how I root my kyros 7016 step by step for dummies (like me)

alexdiaz73

Oct 20, 2011
Hi, here I am going to give you the steps that I made for root my kyros 7016... sorry my english this is not my natural language...

step 1) you have to get access to android market without root... there is another tutorial
that explain this very well at
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-tablets/19637-how-root-coby-kyros-mid7016.html
it is a post of danilo that explain the procedure for install market without need to root.

basically you have to download this: Market.rar - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download
in the link there is 4 .apk archives that you have to put in your tablet (with usb cable) and install the archives
in this order: OneTimeInitializer.apk, SetupWizard.apk, GoogleServicesFramework.apk and Vending.apk.
Turn your tablet off and turn it on again.

ok, now you have access to android market, so if that is enough for you stop now.... if you want to root continue
in my case I was triying to conect to the internet my kyros using my nokia n97 as access point (i have a good internet plan with it) so I was checking info for the las 3 days to make posible the rooting.

step 2) you have to install clockworkmod. for this you need the custom file make by a genius named "fun" that have
a website were there is a SPECIFIC CLOCKWORKMOD file for the COBY mid7016 (made for him)....the link to this great site is this:
Telechips custom firmwares | androtab.info
You have to search in this page the COBY Kyros MID7016 GB ROM ClockworkMod Recovery 5 file...NOTE: PLEASE don't try to install another clockworkmod file... use only this file....IF NOT YOU CAN DAMAGE YOUR TABLET
this is the direct link to the archive:
http://androtab.info/files/telechips/cm7/20111013/KYROS7016GB-8K/KYROS7016GB-8K-recovery-signed.zip

(repeat after me.... THANKS FUN... THANKS)

maybe you are asking what a hell is clockworkmod ( i made my self the same question)....the tablets have a Recovery mode that is here to make a kind of HARD RESET or format of the tablet...in case of malfunction or something like that...that is the STOCK RECOVERY MODE...the CLOCKWORKMOD is a Recovery Mode that include in his menu another very useful options that the stock recovery don't have..... between them is the option of intalls a zip file that is what are going to use later....

step 2 a
boot your device in recovery mode....note there is 4 kinds of boots in the kyros 1) the normal one, 2) the flashmode, 3) the fwdn mode 4) the recovery mode.... the last one (the recovery mode is what we need)
I almost search one hour in google for the combinations of keys to enter the recovery mode in my kyros, and can't find anything!!!, finally i discovery trying diferents combinatios for my self....so here I put the 4 diferent options....
- for boot in flashmode you have to press the menu key and hold down then press the reset button with the tip of the pencil and hold the menu key for about 5 seconds until the flashmode screen show up....
- for fwdn mode you have to hold down the home key....and repeat the same that for flash mode...i mean press reset and wait 5 seconds with the key pressed.... note in both cases flashmode and fwdn mode the boot is very quick (less than 6 seconds)....
- obviusly for the normal mode, you have to turn on the tablet without press anything.....
- for the recovery mode you have to hold down the BACK key (the plated round key in the front of the tablet) but ATENTION you have to wait more than the other cases with the key hold down .... that will be about 15 or 20 seconds ... don't get confused because the coby logo show up (this confuse to me because i think that it was booting in normal mode and then released the key and tried another combinations, until finally i decide wait a little bit then i found it the answer) so....press reset with the back key pressed and hold down .....the coby logo show up into the first 5 seconds but you have to wait with the key hold down because 15 seconds later you enter to the recovery mode.....

