Huawei - Ideos 7" Tablet S7 Just showed up on Best Buy's site

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottyb1967

Nov 18, 2010
Thank you. My issue is that my BB has my work email and I cannot really get that real time on the tablet, so I was hoping there was a prepaid data solution. Voice I dont really find necessary.

nrage23

Nov 8, 2010
Thank you. My issue is that my BB has my work email and I cannot really get that real time on the tablet, so I was hoping there was a prepaid data solution. Voice I dont really find necessary.
If your work email is MS Exchange then you you can sync as often as you like.

I got a and AT&T sim and did a pay as you go data only plan I can activate whenever I want to supplement my Ntelos Mifi. I cannot get the data to work. I tried with and with out the APN settings and still nothing. I exchanged my first S7 and still cannot get it working. I spoke with AT&T and they said everything should be working fine. Does the data only plan have different APN settings? The AT&T lady said I should need no APN. Any suggestions?

tcat

Nov 17, 2010
So, you're saying I can buy something like this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/O2+Wireless+-+Universal+SIM+Card/9010474.p?id=1218011463039&skuId=9010474&st=o2%20sim&cp=1&lp=1

...and get anytime minutes to use when ever I want? Works in S7 and I don't need to sign up with AT&T. Does something like that have a phone# associated with it (that people can call to)?

Good news about the GPS... definitely makes this the best deal on a tablet out right now (even with its resistive screen, which seems to work great, just looks a little "cheap" to me).

edit: I looked at the 02 plan, looks like they charge $1 per day, or you go the $30 month plan. I think I'll not mess with the SIM card, since I pay $5/mo. on my VM plan (and never use up my minutes).

The O2 Prepaid Wireless SIM card at Best Buy. Cheap, makes it a phone when you need it. Runs over the AT&T network.

Last edited:

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010

I got a and AT&T sim and did a pay as you go data only plan I can activate whenever I want to supplement my Ntelos Mifi. I cannot get the data to work. I tried with and with out the APN settings and still nothing. I exchanged my first S7 and still cannot get it working. I spoke with AT&T and they said everything should be working fine. Does the data only plan have different APN settings? The AT&T lady said I should need no APN. Any suggestions?

also having problems connecting to my 3G network...:(

jon

Nov 18, 2010
True, just remember that card is voice only, no data. I personally pull the sim card out of my iphone and put it in the S7 for most of the day while at work. That gives me access to anything I want to do over the net, and keeps my in phone contact as well should somebody call me. End of the day, or when I run out of juice, I put the card back in my iphone.

I have tried my sim card out of my iphone and I'm showing the ATT network on my S7 but no signal bars, I have full signal on my iphone in the same spot. Do I need to set something up to recieve signal?

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
I have tried my sim card out of my iphone and I'm showing the ATT network on my S7 but no signal bars, I have full signal on my iphone in the same spot. Do I need to set something up to recieve signal?

i also tried to connect to the local (FIDO) 2G as well as the 3G network but to no avail; can those that confirmed 3G access let us know how they did it?

Last edited:

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
Yeah but the 3G capability is no biggie. Simply put you can go with a plethora of Mifi options available from multiple carriers and have your data anywhere while still having a better device in the end for a lesser cost. The difference in cost can get you the MiFi and the data plan will still remain the same. Again I don't see a huge benefit to the 3G at all. An excellent example of this is the video of the Archos 70 running on the MiFi module out in the open. Rockin' mobile data for a total initial investment of about $300.

For those of us with Android handsets most of us have the ability to wireless tether. So there is your wireless connection for the tablet. In any case 3G embedded in the tablets is becoming more and more of a gimmick than a necessity.

Some people actually like the built in 3G. I personally have an Android phone already and don't need it myself either, but there is actually a market for devices like this. Not everyone has a smartphone.

Not everyone can tether either.

But the whole point about it being a great deal is because the Qualcomm Snapdragon chipsets cost a lot to manufacture with. So you are getting a top dollar piece of hardware which happens to be a proven platform that has excellent dev support.

If there's enough devs on this, you can use the tablet to tether the internet to other devices too.

Wifi only? How?

I thought Snapdragon = 3G functionality: Snapdragon (processor) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The GPS and celluar modem are supposed to be integrated into the chipset. If those features are not present, can it even be called Snapdragon?

