I have just purchased Samsung Galaxy Tab!!

Jayne

Nov 7, 2010
Hi, I have just go the tab and think it is really good! I like Android and this makes full use of it. A lot of nice features.... the only thing I cannot work out or find is how to update the software if a new version is ever released..... anyone have any ideas? It is not in the settings as you would expect..

Jayne

klown07

Aug 27, 2010
Wow, cool I'm jealous lol. Where are you from? Where did you get it? For how much?

austhorpe

Nov 9, 2010
Hi all, new to the forum.

I purchased one on Friday, I am based in the UK they went on sale here last Wednesday, purchased for £499 and it is not locked to a network so I have ordered a sim from 3 mobile which gives 1gb of use for £5 per month on a rolling contract. Also the UK version can be used as a phone, not that I need that as I have an iPhone.

First impressions, and firstly let me say I am not loyal to one brand, I have an iPhone, a Mac and Windows machines, this however is my first foray into the world of Android and Samsung. The device looks really good, very professional finish and solid, the screen is good but I would not say the colours are wow. For me the whole experience is not as polished as an iPad and I knew it would not be, it is different to an iPad for example not being tied to bloody iTunes as great, just been able to mount the device and drop files on is a joy. However this does have a flip side, when apple bring a product to market the whole background functionality is in place, for example movie rentals, books, music. Here you have to relay any many multiple sources and it feels stitched together, for example Samsung Movies, Amazon for MP3, Android Market for Apps, Samsung Apps, for Apps, KOBO for Books. You get my drift, apple is a much more seamless offering, you use your one apple id and password for everything and it feels joined up.
The above is not a criticism of the device per se more the world around it, getting back to the device the processor appears adequate and the touch screen is great, also the inclusion of flash is brilliant. One thing that has pissed me off and related to the points above is some of the functions around newspaper and magazine reading is not yet live, this is one of the reasons I bought the thing, here in the UK we have a book seller called WH Smith apparently Samsung have signed an agreement with them to bring books to the tab, I have read the official statement yet no sign of it.
Apps - a key selling point these days, one thing I have noticed even though the market has a lot of apps they do not rival the app store, I dont know about the US but what I have noticed is that the app store has far more apps from established companies, also the samsung app place specifically for the tab has 2 apps, yes two!! Putting videos on the device is a bit of a lottery, I dropped three files onto the device, one .wmv, another xvid and the third m2ts, none of them have worked so far which is a bit worrying. Battery life is decent enough.
The web experience for me is where this thing excels, the screen is good and as I said before flash is great, tap and pinch to zoom work as described although not as well as iphone and pad.

The comment made by Steve Jobs that these tablets will be "dead on arrival" is it fair, well kind of actually, the hardware is fantastic but the software is not when comparing to the apple products, the OS at a high level is fine but is let down by some of the points above, also Samsung should make sure they have the full service offering ready to go before these things hit the shelves.

Any questions please ask

mindwave

Jul 6, 2010
I certainly an see the desireability of having all your apps in one basket as it would "appear" seamless, much like microsofy IE on a windows PC or ILIVE on a MAC, but for ME (a full time linux user) I MUCH prefer the open endedness of the various applications, rather than being tied down.

for example, at work I ahve to use a winXP pc, BUT my browser of choice is Firefox, I only use IE for my timecard (it has been programmed NOT to recognize anything else-lazy programming)

But again, thats why the whole I/everything has never held any attraction, your glued to one HW manufacturer and one SW developer, regardless.

even in android, there are some folks who SWEAR by skyfire and yet that is NOT the default browser......

Jayne

Nov 7, 2010
Hi, thanks for the reply. I know the carrier will let us know if an update is available but on Android phones there is an option to search for updates in 'settings' this does not appear to be on the Tab.

I also have the apple ipad and do like it, but also like the samsung tab, in my mind is different enough to have both and use both. I do like the size of the tab better as a lot easier to hold.

I paid £499 with £10 per rolling month for 1gb data with Talk Mobile at Carphonewarehouse. It is expensive but what isnt these days!

Anyone else got one? if so give us your views

Jayne

right

Nov 9, 2010
Had mine two days, fitted it immediately with my 16gb memory card and took back the case (very poor fitting obscuring touch screen use and the stand was unstable). It's the perfect solution for me because I'm fed up with the tiny screens on smart phones and I needed a tablet device is well.

Its a beautiful device however either mine is faulty or perhaps they released it too soon. Internet browsing is jerky, the screen is quite unresponsive at times and I've experienced many forced closes.

rm2092

Oct 11, 2010
Hmmm Ill keep reading, I also have the iPad with the HTC EVO witch I think is a great combo for tether but still on the fence on getting another tablet ?

Oct 2, 2010
I just got back from the T mobile store a little while ago. I had no intentions of buying this tablet when I went there.

But, It's really an awesome tablet! I bought it for 599. And got a discount and a waived activation free so I paid 649. for the tablet and the $50. leather folio case.

But. It's kind of large, and not as easy to use as my Streak. I wear mens size large gloves and this is a stretch to hold in one hand. At least I have a month to play with the thing, and if I still don't like it can return it for a $10 restocking fee.

Oh, forgot to mention that if the browser is laggy just set it to flash on demand and it's fine. Also, it's slower than crap on 3g. Forget playing videos or accessing Market on 3g.

Last edited:

klown07

Aug 27, 2010
Got my tablet yesterday too. I love it and so does my wife! She's not a gadget person.

specmac

Oct 19, 2010
Also, it's slower than crap on 3g. Forget playing videos or accessing Market on 3g.

I've noticed that at my house, but when I'm at work it is very snappy and fast. Streams my slingbox just fine. Checked the Settings>About Tablet>Status and the Network type is "Edge" when I'm at my house and HSPDA at work. Signal strength is fine at both, just don't have HSPDA access where I live. The icon on the status bar shows 3G for both. So the network speed really depends on your location at the time. I'm Verizon on my phones and never had this problem. I'm told this is typical of Tmo's network in my area (spotty HSPDA coverage).

fishstick600

Jul 26, 2010
I just ordered one from Verizon I wonder how long it will take before it gets here. Btw was wondering if I added it to my plan right. All I did was add a new line instead of the family plans...was that what I was supposed to do?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

LouCap

Nov 13, 2010
I picked up my Galaxy Tab at T-Mobile yesterday, and I love it. Very fast, great screen and just fun to use. I have an HTC EVO, so the Samsung interface is taking some time to get used to, but overall a great user experience. I got mine with the 2 year contract, which I think is a good deal, only $399 for the tab and $39.99/month for the data plan. You get 5 GB/month with no overage fees, the data rate might slow down if you exceed your alloted data...we'll see how that goes.

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Tapatalk