How to install .apk files from SD card?

J

jimbo7630

I downloaded an app on my computer and transferred it to Micro SD Card, the card is now in the Tablet but it doesn't seem to recognize it, the only other thing on the 8GB card is a folder "Lost". should I create a File Folder and if so what should it be called or is there some other way of installing from an SD card?:confused:

J

jimbo7630

Thanks, Non-Market apps is enabled but, of course, I can't access the Market will try to find an app Installer somewhere else!

J

jimbo7630

Thanks, rgocal, again! Amazon MP seems to be only for domiciled Americans! But I have SlideMe.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
most likely you need to first format the sdcard, then any file manger should be able to install the apk, or you can simply install it from your computer as long as you have adb setup.

example

adb install /home/vampirefo/Desktop/root_explorer.apk

DanU

Mar 4, 2011
Sounds like the device is having a problem seeing the card. Is the card fomatted properly? Did you logically mount the card? Have you been able to read other data from the card in the tablet?

J

jimbo7630

Sounds like the device is having a problem seeing the card. Is the card fomatted properly? Did you logically mount the card? Have you been able to read other data from the card in the tablet?
There is no other data on the card except the Folder "Lost" I didn't format the card in the Tablet but it was "mounted".

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Done.

As far as your issue it still seems like an issue of using an apk installer or file manager capable of installing apks. Which begs the question how to install those apks if you don't have access to any market. I think the answer is in vampirefo's comment that you are going to need to use adb to get that first app going.

J

jimbo7630

Does this sound a tiny bit ignorant, what IS adb??

Edit: I do have access to SlideMe Market.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Not at all. Andriod Debug Bridge Android Debug Bridge | Android Developers. Basically it is the program a developer uses to access the Android OS. You can think of it as the command prompt for windows. It is a powerful tool but in your case it sounds like you may only need it once to get an app that is capable of installing other apps on your device.

J

jimbo7630

OIC!!! Thanks again, but I think I'll leave that until tomorrow!! Unless I can find an Installer on SlideMe.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
As mentioned the better file managers will do this too. You might look for ES File Explorer, Astro File Manager or Root Explorer for example.

J

jimbo7630

Downloaded and installed App Installer v1.4 from SlideMe Market, works like a charm! It automatically searches the SD Card (which I formatted) and gives you the option of Installing or deleting all the Apps that it finds, just what I needed!

Many thanks to all who helped, especially J515OP.