Oh and Android 2.2 works fine on 256MB of RAM. Look for information about the Acer Liquid running Android 2.2.

It is; the model number (S7-104) is the one with built in 3g and GPS.

I've been using an AT&T sim in it with (almost) no problems. It does seem like you have to boot with the sim installed for it to recognize it.

The GSM slot is located inside the back cover where the battery goes. I can also confirm that the chip can be inserted without pulling the battery, but you will need to perform a full reboot for it to recognize that you have inserted a SIM. Hope that info helps.

As far as the screen goes, I agree it is not as responsive as a capacitive screen, but for me it isn't worth the extra $200 that I would have to drop for the Samsung, which is the only tablet that I would seriously consider having spent a week each with several different ones.

Cheers

Has anyone succesfully managed to get the ATT 3G SIM working in the US. The device recognizes and identifies the SIM as ATT but I can't do anything, voice or data. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance

I just purchased the S7 yesterday from BB in Colorado and it is 3G GPS has slot for SIM Card also bluetooth I had recently purchased the Velocity Cruz tablet and returned for this as it was junk compared to the S7 also it has the market installed and working
My only beef is the short battery life as it appears to get around 4-5 hrs before needing to be recharged it is replaceable however and could be swithched out if needed

Well that was exactly what I did. Same city though. So I take it that folks have got AT&T 3G to work. When I check the status in about tablet it identifies everything, like my phone number, the netwrok type etc. but has a disconnected ststus. I will keep looking.

Thanks

The O2 Prepaid Wireless SIM card at Best Buy. Cheap, makes it a phone when you need it. Runs over the AT&T network.

I went through all the pages and all the posts one by one; and have included all the posts referring to 3G; can anyone please confirm how they are getting 3G on the At&T network please?

I would really like to be able to use this on 3G; funny thing is when scanning for networks the 3G network does appear as available..??!?!

tcat

Nov 17, 2010
Also interested in this answer. Looks like you can buy AT&T SIM cards at the AT&T site for $5.95... then add a 200mb data only plan for $15/mo. I think that's all I'd need (if that), basically able to check and send email from anywhere. Anyone know how much data Google Navigation would take to use? I have a cheap VM phone plan, so I have no need for voice service, but data on 3G would be nice. Please report if yours works and how much usage you use.

szingman

Nov 18, 2010
I Picked mine up tonight from BB in Vero Beach Fl. Dropped my AT&T 3G SIM in it, set the APN and REBOOTED.
Came up no problem. Made a few voice calls, setup email account installed Pandora. So far, I LOVE THIS THING!

Let the fun begin,
Steve

nurse_gal

Nov 15, 2010
I was ready to return my S7 because I couldn't get my prepaid AT&T sim to work. I did a factory reset and tried one last time, it worked. The data connections (3G & wifi) seems to time out quickly if not in use.

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
I Picked mine up tonight from BB in Vero Beach Fl. Dropped my AT&T 3G SIM in it, set the APN and REBOOTED.
Came up no problem. Made a few voice calls, setup email account installed Pandora. So far, I LOVE THIS THING!

Let the fun begin,
Steve

great news, that means that it should eventually work for all of us; r u on 2G or 3G? did u configure settings to automatic or 2G or 3G?

I was ready to return my S7 because I couldn't get my prepaid AT&T sim to work. I did a factory reset and tried one last time, it worked. The data connections (3G & wifi) seems to time out quickly if not in use.

ok, so u ARE able to connect finally? albeit for a short time but...??

nurse_gal

Nov 15, 2010
yes, able to connect with 3G, but connection seems slow and unstable. it may just be my unit though, i don't know if others have experienced the data dropping out. :(

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
yes, able to connect with 3G, but connection seems slow and unstable. it may just be my unit though, i don't know if others have experienced the data dropping out. :(

did u try the sim in another phone to see if its a problem in the area?

I selected AT&T 3G. SpeedTest.net is reporting 2.0 down and 1.3 up.

decent speeds; i wish i could get the config down pat...:(

nurse_gal

Nov 15, 2010
i don't have another phone to test it with. i'm in New York City so i would think there should be network coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.