Huawei S7 Useful Tweaks and Tips

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Huawei S7 Useful Tweaks and Tips
This is intended to be a sticky for the most common tweaks for the Huawei S7. This should be maintained by moderators to keep track of the most useful tweaks and tips for the device. We have gotten off track on this thread and have a lot of responses not specific to the purpose, I apologize for that. Moving forward I will make sure that items not appropriate and specifically on point get moved or deleted, it is not personal I am just trying to maximize signal to noise.

Try to give credit where it's due, if you have a tip, tweak, answer that you got from somewhere else be sure to credit the originator...

Last modified Apr 2 2011 – Traversed thread and brought all actual tips and tweaks here. - pb

Common Tasks

Connect to PC
no special drivers are needed for Win7 and Vista PCs. Simply hook your S7 to your PC via USB and tap on the flashing notifications icon in the upper right corner of the screen (the "I" superimposed on the overlapping dual windows - as best as I can describe it). That will take you to the notifications screen where you can mount/unmount your internal (8GB if installed) and external (user supplied) SD card storage drives as mass storage devices (lettered drives) to your PC to enable drag and drop file transfers for data, music, video, doc, and whatever you want to put on your tab.
credit for writeup to vferrari

Obtain Root
Credit: grenness
Use UniversalAndRoot.apk. Install and run it to be rooted:
http://bit.ly/aa4jxJ

**Different Option
Use z4root. Install and run it to gain root.

The easiest way to gain shell root via adb is using SuperOneClick. This allows you to gain access to adb remount, and a root shell via adb shell.

How to Reflash your Tablet using just a microSD
See also http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/huawei-tablets/5861-your-first-day-newbie-s7-guide.html
Follow the instructions to unzip the files to a folder on your sd, but DO NOT COPY once.cfg if asked.

Copy the files UPDATA.APP, and unlmt.cfg to a folder named /dload

Restart your device, and the firmware update should flash automatically. When the firmware update is finished, remove the microSD card. You will need to remove the battery and reinsert it to restart the device.

How to Reflash your Tablet from a PC
ebarcus-albums-day-one-rooted-s7-born-picture784-loading-build-60-singapore-href-http-www-huaweidevice-com-worldwide-downloadcenter-do-method-downloadfile-flay-software-filename-37891-attachmentname-s7v100r001c60b011-zip-link.jpg

Flashing the BestBuy version to the Singapore ROM enables CPU clocking up to 998MHz from the default 768MHz, and 4-way screen rotation.

1. Put S7 into update mode by (when powered off, hold down SEND key and BACK key and press power on, the white horizontal line will show)

2. download update tool and firmware from Huawei S7 firmware
(the update tool will look for the .app and .xml file, respectively)

download and install the driver for your version of PC (will need or the update tool will not proceed)
http://www.huaweidevice.com/tcpsdown...=usbdriver.rar

3. Connect your S7 using USB to your PC and follow the instruction on screen and flash

Perform a Factory Reset
Via ADB:
1. connect your device
2. type adb shell reboot recovery

Via Terminal Emulator on Device
1. open Terminal Emulator
2. type su
3. at the # type reboot recovery

If you have Clockworkmod recovery installed, you must manually select wipe data/factory reset from the recovery menus.

This should perform a factory reset. - Thanks to Razor950 for pointing this out

Mount SD Card in device to a connected computer through USB
See http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/huawei-tablets/huawei-tablets/huawei-tablets/huawei-tablets/huawei-tablets/huawei-tablets/huawei-tablets/huawei-tablets/huawei-tablets/huawei-tablets/...html#post13086

Safe Mode
Power off device, press and hold track pad and press power button. Continue to hold trackpad button until bootup completes. You can now uninstall problematic files or applications.
Credit: JustDroid

Fastboot Mode
Power off device, and hold both volume buttons followed by the power button.

Correct Mount Location for Internal SDCard
The mount point for the external SDCard is SDCARD2, not SDCARD. SDCARD is the mountpoint for the internal storage.
xda: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=13

Allow Launcher (Home Screen) Rotation
Install ADWLauncher or LauncherPro, or a alternative launcher supporting rotation of the Home Screen.

