(How To) CM7 Bootable SD

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
I thought for sure I had replied on this thread recently. The Nook I gave Granddaughter for her birthday has some glitches. It freezes up in the middle of an app and it doesn't seem to matter which app. I bought her an SD card with CM7 pre-installed and sent her the instructions from JP as well as the ones that came with the card. Now this is the slimmest information to go on, but there is no change. It doesn't give the option to switch to Android. Now my daughter isn't the most tech savvy person you would meet, but my other daughter that lives close to her is pretty good. Any suggestions for what she might try?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
First a couple of questions. 1. Are you sure the device is a Nook Color not a Nook Tablet? 2. Are you sure you bought the bootable SD card for the Nook Color? The two are not interchangeable.

If you got the right card for the right tablet all you should have to do is power down and insert the SD card. Then power back on and it should boot into regular Android instead of B&N OS.

JP

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
JB, is there a chance she's just putting the tablet to sleep and not turning it completely off? Also, sometimes I need to jiggle the SD card a little in order to get the NC to recognize it.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Spider said:
JB, is there a chance she's just putting the tablet to sleep and not turning it completely off? Also, sometimes I need to jiggle the SD card a little in order to get the NC to recognize it.

Yes, that is possible. I will give her your suggestions.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The way I read those links the SD card is for the Nook Tablet and the device is the Nook Color. Doh! :(

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
I gave her the wrong card???? The one person that reviewed it gave it a 5 star rating, said they also got one for their kid's Nook Color and couldn't be happier.

Okay, I just ordered this card for her- [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]"AndroidForNook (AFN) 8GB CyanogenMod (CM7) Dual Boot Android Micro SD Card For Nook Color"[/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
The CM7 card for Color I ordered for her works great for Android, but the Nook OS still freezes. I'd do a happy dance, but can't dance.:rolleyes:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The CM7 card for Color I ordered for her works great for Android, but the Nook OS still freezes. I'd do a happy dance, but can't dance.:rolleyes:

Is there a need to boot into the B&N OS now that she has a CM7 card? Once people use CM7 they generally stop using the B&N OS. However, now that you have a bootable SD card with CM7, you can have her try a factory restore on the B&N OS to see if that helps in the event she does want to use it for some reason.

To factory reset the B&N OS there are several methods. FIRST SAFELY REMOVE THE CM7 SD CARD (the easiest way to do this is power down and then remove). Then boot into stock Nook. In the settings for Nook Color there is an option to deregister and restore. She can try that.

JP

Last edited:

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
I think once she gets some Android Apps, the Nook Apps will be a nonfactor. However, I misread my daughter's email. What she said was she was going to download some android apps in case the Nook kept freezing up. Anyway, thanks for youe help and encouragement! :)

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
You should have returned the tablet JB, when she started having problems.I rather buy used than refurbished...I believe that the refurbished tablets are the defective ones to start with and as a matter of fact I had problems with a refurbished nook I bought for a friend from B&N .But I returned it and the second one was good.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
I got it from NewEgg for $116 (I forgot who recommended them on here) and don't know what their return policy is. Also, being 200 miles away is a bit of a hindrance. If it works fine with CM7, then it was a really good deal. :) I should know after this weekend if the BN OS still freezes.

rugerman64

Sep 11, 2012
i am looking for instructions for a nook color to make a dual boot sd. stock & cm7 NO ROOT. help please. i do NOT want to root my nook color.