Huawei S7 - connecting USB external hard disc or flash memory

sakalsk

Sep 23, 2011
If i cannot see after connecting usb disk to S7 anything in : dmesg , i have wrong cable? Or where can be problem ? I cannot see my USB :(

gotwake

Sep 11, 2011
If i cannot see after connecting usb disk to S7 anything in : dmesg , i have wrong cable? Or where can be problem ? I cannot see my USB :(

did you get an OTG specific cable? if not, that is why it does not see the USB disk. the OTG cables connect two pins (4 and 5) together. no cables other than OTG have them connected. page 5 of this thread has more info about that.

drdatavault

Apr 30, 2011
I have a new Nokia phone which supports USB OTG (On The Go) and allows the phone to be used as a host to enable reading of attached mass storage devices. This includes thumb drives and hard drives (when eternaly powered).
Unfortunately the S7 does not support this feature and the USB OTG adapter cable will not fit into the micro USB port as the plug configuration is non standard micro USB.
The bus on the bottom of the S7 does allow this with the correct connector, but, as I said, they are like hen's teeth!

hi I'm not sure where we are on this thread but just so u all know I got external usb hdd,flash usb mounted and keyboard working:)

dirkhimself

Nov 11, 2011
Hi guys,

I have:

- S7 - 103 with TriZet rom
- an OTG cable
- 16GB USB stick
- 2TB external USB HDD (NTFS formatted)

USB stick is recognized, external HDD is also recognized, but system says BLANK UDISK, while actually it's almost fully loaded with files.

So, I can play movies from stick, but not from HDD.

Why? Anyone?

Last edited:

Zardoc54

May 16, 2011
I would love to be able to carry a dock around for my HS7 if only I could find one.

I read a rumor somewhere that the mini USB port on the S7 MIGHT serve as a host port, with some kind of dongle adapter, breaking out to a USB A female socket. I would love to get some kind of confirmation on this and if so, if the adapters are in the works. That would really make what you want to do easy. Plus, you (and the rest of us) could avoid having to haul a dock with us everywhere we go, just to have the USB host connection.

I would like to do something similar to what you described, only I would probaly use hi-capacity USB thumb drives in lieu of a full USB backup drive.