The keys for navigate in the menus of the stock recovery are: menu key to down in the list and the round (back) button to select and execute a option of the list.... PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL because the funtions of the keys explained in the fun website and other sites it is not the same than in the coby 7016

step 2 b make a backup dump of your stock recovery mode... personally i can't do this , i make the steps that explain FUN in his site but nothing was write in my sd card.... I don't know why... but I found a dump made from another user and download it and skip this step.... the method of make the dump it is explain in the "fun" site the same link of above...
Telechips custom firmwares | androtab.info

step 2 c copy the clockworkmod file ( the version specific for the coby 7016 that you download from the fun site) in the root of sd card, and rename it as update.zip.... NOTE: the file that you downloaded is a zip file, don't unzip it copy the file in the same zip format and rename it.........
then boot into recovery mode and install this upgrade.zip....in the menu of the recovery you will have this option, remember... menu key to down and the back to execute the option of the list ..... and be careful don't make anything else like format or erase with the other options in this menu......then you can reset the tablet and boot again in recovery mode and you have to see the new clockworkmod recovery mode installed and the new list of options that you can use....

step 3) now you have to download the SUPERUSER file from SU site....Superuser the file is the su-3.0-bin-efgh-signed.zip that are in the section of froyo, gingerbread, honeycomb be careful don't use the file that is for 1.6 DONUT... the direct link is this:
http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/su-3.0-bin-efgh-signed.zip

then you have to put this zip into the sd card, and boot again in recovery mode, and use the option of
install zip of clockworkmod to install it....

NOTE IMPORTANT: the keys to navigate inside the clockworkmod are diferent of the stock recovery .... here you down in the list with menu (this is the same)... but you execute the option of the list with the home key... so be carefull if you think that this key is for go up in the menu because you can execute something that you dont want to do. now the tablet is almost ready, the only thing that is missing is to have the icon of superuser in the home screen....

NOTE for the newbies like me> SUPERUSER is basically the aplication or something like that.... wich make the root of the tablet...remember that be root is have superuser access to a list of task that you can't access if you are not superuser.

step 4) boot in normal mode, go to the android market, remember that you get access of android market in the step one ... search superuser, and install it.... then you go to the aplications and finally you will found the SuPERusER icon there....

Maybe in the step one, android market step.... you need to register a gmail account that will be attached to the android market account.... i made this 4 days ago (the second day) and don't remember so well this part...sorry the reason is I was reading a lot of different methods for the root in the next 3 days, and i forget this but is very simple because a newbie like me make this the second day....

I hope that was useful for a lot of people like me that was waiting for a root method for this device... I am newbie with
android (have 5 days with my tablet, and it is my first android experience)...anyway I am not so newbie in flashing, chips, and this kind of stuff... i flashed xbox, chiped ps2,ps1, I altered my n97 mini phone for run any code....so this was an interesting challenge....

Sorry my bad english... I am from ECUADOR....from a little city named Esmeraldas.....GREETINGS from here

best regards
Alex Diaz.

thanks again to FUN, DANILO, The developers of superuser, the developers of clockworkmod....this gays are superheroes than deserve all the credits.....

paulougarcia

Oct 26, 2011
Hi Alex!

Greetings for your post! My english is worse than your and maybe it is why I did'nt catch the whole thing.

In the step 2b, where I can download the same archive that you ("but I found a dump made from another user and download it and skip this step").

Thanks

alexdiaz73

Oct 20, 2011
Hi Alex!

Greetings for your post! My english is worse than your and maybe it is why I did'nt catch the whole thing.

In the step 2b, where I can download the same archive that you ("but I found a dump made from another user and download it and skip this step").

Thanks

Hi, what i mean is that this step is not obligatory.... it is made just in case.... but I did not make this step because, I found a link with backup of the factory recovery already made, so I tried once but I did not found the backup into my sd card so i decided jump this step because I already have the backup (made for another person in another kyros 7016)... the link is in a topic of this website.... I dont remember the post....but if you want I can send you the backup.... anyway that is not necesary because the clockworkmod recovery is a lot better than the stock recovery... and work like charm...

Best regards,

GnR

Oct 30, 2011
Just a confirmation that I was able to install Google Market using the instructions in this thread on my new 7016 bought yesterday. I had to install the marketplace to get Facebook to work. The Facebook version that is on "AppsLib" would not let me login.

I haven't tried rooting yet, but probably will in the future.