Huawei S7 - connecting USB external hard disc or flash memory

Justas

Dec 12, 2010
Hi,

Is it possible to connect to Huawei S7 external USB memory (expl. WD passport 320GB)? Should I look for some adapter for USB port?

Thank you!
Justas

Koets

Dec 12, 2010
Wired i am not sure as i dont own one, but through wifi it should be possible, connect to yr pc, (wired or wireless) or to yr router (or nas directly) through wifi, and look up yr hdd.

alternativlely, mostly you can buy usb connectors for ext HDD's (but as i said.. not sure)

Justas

Dec 12, 2010
Thanks Koets. The thing is that I want to have this memory connected to HS7 withought PC. I am planning to travell and I would like to take my films and other stuff with this WD passport 320GB.
I think it should be possible. I saw in one of the videos that Huawei had a stand for HS7 with USB connections for storage. I do not know if it is commercially available, but that shows possibility. Anyway USB port is in place. the question is only if some adapter is available in shops and if SW can support this.

KE4NYV

Dec 5, 2010
I read a rumor somewhere that the mini USB port on the S7 MIGHT serve as a host port, with some kind of dongle adapter, breaking out to a USB A female socket. I would love to get some kind of confirmation on this and if so, if the adapters are in the works. That would really make what you want to do easy. Plus, you (and the rest of us) could avoid having to haul a dock with us everywhere we go, just to have the USB host connection.

I would like to do something similar to what you described, only I would probaly use hi-capacity USB thumb drives in lieu of a full USB backup drive.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
The sometimes seen docking station shows external USB ports so should support external mass storage, but don't ask me where you get one. The dock is connected via the bottom expansion port.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

Joshua

Nov 28, 2010
No go on USB host. I had an adapter (micro USB to USB host) I used with my Archos 7HT.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
I have a new Nokia phone which supports USB OTG (On The Go) and allows the phone to be used as a host to enable reading of attached mass storage devices. This includes thumb drives and hard drives (when eternaly powered).
Unfortunately the S7 does not support this feature and the USB OTG adapter cable will not fit into the micro USB port as the plug configuration is non standard micro USB.
The bus on the bottom of the S7 does allow this with the correct connector, but, as I said, they are like hen's teeth!

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I would love that too, even if I had to connect an adapter to the dock port. That's because the biggest reason I got a tablet is to capture video or photos while driving in the car, and I don't really like having a laptop with a spinning HDD while bumping down rural roads.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
OK some more info on this.
The S7 may be able to do this through the USB port!
It seems that it could be OS dependant and just require 2.2 and and a correctly wired cable. Manufacturers use their own cables for this purpose. I just found out that my 6 year old iRiver H340 hard drive MP3 player supports this!??????

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Depends on whether or not the port is powered. We should be able to enable support through a custom kernel...

heyuuuu

Jan 30, 2011
You can use ES File Explorer from market (it's free)
menu > New > LAN > Server

Attachments

• $screenshot.jpg
    $screenshot.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,973
Last edited:

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Well... Considering that the S7 "doesn't have GPS reception" I'd believe that somehow you might be able to charge (at a low rate) through the USB port, like someof the other undocumented stuff we are finding. Someone will figure it out soon, probably. I just wish they put in the mini-USB plug instead, because I'm sure I'll try to fore mine in the wrong way one day.

Last edited: