How do you like your TF101?

SL1CK0N3

Jul 23, 2011
Mine has sixteen and eight gig SD card I considered the thirty-two but I didn't see it necessary

Sent from my Transformer TF101

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
One plus with the Android Market (and Amazon App Store) is once you buy an app, you can always uninstall it to free up space if you're not playing it anymore, and then reinstall it again later.

Also, the Transformer (both TF101 and TF201) have an app to backup your data from one or more apps so you will not lose your save games and such if you were to uninstall it from your system and did a factory reset. Just restore the data from that app and you are back in business.

yuppicide

Dec 6, 2011
Well, the reason I was mentioning it was because I bought a Coby Kyros 4GB as a Christmas gift. It has about 3GB left.

SL1CK0N3

Jul 23, 2011
Never backed anything up I'm sure I can do more with this thing than I know. but I just checked my memory is only half full.
Also couldn't find ashphalt 6!?

Last edited:

jtsauburn

Sep 15, 2011
I also love my transformer! I bought mine in May and barely touched my pc since! I also have the keyboard and highly suggest you get it ( it adds 2 usb ports, a full size sd port and has a battery that adds about 5 hrs. If the one you get doen't come with the keyboard, you can get one on Amazon. I have the 32gb version as well as 2 class 10 32gb cards (1sd, 1 micro-sd). I only use the cards so I can easily move files from my camera and camcorder. So far I've loaded apps and haven't begun to use the internal memory. I wanted to have all my movies and music available so I also got a 1tb portable drive (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041OSQ9S/ref=oh_o00_s00_i01_details). There's a 3g version available, but I opted for the wifi only version, and use my phone tethered whenever I can't find wifi (rarely). I also use the transformer via the usb port to keep my phone charged.
Don't be alarmed by the 1gb memory. Unlike a pc that would gasp and crawl with 1gb of ram, the transformer runs fine, handling video and other apps without any problems.

I use the Netgear 600N wireless router and connect with no problem. I've also connected my camera, camcorder, phone and other things without problems via usb and bluetooth. One thing though, dvd players won't work. I was troubled by this at first, but now I don't mind. I've converted my entire dvd collection and put it on my portable hard drive which is way easier to carry around and use than my dvd player and dvd's. I have the dish network app that let's me watch everything I see on my tv including streaming movies via blockbuster movie pass. There are also several online sites. Netflix and Hulu also have apps.

If I was buying now, I'd probably opt for the transformer prime, but only to anticipate for the future. There are many programs that work on the transformer, but few developed specifically designed for Honeycomb. Even fewer designed for the power of the Prime, so unless you are into cutting edge gaming, the transformer should easily meet your needs. Even so, if you can, wait a few weeks until the prime is out. Once the prime is out, you should see the prices on the transformer drop (i'd say right around Christmas time).

I suspect both the transformer and prime will see Ice Cream Sandwich about the same time. This should be a major benefit as the one thing that's held up android app development is the many versions of android that are out, with different ones for phone and tablet. ICS provides one platform, that will help developers.

You will probably find (As I did), that it's just as easy (or easier) to do things on the transformer as on your pc, and way more convenient. I am an avid reader, and reading on the transformer is a dream! All books are available a ebooks, you can read without additional lighting, adjust the font the way you want, and never lose a bookmark!

I'm sure you'll love your transformer! Make sure you check out the androidmarket for apps that do what you want. Also, Amazon has an app store, and gives a paid app for free every day. I've found an app for just about everything I want to do, and generally, the apps cost less than pc apps. Android is an"open" system, meaning just about anyone can write an app and put it in the market. As a result, there are both good and bad apps. Most apps are good, but to be safe, make sure you read the user reviews. Also, before you buy an app, make sure you know their return policy. This forum is a excellent source for information on apps and everything else. Malware is an issue, but so far, I haven't had a problem.. That said, make sure you get a good virus protection program. There are many available, but some aren't so good. If you have one you like on your pc, look for the android version (the big 2, Symantec and McAfee both have apps; I use Symantec).