Allow Widgets on Alternate Launchers (Home Screen)
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-work-fine-over-here-my-s7-adw-launcher.html and http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...gets-corrected-notification-bar-new-post.html

Data Services

Confirmed 3G data and phone services: AT&T, Rogers (Canada), Fido (Canada)

Get it to work on AT&T for Data Services
With the simcard inserted, enter the following APN settings (Go to Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks. Use the Menu key to modify entries), and reboot the device:
Quote:
Port: leave blank
Username:[email protected]
Password:CINGULAR1
Server: leave blank
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS Port: 80
MCC:310
MNC:410
APN Type: leave blank
**If you have a Data only plan

APN Name: AT&T
APN: broadband (all lowercase per AT&T)
MMC: 310
MNC: 410

EddieS7 has written a nice step-by-step on setting this up:

I can only vouch for this working on an S7-104 in North East US using a contract AT&T SIM with a Voice and Data plan.

The steps are:
1- Root S7
2- With SIM card out of the S7, shut down and turn back on (use the power button, do not just yank the battery)
3- When the S7 is on, set the "Network Mode" to "GSM only"
4- Turn phone off (power button)
5- Insert SIM
6- Turn S7 on
-- At this point you should have phone service --
7-Go to GSM/UMTS options -> APN and create the AT&T APN as follows:
Name: AT&T
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: leave blank
Port: leave blank
Username:[email protected]
Password:CINGULAR1
Server: leave blank
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS Port: 80
MCC:310
MNC:410
APN Type: leave blank

- Remember to do a save of the APN not just back arrow or exit.

8 -Turn off S7
9 -Turn on S7

-- You should now have Phone and Data (Edge)--

Fido Access Point Settings

* APN: fido-core-appl1.apn
* Proxy: <not set>
* Port: <not set>
* Username: <not set>
* Password: <not set>
* Server: <not set>
* MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca
* MMS Proxy: 205.151.11.13
* MMS Port: 80
* MCC: 302 (retrieved from SIM)
* MNC: 370 (retrieved from SIM).
* Authentication type: <not set>
* APN type: <not set>

RogersAccess Point Settings

* APN: internet.com
* Username: wapuser1
* Password: wap

Other Tweaks (apps or settings that improve performance or usability):

Other apps
Memory Booster Lite - improve memory usage/control
Battery Booster Lite - improve battery performance
Advanced Task Killer Pro - granular control over running applications
Launcher Pro (Home Screen), ADW Launcher - alternative launchers
Android System Info - provides detailed information about device and running apps and services
LCD Density - modify display pixel density

Optimize Memory Usage
Requires root
Install and run AutoKiller to apply 'Optimum' setting on boot. Do not enable anything else.
AndRS Studio
This tweak limits the amount of apps you can keep in memory, but frees up more for normal use. Depending on how you use your device, it may or may not be a good tweak

Last edited by a moderator:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Memory Booster Lite
Battery Booster Lite
Advanced Task Killer Pro
Launcher Pro (Home Screen)

Does the trick on everything I've tested.
It might be less than 200MB free. Like 140MB to 90MB or less

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Android System Info - provides a plethora of information on your specific device as well as all of the applications installed. Very useful when you have questions about something specific with your system or to answer technical questions regarding platform, build, etc.

Available from Android Market - search for Android System Info

TheVicster

Nov 14, 2010
As to the SD cards, on my S7 the internal SD card is identified "Internal SD Card", the external SD card is identified "SD Card".

Firmware is 2.1-update 1. , so I'm assuming the confusion surrounding the mounting and location of the internal and external sd cards has been addressed with this build

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Yes, the versions shipping now are clearer about SD cards.

nrage23

Nov 8, 2010
This is intended to be a sticky for the most common tweaks for the Huawei S7. This should be maintained by moderators to keep track of the most useful tweaks and tips for the device.

Try to give credit where it's due...

