(How To) CM7 Bootable SD

sparrowlord01

Feb 27, 2012
Thanks for the info. The Partition tool worked great. Now I can boot from the SD card. I did have to make the partition around 200MB to have room for the google apps files. Now I need to figure out how to get my music and videos onto the SD card from the PC. Windows does not see any of the partitions on the SD card besides the boot. In the partition manager they show up as but aren't accessible. Any suggestions? Thanks again.Ric

Rich

Well, the Disk Management console in Win 7 won't change the partition to expand it. Can you point me to a recommended partition manager for this application? Thanks for the help. I've been on PCs since before they had keyboards, but Android is new to me and I really appreciate all the help.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Now I need to figure out how to get my music and videos onto the SD card from the PC. Windows does not see any of the partitions on the SD card besides the boot. In the partition manager they show up as but aren't accessible. Any suggestions? Thanks again.Ric

Boot into CM7 on the card (power off insert the card and power on). Once up and running you can use a usb cable to connect to the PC and transfer files or use a wireless method such as dropbox (its an app).

You can't transfer files directly to the card by placing it in a card reader or booting to the internal memory and trying to transfer. Only the small boot partition will be visible in those cases.

sparrowlord01

Feb 27, 2012
Thanks for all the help. I have it working now. You wouldn't happen to know of any good media players that can do more than just .mp4 files would you?

Centurus

Mar 29, 2012
Hi. I've had a Nook Color now for roughly 8 months. About a month ago I had tried out Android 3.0, bootable off a microSD card, and really liked how the Nook functioned as a tablet, and that I didn't have to overwrite the Nook's stock programming.

I tried using a different microSD card, a 16 gig SanDisk, and tried using the methods and files described in the first post of this thread for Android 2.3. When I inserted the card into the Nook, and booted, I saw a Linux loading screen, and then after a minute, the Nook turned itself off. When I tried booting again, it booted straight into the normal Nook Color, not Android at all. Now, I can't seem to recover the SD card's capacity.

How can I restore the card to it's original 16 gig capacity condition, or did I just screw up my card? I had followed the instructions in the first post of this thread to the letter. The Nook isn't rooted, but the card, I can't get the 16 gig capacity back now.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi Centurus, you just need to format the card and try again. Windows only formats the boot partition of the card, so you need a third party program to do it on the PC... or you can use the Nook Color itself. Fortunately it has a robust built-in format function. Simply turn on the Nook Color without the SD card inserted to boot up as normal. Then insert the card. Go to settings>storage>unmount sd card then choose format. You will now have your sd card back to factory fresh.

Karibes

Feb 5, 2012
Yo, guys

I do not understand one thing... how to install kernel in SD for CM7? I read J515OP's post, but I still do not get it working, so I do not know how to do....

Thanks for answering

Best regards, Karibes

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi Karibes, you don't need to install a kernel since it is is built into the bootable ROM. If yo do want to change the kernel you can put "update-" without the quotes at the beginning of the kernel zip file name and put it on the boot partition of the SD card. Then boot into recovery and the SD card should see the file and flash it.

To enter recovery, power down then hold the power and n button until the screen turns on. When the screen goes blank release the power button but keep holding the n button. Press the power button again for 3-5 seconds while still holding the n button the entire time. The screen should go blank and then boot into recovery, now it is ok to release the n button. If the screen turns all the way off you held the power button for too long.

JP

niteflytes

Apr 2, 2012
Hi, I've successfully completed steps 1 through 10. At step 11 when I boot my Nook from the SD card I don't get the option to run the setup wizard. It boots directly into CM7. I've searched for an answer but haven't found one so if anyone can help I'd appreciate it. Thank you to everyone who has made this bootable SD card possible!

niteflytes

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi, I've successfully completed steps 1 through 10. At step 11 when I boot my Nook from the SD card I don't get the option to run the setup wizard. It boots directly into CM7. I've searched for an answer but haven't found one so if anyone can help I'd appreciate it. Thank you to everyone who has made this bootable SD card possible!

niteflytes

I think that was changed in the later builds of CM7. You can just skip the setup wizard part and go into settings to address most of those items. Glad you got it going :)

JP

CamBreal

Apr 7, 2012
Went through the list, again, and everything fired up (even got the wizard for the first time).
In the past it never got to the black screen (somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 times).

This time got in and everything was running for about an hour and then in the middle (ironically) of downloading Titanium Backup, the screen went black; after poking a number of keys in desperation, I got half of the screen back.

