Huawei - Ideos 7" Tablet S7 Just showed up on Best Buy's site

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
i don't have another phone to test it with. i'm in New York City so i would think there should be network coverage.

OK, good news, finally got it working...:) i had left the config on GSM, not on automatic (WCDMA); and as soon as i did that it worked.

thanks to all for your insight, @nurse gal, not to worry, we shall work on it together if u want and make sure it works...:)

Last edited by a moderator:

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
^thanks, I am now going to try to get some reading so i can load some programmes; root, configure then add progs..!!

NEXT challenge is to get video calling working...!!

nrage23

Nov 8, 2010
I have tried all of these still no data with AT&T. Should return again and pray the third time is the charm???

TheVicster

Nov 14, 2010
I have tried all of these still no data with AT&T. Should return again and pray the third time is the charm???
I'm not saying it's not possible that you couldn't have gotten multiple bad units, it just seems very unlikely. Are you SURE it's not user error?

fishy

Aug 2, 2010
nlovejr,

Did you ever figure this out? I hit the menu button after rockplayer is open and then goto settings. Go to rootfolder (I think) and it will say /sdcard. I just cleared that and then I could navigate to either internal or external card.

nrage23

Nov 8, 2010
I'm not saying it's not possible that you couldn't have gotten multiple bad units, it just seems very unlikely. Are you SURE it's not user error?
Quite sure it is not user error. The only thing that bugs me is my plan for my sim is for data only and the lady with AT&T said that I should not have to do anything with the APN. I even factory reset it this morning and input the APN settings with no luck. Also apparently skanksv had to get third one before he got AT&T data working.

ckew

Nov 19, 2010
Hello, this is my first post here but I've been watching the progress here before I finally decided to go pick one up since all the APN settings were posted. Thanks for whoever did that by the way. Anyway, I got to best buy and read their pamphlet which mentions nothing at all about phone capabilities. A salesman who probably can't tie shoes came and asked if I needed help. I asked him to see the box these come in ans said I wanted to check on the box of about phone use and 3G. He told me there was no reason to even look because there were no phone capabilities. I told him I disagreed after a bunch of research. he said the sales team had been extensively trained about the S7 and I was wrong. I asked again and he finally took one out and I looked at the box, saw the S7-104 sticker and told him that these have phone capabilities if you can change some settings. He basically told me I was a moron. I asked for another salesperson and bought it from them. Got home, took my AT&T sim out of my Nokia n97 mini and put it in, placed the battery inside, turned it on and the screen opened with a big AT&T logo on top. I immediately found the phone option and called my wife, worked perfectly right out of the box, didn't even have to do the APN changes. My next call to to Best Buy, asked for the mobile phone section, then asked for the guy who had just sold an S7. I simply told him that I was really happy with the call quality and perhaps he should go through the training program again. I'm a really nice person, but this guy was so rude with the way he treateed me like I had no idea what I was talking about that I couldn't help it. Sorry for the long story. brief story: ATT 3G data and phone right out of the box, no problems, no settings changes, love this thing for the money.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
CKEW -good for you! Welcome to being in the bleeding edge of technology, expect that you are already ahead of the curve! ;-)

szingman

Nov 18, 2010
I think there is some confusion regarding the APN settings.
You do not need to change APN for voice calls. The APN settings are ONLY for Internet data access. For a regular voice call, APN has no purpose.

Hope this helps.
Steve

nurse_gal

Nov 15, 2010
^thanks, I am now going to try to get some reading so i can load some programmes; root, configure then add progs..!!

NEXT challenge is to get video calling working...!!

has anyone had luck using the front facing camera for video calling?

keebz

Nov 4, 2010
This thing has me salivating for all the goodies it has and the mods that can be achieved. Huge plus of this thing is data/calls.. Im gonna pick up this bad boy for my trip to India next month, since there are tons of GSM providers in india i might just get a SIM card and use it to make calls back to US.

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
This thing has me salivating for all the goodies it has and the mods that can be achieved. Huge plus of this thing is data/calls.. Im gonna pick up this bad boy for my trip to India next month, since there are tons of GSM providers in india i might just get a SIM card and use it to make calls back to US.

BB Huawei S7 for 270$ until 11/22/2010 only YMMV (11/28 for Premier)

Apparently the following BB Rewards coupon worked for the S7; bringing the cost down from 299 to 270$;

a great price for a great tablet; here are the links for the coupon(s);

Via Slickdeals.net;

Regular Silver Member - 11/17/10 ~ 11/22/10

http://image.emailinfo2.bestbuy.com/...oupons_BBY.pdf

Best Buy

Premier Silver Member - 11/17/10 ~ 11/28/10, excluding 11/26/10
Best Buy

tcat

Nov 17, 2010
Thanks for the heads up. Wonder if black Friday deals will be any better than 10% off. Anyone tried Mapdroid or CoPilot for GPS without a SIM card? If you have the maps on the SD card, I assume the built in GPS will work off them, so no need for WiFi or 3G. Can anyone confirm this? It seems the kickstand on this would be ideal for draping over your visor while driving.:cool:

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
^you never know regarding BF deals but from all the ads taht i have already seen, not many tablets have gone on sale with the exception of Galaxy but thats a whole new price range;

on another note tablets have been going down in price in general and features are being added so the longer u wait the more u will eventually have..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.