ICS on Transformer

jtsauburn

Sep 15, 2011
I just upgraded my transformer 101 to ICS and I hate it. Everything runs significantly slower, programs keep crashing. Terrible!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
jtsauburn said:
I just upgraded my transformer 101 to ICS and I hate it. Everything runs significantly slower, programs keep crashing. Terrible!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

You probably have something installed that isn't compatible with ICS, probably something that runs in the background like a widget. One thing I did after upgrading was to make sure I am running the latest version of all my apps.

satai

Oct 4, 2011
Got mine yesterday and upgrade went fine on my non rooted transformer 101, afterwards google+ kept crashing but afer i updated all apps it's okay now.
The only thing that's annoying it's the lousy playback i get when playing 720P 60 fps videos. (it's not smooth (like it's buffering)) on mobo and MX video players.

anyway i'm happy with the ics.

ashokkn

Nov 10, 2011
I did upgrade my TF01 to ICS last eve and since then started encountering many problems as listed below. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

1. Overall, the device is very sluggish especially navigating in the settings app
2. Google+ kept crashing every now and then. Even market update for G+ does not seem to help so I had to disable the app
3. Facebook app now carrying an Android icon and is very slow even with a 7 mbps connection
4. Video playback has totally gone for a toss. The device struggles to run mkv and mp4 files
5. Home screen control panel doesn’t seem to respond at times

chadzo

May 31, 2011
It was really unstable after the upgrade and very slow despite numerous hard resets.

In end I bit the bullet and did a factory reset. I've installed most of my old apps (excluding Touchdown which I no longer need, thank you very much google) and everything is great.

I hate to say it, but it's reminicient of Windows. Fresh installs always work better than upgrades. yeesh. I am really happy with the result though. It's much faster and Chrome screams compared to the other browsers I've tried.

Still can't force it to prompt for a wifi password though! Pet peeve.

I did upgrade my TF01 to ICS last eve and since then started encountering many problems as listed below. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

1. Overall, the device is very sluggish especially navigating in the settings app
2. Google+ kept crashing every now and then. Even market update for G+ does not seem to help so I had to disable the app
3. Facebook app now carrying an Android icon and is very slow even with a 7 mbps connection
4. Video playback has totally gone for a toss. The device struggles to run mkv and mp4 files
5. Home screen control panel doesn’t seem to respond at times

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Say... if I don't like ICS. Is there a way to go back to the previous firmware?

Yes, but it involves rooting. Depending on your serial number there are a few ways to do it.

Honestly, most users (myself included) tend to like the upgrade. Most users who are having performance issues it is due to apps. Best to do a factory reset before (or after) upgrading. Be sure to back up your data and your apps.

jimbro

Feb 18, 2012
My TF101 should be arriving tomorrow
Would I be better to do the ICS upgrade before installiong any apps?

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011

I would upgrade first. Then do a factory data reset and start completely fresh with an ICS installation.

Be sure to plug it in and give it the 8 hour charge. It will turn on when you plug it in and feel free to use it while it is plugged in. You have to use the wall charger and included cable. A USB extension cable may not work unless it is a USB 3.0 cable.

Weebee

Dec 1, 2011

I would say yes. That way when you're downloading apps after you go to ICS you should be able to tell right away if there is a compatibility issue.

DanPackMan

Mar 1, 2012
I would upgrade first. Then do a factory data reset and start completely fresh with an ICS installation.

I should recieve my TF101 any day now. Your statement confuses me.. Upgrade, then factory reset, then upgrade? Is the first upgrade required, why not just a factory reset then an ICS upgrade?

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I should recieve my TF101 any day now. Your statement confuses me.. Upgrade, then factory reset, then upgrade? Is the first upgrade required, why not just a factory reset then an ICS upgrade?

To get the upgrade you will have to log into your device and connect to the internet.

Also, some users have had issues with the update to ICS (may be few and far between) but a factory reset AFTER the update (which does not uninstall the update, it just puts it to a new out of the box if it shipped with ICS) can help solve some of the issues.

You can try it without doing the factory reset, but if there are issues you may want to do the reset.