[HOWTO] HAiPAD M701 Flashing firmware on windows vista

apad.king

Aug 20, 2010
Thought I would share the procedure I use on windows vista as it adds a couple of steps due to Vista not seeing your tablet correctly while probing. Apologies if this has been recorded elsewhere but worth mentioning again I think.

This has been tried using the 9/30 2.1 firmware available on HAiPADs web site. I loaded this over the fake 2.2 software that came with my M701 which was not stable and kept locking up. My M701 is the one where the Micro SD card sticks out slightly from Apad.

1. Install the telechips driver supplied with the firmware on your PC and unzip all the files in the firmware pack. Install into a directory off the C:/ drive and ensure no Chinese characters are in the name.
2. Power on your HAiPad G10 and go to wi-fi settings screen. Press Right rocker key (Home) on top right of Apad to enter Advanced settings. There you will find your 12 char MAC address. Make a note of it as you will need it later
3. Open up FWDN V7 – 2.10.exe program
4. Add the three files lk.rom, tcc8900_mtd.img and NAND Data.fai to the main screen by clicking on box with … in and then select each file, then click on add file box.
5. Click on Tools -> Options and put your MAC address in Click Insert WiFi Mac address and No auto increment boxes. The first part of your mac address goes in the OUI box preceded by 0x and the second part of your mac address goes in NIC box preceded by 0x. All other boxes should be left as default and no other check box should be checked. Double check everything and then click OK.
6. On main screen you should leave the box as “Default Download”
7. Now power off your Apad on the side.
8. Plug the power lead in.(This is important)
9. Slide the power to on position on side.
10. While pressing the power button on front of apad almost at same time press the right home button on the top of Apad for about 3 seconds then release buttons. The screen should show the flash screen and stay stopped at it. If you see the penguin character you were not quick enough with holding down the buttons so you need to start at 7 again.
11. So now you are sat at splash screen. Plug the usb cable in to computer and then the Apad. A device probing box should appear on your PC. If nothing happens in box then plug in a USB stick it into another USB port. The device probing box may disappear but now the NAND box on screen will be highlighted.
12. Click the NAND box, change the partition label to HAIPAD and click create image. If all worked OK a box should come up to say so.
13. Now back in main screen click start. A box will appear saying “single download”. At this point “Safely remove hardware” the USB stick you just plugged in. Now the download session begins and the box will have a blue edge.
14. After about 4 mins the box turns green and you will have installed the firmware.
15. Switch Apad off on side button. Disconnect USB cable from Apad. Now power on your Apad using side button and then button on front.
16. Now calibrate your screen and set correct locale and date and time etc....

Hope this helps some people who struggle with this on Vista.

revdoc

Oct 20, 2010
Hi I can't get my Vista PC to recognize my Haipad 701 (android 2.1). My little manual is useless, and I can't find a website (at least not with English) where I can find a driver. It sounds like you know this machine really well -- can you help me with this, Please?

harvey186

Oct 27, 2010
Where can I find 64 bit VTC driver. I'm using Win7 x64 and I cant install the XP drivers.

Thanks,
Harvey

yhingz

Nov 15, 2010
mine there's no display, i can tell its on because there a sound when its power "on" likewise when i touch the screen. so i have no chance of getting the mac address is there a way where i can do. I'm also having problem with the usb it says "it doesnt recognize" even if I installed the VTC driver.

myact

Nov 13, 2010
I am in the same boat as you. Mine does not boot up at all. There is a red light on screen, there is a little sound when I put the SD card in and out but the power button does not work. Moreover, it did not come with any kind of software. The computer does not recognize it either? What do I do? Guys, please help. Thanks so much.

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
please be more specific.
a)
1. did you charge the Pad for some hours.
2. did you use the hardware power switch
3. did you press the ([]) button for some seconds

b) the 'sound' is it just a 'hissing' or a 'confirmation sound'

c) by 'not recognized' do you mean you have no driver or there is no reaction.

At the moment i would suspect that the LCD cable came loose when the pad was shipped to you.
you can eighter try to fix it yourself by opening the pad or send it back as 'DOA' so your vendor can fix it or send another device.
but i dont have a lot of info to base that suspicion on ;)

myact

Nov 13, 2010
please be more specific.
a)
1. did you charge the Pad for some hours.
2. did you use the hardware power switch
3. did you press the ([]) button for some seconds

b) the 'sound' is it just a 'hissing' or a 'confirmation sound'

c) by 'not recognized' do you mean you have no driver or there is no reaction.