Last modified Nov 14 2010

Obtain Root
Credit: grenness
Use UniversalAndRoot.apk. Install and run it to be rooted:
http://bit.ly/aa4jxJ

Optimize Memory Usage
Requires root
Install and run AutoKiller to apply 'Optimum' setting on boot. Do not enable anything else.
AndRS Studio

Correct Mount Location for Internal SDCard
The mount point for the external SDCard is SDCARD2, not SDCARD. SDCARD is the mountpoint for the internal storage.
xda: xda-developers - View Single Post - Anyone else with a Huawei S7 tablet here?

Launcher Rotation
Install ADWLauncher or LauncherPro, or a alternative launcher supporting rotation of the Home Screen.

Mount SD Card in device to a connected computer through USB
See http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ards-through-usb-win7-computer.html#post13086
Get it to work on AT&T for Data Services
With the simcard inserted, enter the following APN settings (Go to Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks. Use the Menu key to modify entries), and reboot the device:
Would the APN settings be different if I had a data only setup? I cannot get the data to work. I got an AT&T sim and a pay as you go data plan as a backup for when I do not have my MiFi around. I have taken one unit back and tried a new one with no luck as yet.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Impove LCD Display Quality Tweak
Since Eclair is not really optimized for the tablet, there are some items that can be tweaked for the greater real estate. One of these is LCD Density, try downloading LCD Density Changer from the Market and play with the settings. I am at 140 and it looks great! - thanks to the group over at xda-developers for the tip!

shanksv

Nov 13, 2010
As to the SD cards, on my S7 the internal SD card is identified "Internal SD Card", the external SD card is identified "SD Card"......

Interesting, I have the same version and it is mounted as SDCARD and SDCARD2. The only place it shows otherwise is when connected to USB and you click on the little information icon on the right hand top corner. Both Android System Info and Astro show it as SDCARD and SDCARD2.

TheVicster

Nov 14, 2010
Interesting, I have the same version and it is mounted as SDCARD and SDCARD2. The only place it shows otherwise is when connected to USB and you click on the little information icon on the right hand top corner. Both Android System Info and Astro show it as SDCARD and SDCARD2.
Go into the settings menu and look under SD card and tablet storage. What does it show there?

shanksv

Nov 13, 2010
yep you are right. Not sure if all the apps see it that way thought. For eg. Aldiko only sees books in the internal card. Some programs do for eg. Mixzing and TuneWiki so I don't know.

JustDroid

Oct 27, 2010
Safe Mode
If you get stuck in a force close loop, you can reboot your S7 in to the Android Safe Mode. To get to Safe Mode, power off the device, the press and hold the Track pad and press the Power button. Continue to hold the Track Pad until the system boots. It will say Safe Mode in the lower left corner. Safe Mode will load the default launcher. Once in Safe Mode, you can uninstall the app causing the force close loop. Then shut down and restart normally.

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Safe Mode
If you get stuck in a force close loop, you can reboot your S7 in to the Android Safe Mode. To get to Safe Mode, power off the device, the press and hold the Track pad and press the Power button. Continue to hold the Track Pad until the system boots. It will say Safe Mode in the lower left corner. Safe Mode will load the default launcher. Once in Safe Mode, you can uninstall the app causing the force close loop. Then shut down and restart normally.

Excellent find! Thanks for sharing!

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
^after reading that the S7 works on at&t 3G i purchased a S7; tried to replicate the above settings with FIDO settings but cannot connect; i DO see the network, i DO have full bars but something seems to be out of sync; any ideas out there?

would appreciate your help pls.

MSG to MODS: pls move if not right thread (did start a dif thread but no luck, figured this thread may increase responses)
PS: these r the settings i am using via howardforums;

From Rogers blog... Rogers RedBoard » Nexus One

Fido Access Point Settings

* APN: fido-core-appl1.apn
* Username: <not set>
* Password: <not set>
* Server: <not set>
* MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca
* MMS Proxy: 205.151.11.13
* MMS Port: 80
* MCC: 302 (retrieved from SIM)
* MNC: 370 (retrieved from SIM).
* Authentication type: <not set>
* APN type: <not set>

jon

Nov 18, 2010
I'm not even showing bars. I see AT&T but no bars. I'm not having a whole lot of luck with my S7 so far, although I still like it.