[HOW TO] Using Handbrake To Convert Video For The Nook Color

NCNoob

Dec 29, 2010
Seems like there's two answers to that question:

(1) Some prefer an all-in-one solution, which "rips" the video off the DVD and then does the conversion to h.264 (one of the formats the Nook plays). Go ahead and scan through this thread to see a few examples. I think most of these run $10-$30.

(2) There are also several programs that rip the video for free. My personal favorite is DVDShrink (Download DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15 Free - With this application you can backup DVD disks - Softpedia) which is very easy to use. A 2-hour movie should take about 10 minutes to transfer to your computer (I suppose this is the place where I'm supposed to remind you that it's illegal to copy rented movies...). Note that it creates a set of folders with your movie. Inside the Video_TS folder you'll find a file named something like VTS_01_1.vob which is your ripped movie. Just feed that into Handbrake and you're all set! Depending on the speed of your computer, and the settings you use, you should have a fully converted movie in 2-4 hours.

If you decide to use DVDShrink let me know and I'll share a few tips. :)

-Matt

So Handbrake does not rip the DVDs? I just downloaded DVDShrink. I am going to give it a shot.

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Great! I've seen some discussion about Handbrake ripping, and my impression is it used to, but not anymore. Guess I'm not a good authority on that question. :)

Two things to consider when using DVDShrink: first, make sure to turn off compression while ripping, and second, it makes life a lot easier if you rip to one VOB file, rather than breaking them into 1GB units. Let me know if you don't see those options in the menu/settings.

-Matt

NCNoob

Dec 29, 2010
Windows Explorer keeps crashing while I am trying to access my video files. Looks like I may have to remove some software.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
At which point is it crashing...after the rip? Or while DVDShrink is running?

-Matt

NCNoob

Dec 29, 2010
After the rip. And there were a bunch of the VOB files even though I chose the option for 1 file. I was able to select the largest VOB file, which looked like the whole movie, and everything looked good in the conversion preview. The only thing was the audio was the directors/actors audio. I couldn't figure that out. When I converted the file it didn't have an extension. I ended up deleting the whole folder because of the crashes.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Not sure about the crash, but the audio-video issue sounds like you had a DVD with lots of special features. Did you grab the title under Main Movie (usually Title 1) and drag it over to the left? Also, on the Compression Settings tab, there is sometimes an option to turn off some of the audio tracks...you might want to check that.

I should note, though, that once in a while I've tried to rip a movie that had extra encryption...don't laugh, but "Race to Witch Mountain" was really weird...it showed up in DVDShrink as like 27 titles with slightly different lengths, and when I ripped any of them the result was the movie all out of order! Turns out the real one was hiding in the list.

-Matt

NCNoob

Dec 29, 2010
Finally!!! I got a video on the NC. Awesome. Just in time for my wife's trip to Dallas on Monday.

I used the lower encryption just as a time save so I could mess around with the settings and understand it better. Also, I haven't ordered her the 32 gb card so I was conserving space on the 2 gb.

Tonight I am going to try the higher quality encryption and see if it works.

I am so stoked. Thank you for your help. BTW, I dusted off one of my old laptops, formatted it and I am going to use it solely for the converting. I was sick of having my work laptop being occupied.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Awesome! Seems like once you find settings that work, most videos transcode OK. You got a 32GB card? I am rather jealous. :mad:

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Wait, I tell you that I'm lusting after your sdcard and you give me the specs AND a link!?!?!? Not fair.

-Matt

NCNoob

Dec 29, 2010
I was just hoping that you could tell me if I was buying a dog or not. I wasn't intending to rub it your face.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Waitwaitwait!!!! We have to sort some things out here...

...first, I was joking before! I'm always peeking over my neighbor's fence, so the little green monster is my best friend. :p What I mean is I like to complain about other people's good fortune...but I was teasing you about the card.

But more importantly DON'T BUY THE CARD!!!! It's a standard sdhc (hc = high capacity) card, not a MICRO sdcard, which is the size that fits in the Nook. The one you saw at Dell is too big. Make sure you end up with something that looks more like this:
$41H0Tn3bXUL._AA160_.jpg
I haven't checked Dell, but I'm seeing 32GB Class 2 cards for $70-$80 and Class 4 and Class 6 cards for close to $100 (the Class of the card determines its read/write speed...for Nook, my personal feeling is Class 2 is fine...but other members may suggest a higher Class).

Hope you haven't pushed the buy button yet... :(

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Are you sure Handbrake decrypts??? I thought I read that the latest version dropped decryption (but I also might have dreamt it!).

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/WindowsGuiGuide

First things first. Handbrake does NOT decrypt Commercial DVD or Bluray discs.

Third-party software is required for this part of the process. (e.g. AnyDVD, DVD43 or DVD Decryptor)

There is also plenty of other software that is available for this task, but will not be discussed in this article. Feel free to google and research the various software available.
-Matt