quad core 1.3 GHz processor vs Dual Core 1.0 GHz processor
TF201 has 12 hours of battery life compared to 10 (tablet only)
TF201 is much thinner (same thickness as an iPad)
TF201 comes in Grey/Purple and Gold and the TF101 was only bronze
TF201 has a birghter screen for outdoor viewing
TF201 has 32/64 GB sizes vs 16/32 GB on the TF101
TF201 keyboard has 1 USB port vs the TF101 has 2 USB

Regardless what the tablets ship with (TF101 Android 3.0 and TF201 3.2.1) they will be upgradable to the latest build of Android for free. ICS should be out very soon for both of them, hopefully by the end of January.

For wireless, on the TF101 as long as your Wireless N is at 2.4 GHz (it cannot see the 5 GHz band) and that you are using channels 1-10 (TF101 can see 11 but it is weaker than normal and channels 12-14 are blocked) you should be all set. I would recommend using WPA or WPA2 encryption. WEP and the TF have not gotten along that well.

The only time you will want the extra horsepower IMO is if you are planning on playing lots of hardcore games. The TF101 can handle 1080p video (only displays at 720p) as is. If you can get a new TF101 (16 GB) for $250-$300, I would get that. If not, I would get the Prime (32 GB starting at $499)

Last edited:

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
I'm thinking of getting one. I don't really need to hold out for the new Prime quad-core model. This one looks nice and the price isn't bad.

What's max expansion memory you can put in?

I see it supports Wireless N. I bought a Coby Kyros 7" tablet that only supports B/G and it won't work with my Netgear router. Good thing this tablet is for a gift. Does anyone else here use their TF101 with a Netgear Wireless N? I'd hate to replace it since it works fine. I have a 1TB media player hooked up to my tv.

I asked this in another forum.. but are any of these tablets upgradable RAM like how I'd upgrade a notebook or desktop computer?

The TF101 supports up to 32 GB microSD cards. Mine works fine with my Netgear WNDR 3300. As far as I am aware, I don't believe you can upgrade the RAM (actually you mean the internal memory). There is a difference. All TF101's come with 1 GB of RAM, and either 16 or 32 GB of internal storage.

yuppicide

Dec 6, 2011
Thanks for the replies. I wish it came with the keyboard, but I don't really need that. I mean, I'm buying it as a tablet, not a laptop or home computer.

So, I looked up what that APP2SD does.. so are you saying I can't put games on the SD card? 'Cause if so, that SD card is pretty useless to me. That's the main reason I'd want to put one in.

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
Thanks for the replies. I wish it came with the keyboard, but I don't really need that. I mean, I'm buying it as a tablet, not a laptop or home computer.

So, I looked up what that APP2SD does.. so are you saying I can't put games on the SD card? 'Cause if so, that SD card is pretty useless to me. That's the main reason I'd want to put one in.

Yeah, unfortunately, the SD card is really only good for saving music or movie files. Or documents that you might create with Polaris.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011

Seriously though, even 16 GB of apps is a lot, unless you have an offline GPS with the entire world loaded on it. Grand Theft Auto 3 was released today for a lot of devices, and it is only around 30 MB of space on your device.

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
Seriously though, even 16 GB of apps is a lot, unless you have an offline GPS with the entire world loaded on it. Grand Theft Auto 3 was released today for a lot of devices, and it is only around 30 MB of space on your device.

Try downloading Asphalt 6 HD. Once you install the app and try running it for the first time, it tells you that it needs to download an additional 560 MB of data files.

Weebee

Dec 1, 2011
You can't go wrong with the TF. There is a bad side though. At first my wife thought the TF was a wasteful, stupid thing, stuck her nose in the air and kept reading from her pandigital e-reader. But, lately when I come home from work I see she is reading books and playing stupid zombies on my TF!!!!!!! Well, I fixed her. And my savings account, I got a TF under the tree for her.

yuppicide

Dec 6, 2011
I bought a Coby Kyros MID7012 with 4GB in it as a Christmas gift.

It has 3GB left. Pretty useless to have an microSD slot and not being able to use it for anything but music, movies, and pictures.

I was going to go buy a card to give as a gift also, but now I think I'll pass.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Try downloading Asphalt 6 HD. Once you install the app and try running it for the first time, it tells you that it needs to download an additional 560 MB of data files.

True, but I am not sure that that many people are going to have 20+ games of this size on their tablet. Even 20 of them would still fit on the TF with a bit of room to spare.

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
True, but I am not sure that that many people are going to have 20+ games of this size on their tablet. Even 20 of them would still fit on the TF with a bit of room to spare.

One plus with the Android Market (and Amazon App Store) is once you buy an app, you can always uninstall it to free up space if you're not playing it anymore, and then reinstall it again later.

SL1CK0N3

Jul 23, 2011
III have lots of games music and videos and space hasn't been a concern yet with the 16 .... wish my Xbox was the same ....but I love the transformer.

Sent from my Transformer TF101

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
I still think moving apps to the SD on all newer devices (especially tablets is pointless. Why would you need applications (which need to boot fast) on an SD card when you have at least 8GB of onboard memory, with a number of 16GB being more likely? Extra media on the card, apps on the device. Makes sense to me.

I mean no insult, I just really don't see the point.