Huawei - Ideos 7" Tablet S7 Just showed up on Best Buy's site

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I also spent some time on the phone last night with Verizon and they didn't seem to be able to get their service programmed on it, but in then end he suggested I bring it to the Verizon store to see what they could do. I am thinking of running over to BBY today to buy a pre-paid GSM chip to see if that works, I will report my results with that.

cricker

Nov 10, 2010
It is; the model number (S7-104) is the one with built in 3g and GPS.

Hi,

I am trying for the world of me, to identify whether the Ideos Tablet S7 on the best buy website, actually has 3G built in or not?

It doesn't specify and I can't figure it out for the world of me. I have tried writing to Huawei directly as well....however no help.

Many thanks.

cricker

Nov 10, 2010
I've been using an AT&T sim in it with (almost) no problems. It does seem like you have to boot with the sim installed for it to recognize it.

calixt0

Nov 11, 2010
I went and looked at the t mobile store at the galaxy tab and yes it has 3g for data and video chat but does not support phone calls from what I was told

AndroidIsTheTruth

Aug 15, 2010
I went and looked at one today. I didn't seen a SIM card insert at the one they had so I'm assuming it's withing the batter casing? Can someone confirm. I didn't really like the touchscreen. Guess it's been a long time since I used Resistive Screen. Didn't seen to have a good scrolling response. UI definitely lagged flipping through home screens. I would probably be more entice to check it out more had it had a capacitive screen. It would probably been enough for me to survive the 2.1.1 firmware.

It did have the market on it though. Maybe I'll buy one and play with it some till the Elocity a7 comes out. I don't know yet. Not having multi touch just doesn't sit right with me.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
The GSM slot is located inside the back cover where the battery goes. I can also confirm that the chip can be inserted without pulling the battery, but you will need to perform a full reboot for it to recognize that you have inserted a SIM. Hope that info helps.

As far as the screen goes, I agree it is not as responsive as a capacitive screen, but for me it isn't worth the extra $200 that I would have to drop for the Samsung, which is the only tablet that I would seriously consider having spent a week each with several different ones.

Cheers

AndroidIsTheTruth

Aug 15, 2010
The GSM slot is located inside the back cover where the battery goes. I can also confirm that the chip can be inserted without pulling the battery, but you will need to perform a full reboot for it to recognize that you have inserted a SIM. Hope that info helps.

As far as the screen goes, I agree it is not as responsive as a capacitive screen, but for me it isn't worth the extra $200 that I would have to drop for the Samsung, which is the only tablet that I would seriously consider having spent a week each with several different ones.

Cheers

Thanks. I might just get it to waste money on. :(

Huawei7

Nov 12, 2010
Picked up a S7-105 at Best Buy last night. Looking for an eReader and found out these can do a LOT more then just display books! Installed Nook & Border apps but also like to get epub's from library. Which leads to my question: Went out and down loaded the USB driver from Huawei installed it on a Win7 netbook but when I plug the USB cable in I can't see the SD cards in 'My Computer'. I can see the Huawei in 'Devices and Printers', I can right click on it and select 'properties' and see the 2 SD cards but can't select them. Could some one advice me on what I'm missing? Thanks:)

Last edited:

fishy

Aug 2, 2010
Finally went and looked at and it seems pretty decent. I have searched but can't seem to find out what type of video files this supports. Does anybody know?
I just want one to watch some video on the airplane or read a book, so I don't think res vs cap screen will really be a deal breaker for me. Also the wife wants a reader so if it doesn't work for me she might like it.

It says 720p on the video but has anybody watched a movie on it yet? How did it do?

Thanks,

shanksv

Nov 13, 2010
Has anyone succesfully managed to get the ATT 3G SIM working in the US. The device recognizes and identifies the SIM as ATT but I can't do anything, voice or data. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance

nlovejr

Nov 13, 2010
I just purchased the S7 yesterday from BB in Colorado and it is 3G GPS has slot for SIM Card also bluetooth I had recently purchased the Velocity Cruz tablet and returned for this as it was junk compared to the S7 also it has the market installed and working
My only beef is the short battery life as it appears to get around 4-5 hrs before needing to be recharged it is replaceable however and could be swithched out if needed

Status
Not open for further replies.