At the moment i would suspect that the LCD cable came loose when the pad was shipped to you.
you can eighter try to fix it yourself by opening the pad or send it back as 'DOA' so your vendor can fix it or send another device.
but i dont have a lot of info to base that suspicion on ;)

Thank you for the reply. I charged it for few hours. The problem is that the red light on the front goes off frequently and I have to reconnect it to the power supply. I did that many times.
I am not sure what is the difference between "Hardware on" and "[] on". I tried the "On/off" switch on the side (which could actually be for screen) and yes, I tried pressing the "[]" switch for few seconds.... ANytime I do that, the red light goes off after 3-4 seconds.

b) The sound is like a brief hissing sound, which is pretty much like it is acknowledging that I am inserting/removing the SD card. Sorry, I do not know how else to describe it.

c) On computer, it did not find the driver and hence did not recognize the tablet. (Computer did show a new hardware connected to USB and it knew that it was Android eclair)

I wanted to try the option of opening it and seem if that reset the battery in any way, however, I donot know how to open it. I took a look but did not understand how can I open it. If you could help me with that, I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks again for your reply.

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
Okay, thanks for the additional input.

The 'left-right' swith is the physical powerswitch. the ([]) button is more like a 'powermanagement button'
if the pad is off (and the powerswitch is on) holding it a few moments should boot the pad.
(if the pad is on it will put it in standby with a short push and with a longer push give you the option to shut the pad down).
The LED is just a 'charging' indicator, not a power LED. it will turn off if the battery is full or no charger is connected so dont panic.

I cant make anything from the 'hissing' sound,
for me the pad gives a confirmation when i insert a SD card if the pad has been booted sucessful (a bit like the windows signal when you plug in a USB device).
so the hissing might be a signal that there is more wrong with your pad but i cant say.

The driver that your PC does not find is te driver for the ADB debugging connection so there is at least some life in your pad.
by the time your PC detects the debugging conection you shoulr have already seen a boot spashscreen on the device so that supports that your screen might be disconnected (or that the pads flash memory is quite corrupt)

If you want to open the Pad you might try a thin pice of plastic and run it between the silver plastic shell and the black plastic frame.
Be VERY careful, the touchscreen is easily broken and glued to the plastic, also if you manage to open it there is a thin ribbon cable close to the ([]) button, dont rip it!
I never opened the pad myself but you might be able to find guires here or on slatedroid (it is called G10 or G11 there i think).

//EDIT: if it never turned on for you i would REALY reccomend to send it back to the trader

Last edited:

myact

Nov 13, 2010
Thanks again Loonix....
I decided not to open it. I do not want to break it.
The pad gave a sound while it was on kept on table and I was not doing anything. The sound is a shorter version of how when your computer boots up from a sleep mode. It is the same sound it gives with inserting the card. (sorry i probably should have not called it hissing sound)
Nothing comes on screen at all for all the time computer tries to find the driver. I have not seen a single ray of light or picture on its screen.
The led light is now pretty much off. COmes on momentarily when i adjust the power cable but then goes off.
Nothing happens when I press [] button, long or short time, with power switch on or off.
Is it a dead unit?
This came from china (even though i restricted my search to north american sellers). The power adaptor was round pin chinese adaptor that I am using with a US adapter. There was no manual (seller sent me a link through this forum for the english manual but that was not helpful with this situation) He sent me a link Haipad Mid M701 Update | Result from Electronic Gadgets to get the driver from but I did not see anything there for the drivers.

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
you could get new firmware (also the driver for flashing and the flash program) from here: ????--www.haipad.net
(i do not reccomend to try the Android 2.2 firmware in its current development state the 11.16 or 9.18 firmwares should be much more functional)

But reading your experiences i realy think your LCD is disconnected or broken.
Contact your seller and arrange to send it back. In germany we also can contact our customs office to announce the shipment for repairs so we dont need to pay customs fees again, dont know if that is possible or neccesary in the US.
Probably you will not get your replacement before the next year (according to my experience with sending things back to china) =(

Andec

Nov 25, 2010
Hi! I just got my Haipad M701, and to be honest i am kinda lost with how to make it work with my Huawei E220 modem. I was reading through the comments and now i know i might have to upgrade my firmware. Could someone explain it to me please in dummy language (as i am not an IT master) how to make my modem work on my tablet and how to upgrade the firmware? PLEASEEEEE! Thanks!

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
hmm, i cant see the Huawei E220 in the list of compatible modems...
you can find some firmware HERE (manufacturer site).
Instructions with pictures on how to flash are in each download.

Andec

Nov 25, 2010
Thanks Loonix, i will check that site u gave later, i also have a huawei zte mf627 modem, does my tablet support that one? Thanks!

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
according to the readme on the latest firmware i checked these Modems are supported:
EVDO: HUAWEI EC122, ZTE AC2766, ZTE AC580, SINCOM SE 189-U, Gemtek W3GUBV-100
WCDMA: HUAWEI E180, HUAWEI E1750

But i have never tryed anything other then connecting my mobilephone (which of course did not work ^^)

locohasa

Nov 24, 2010
The led light is now pretty much off. COmes on momentarily when i adjust the power cable but then goes off.
Nothing happens when I press [] button, long or short time, with power switch on or off.
Is it a dead unit?
/
hi before drastic measure, switch of with slide switch on the side, switch slide switch back on then hold down left button on top for about 5 seconds, thats how mine switches on, I never use the front round button its just a back button when on android. good luck