The transformer comes with several apps, but they aren't always the best. The browser is weak; better options are Dolphin, Opera, Firefox and Maxthon; I prefer Dolphin. The office suite (Polaris) is also weak. Better options include Documents To Go, and OfficeSuite Pro; I prefer OfficePro. Better keyboard options include Swiftkey Tablet X, Thumb Keyboard, and Swipe Keyboard; I use Swiftkey. I use the DejaOffice personal organizer, which does a better job of managing calendar and contacts. There a quite a few camera apps available that add features not found in the standard camera app. There are apps for just about anything you want. Google has several good ones like Google Maps, Translate, and Google+. Many of your pc apps have android versions also. Most, but not all are in the android market; if you don't see it there, check their website.

Some other "must have's" are: a usb 3.0 entender cord (the power cord is really short; make sure it is usb 3.0), a screen protector (reduces glare and fingerprints - I use Invisibleshield (www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/asus-eee-pad-transformer-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php)

You will also want a protective case. I use Tuff-luv (www, tuff-luv. com) and a carrying case. I use the Vangoddy case (www.amazon.com/Transformer-TF101-A1-10-1-Inch-Computer-Keyboard/dp/B005478LC8/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324180858&sr=1-6).

I've used Asus products for many years and have always been happy with the quality and customer service. Since getting the transformer, Asus has been very timely with updates.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I also love my transformer! I bought mine in May and barely touched my pc since!

I've pretty much retired my notebook, with the included Splashtop remote I can connect to my desktop from anywhere for those few times I need windows software for a project. People that haven't had the opportunity to spend time with the Transformer, especially with the keyboard dock, couldn't understand why this device is in a class all by itself (joined shortly by the Prime).

gpo1956

Dec 18, 2011
I still think moving apps to the SD on all newer devices (especially tablets is pointless. Why would you need applications (which need to boot fast) on an SD card when you have at least 8GB of onboard memory, with a number of 16GB being more likely? Extra media on the card, apps on the device. Makes sense to me.

I mean no insult, I just really don't see the point.
I'm extremely new to this. How, exactly, do you transfer them back to the device memory? Thanks.

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
I still think moving apps to the SD on all newer devices (especially tablets is pointless. Why would you need applications (which need to boot fast) on an SD card when you have at least 8GB of onboard memory, with a number of 16GB being more likely? Extra media on the card, apps on the device. Makes sense to me.

I mean no insult, I just really don't see the point.
I'm extremely new to this. How, exactly, do you transfer them back to the device memory? Thanks.

Well, we're here to help you out! :) First off, I'll bring out that while SD cards are quite fast (especially class 10 cards (the class corresponds to how many MB a second it can write to the card)), tablet drives are way way faster. Most tablets today use SSDs (Solid-State Drives), which, when compared to regular hard-drives have no moving parts; are very shock-resistant; and have extremely high read and write speeds (meaning you get great, snappy performance). Hence, storing apps on the internal SSD allows the data to be accessed more quickly, and lets them boot/operate faster. This is especially true of larger apps.

So, to address your question: I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I'm assuming you mean transferring apps back to the device if you moved them onto an SD card? I can (hopefully) answer that. Apparently the app 'App2SD' can move apps both to and from an SD card. If you used that app in the first place, it should be relatively easy to reverse the process and even if you didn't, it should still be able to find the apps. Here's a section of text I dug up from a website on the subject:
If you don’t want all of your apps to be saved to your SD card (because you may not be able to start them up if your phone is connected to your computer), you can always reverse the process. By pressing On SD Card you can transfer the app back to the internal storage.
A bit vague, but it seems that in the app you can switch to the "On SD Card" category for apps and tap each one to transfer them back to your tablet.

I hope that helps you out!

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Thanks very much for the response. I'll look into it apps2sd and give it a try.

If we are talking Honeycomb here apps2sd is not an option anyway.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
App2SD will install on Honeycomb, and may move some data, but the apps will no longer run and you will mostly likely have to wipe data to get everying back to normal.

Best to stay away from App2SD or any similar apps on Honeycomb.