Tried to reboot and black screen (actually looks like an ultraviolet bulb, because there is levels of black when off or on).

Tried the Boot menu options:
SD normal, ultaviolet black.
Alternative, just sits at the boot menu
Recovery,
Have a choice beteeen SD and Emmc
eMMC, OUCH - Factory reset; almost fell out of my chair!
SD,

These are the steps I went through... there must be something I'm not getting.
I've read the comments about ungzipping to the root of the C drive etc; but is that really going to make ay difference?

Using a 16gb Sandisk 4, and have tired a couple of 2s. - going to try one more just for hah hahs.
If I have to I'll wipe the 16gb and try again, but it was SOOO close!

Nook Color -
(SD): 1. CM7 7.1.0, 2. CM7 7.0.3 Encore
(eMMC): CM9 Nightlies

----------------

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/search.php?searchid=2403727
----------------
Used EASUS to fully wipe the card

? sdformatter next time ?

----------------

*-> http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html

Generic image - [ROM][CM7] [v1.3] Size-agnostic SD Card image and CM7 installer for SD Cards. - xda-developers

CM7 - CyanogenMod Downloads

GAPSS - Goo-inside.me Downloads - Downloading gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip
(New .gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip package available. - Nook Color Experimental Mod - CyanogenMod Forum)

WIN32diskImager - https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download

Can't see partition to copy (but was looking for E, not F)

EASEUS - extend to 420 MB

NOW can see Partition to copy files to.

Copied: update-cm-7.1.0-encore-signed.zip and gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip to primary partition

"Safely Remove"

Generated

Ran for awhile

Downloaded something

blackscreened

----------------------------------------

ARRGH?

I can see a few things not to do, expand partition - but in past it never worked at all.

There was something when the partition can't be seen (putting in nook to boot normal), but that ever worked before.

This time it was up and running then BLACK!

CamBreal

Apr 7, 2012
-Oddly only my second post came through, the detailed one is still out there-

UPDATE: EASUS checked partition and physically, seems to be happy; unless of course the first partition is not the boot for CM7

I Posted a plea for help before; the cause is (again) the boot partition is "missing".
I don't get what I'm doing wrong.... I've seen that error before.

I could always get to the boot menu (once I read enough to find it).

I only have other 2gb cards, but with other IMGs, they too had all the same problems.

I figure at this point the only thing left is to ask, and be horribly embarrassed when someone points out the stupid thing I'm screwing up.

that ALWAYS works ;-)

Last edited:

CamBreal

Apr 7, 2012
SOOOooo, read a bunch of posts about boot issues; failed to figure out which partition actually would have the boot info on it; Dredged up a few long gone memories of how other systems don't care (like windows does) if the first isn't the boot. Pretty much accomplished not much.

Poked at the card with EASUES a few times, checking the partitions with what little I could.

And Recovery worked this time; and all the new apps appear to be there to.

Rebooted into Nook core, and then back to CM7.

Black screen again

REcovery? = unexpected lack of boot partition again

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Sorry, I'm not quite following 100% because you have a lot going on in your posts. I'll try and read more carefully but it appears you are getting it to boot into CM7 and then when you start trying to install apps it dies and you get stuck at a black screen. I am wondering if you have good downloads of both CM7 and Google Apps. Have you checked the MD5 Sum to make sure you have a good download of each? You may want to try deleting the files you do have and downloading from scratch. Also take a minute to check the files to make sure you are not getting corrupted downloads.

Once you get booted to CM7 you should be good to go. It is unusual to have problems once you get that far. Also just to make sure once booted into CM7 you are leaving the card in correct? If you take it out you will crash since the OS is actually running off that card.

JP

SeaShark

Apr 9, 2012
Hello,

Having problems with this, I am using a 16gb sandisk card, when I power up the Nook it goes into what appears to be different scripts running, appears to finish as there is a statement that it is powering down, the screen goes blank. When I hold the power button down - it starts to power up right to the Nook color operating system. I am leaving the micro sd card installed at this time. I have downloaded the files again to make certain that there wasn't any problems with those, and have tried this process 4 times without any success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

EDIT: I got through the process finally, had to load the CM7 file to the NC then copy the Google Apps file to the SD card and start up the NC again, then once it was powered up, I would then have it go through a reboot/recover process - everything seems good now.

Last edited: