Ideos S7 / Telstra T-Touch Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Making this the merge point for messages that have not been modified in >30 days in order to make the forum easier to use.

For any that are interested, this is the Huawei S7, just rebranded by Telstra in Australia. Any users have one of these?

Last edited:

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
^from what i read on the web it is the same product; with some software mods as requested by carrier;

419guy

Nov 17, 2010
I am interested in a tablet with phone funtionality with no contract, just pop in your sim. These are the two current contenders (when the Viewpad 7 becomes available). I am not as tech savvy as the rest of you, so which is the better buy? From what I've gathered, the Viewpad 7 has the better capacitive screen, but the Huawei has the faster processor. Your thoughts?

Viewsonic Viewpad 7 vs Huawei S7

Viewsonic Viewpad 7 (not yet released)
CORE
CPU Processor Type ARM11
CPU Processor Speed 600MHz
Chipset Qualcomm MSM7227
OPERATING SYSTEM
3.5G Android 2.2
MEMORY
Flash 512MB NAND Flash and micro SD expandability up to 32GB
Internal 512MB
DISPLAY
Type 7" capacitive multi-touch LCD screen type screen with 800x480 WVGA resolution
Contrast Ratio 500:1
Brightness (nits) 350 cd/m2
CONNECTIVITY
Wi-Fi 802.11b/g
Bluetooth Bluetooth 2.1+ EDR
Communication 3G and assisted GPS
FORMAT SUPPORT
eReader TXT, HTML, EPUB, PDF, Office
MULTIMEDIA
Speakers Integrated
Microphone Integrated
CAMERA
Front 0.3 megapixel camera
Back 3 megapixel auto focus
SENSOR
Types G-Sensor, E-Compass sensor and ambient light sensor
INPUT/OUTPUT
Ports 3.5mm audio jack for stereo headset, mini-USB connector
Card micro SD card slot and SIM slot
DIMENSIONS (WxHxD)
Physical 7.06" x 4.33" x 0.45" (179.4mm x 110mm x 11.5mm)
Packaging 10" x 7.2" x 3.5" (294mm x 183mm x 89mm)
BATTERY
Type Li-Polymer, 3240mAH
Life (approx) 4–6 hrs (heavy, continuous use) 600 hrs standby
PACKAGE CONTENTS
ViewPad 7, charger, leatherette cover, USB cable, earphones, QSG

Suggested Price: $479-$599? (The rep in the video said they could sell for $399, Amazon.com has it listed for $599)

Viewsonic » ViewPad 7

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-7-Inch- ... B004ALMF6C

Huawei Ideos Tablet S7
• Display: 7" TFT touch screen, 800x480
• Wireless: HSDPA: up to 7.2 Mbit/s; HSUPA: up to 5.76 Mbit/s; WiFi 802.11b/g/n
• I/0: USIM card socket; SD card slot; Micro USB; 3.5mm stereo audio jack; Stereo speakers
• Buttons: Touch sensor button; Power on/off, volume up/down, navigator, home, back, menu, call send/down
• Other: Gravity sensor
• Battery: Li-ION 2200mAh
• Web2.0
• H.264, MPEG4 (720P)
• MP3 , PCM, AMR, AAC
• JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIFF, TIFF
• Widget
Price $299 at Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Huawei+-+Id ... &st=hauwei s7&contract_desc=null

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/p ... treeId=588

Last edited by a moderator:

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
Using the following setting but no luck so far; any ideas out there would be appreciated.

Internet

Name: Fido Internet
APN: internet.fido.ca
Proxy: 205.151.11.11
Username: fido
Password: fido
MCC: 302
MCN: 370

MMS

Name: Fido MMS
APN: mms.fido.ca
MMSC: htp://mms.fido.ca
MMS Proxy: 205.151.11.13
MMS Port: 8080 (still needs to be confirmed, I didn't want to test too much without unlimited MMS)
Username: fido
Password: fido
MCC: 302
MCN: 370
APN Type: mms

Android - HTC Dream/Magic - Fido APN/MMS Settings - xda-developers

TheVicster

Nov 14, 2010
all the tech blogs I've seen shown the Viewsonic originally announced with a MSRP of either 499, or 479, not 399 as you state.

In any event at those prices the S7 is my choice, and I'd buy a Galaxy tab at 599 before I'd buy the Viewsonic at 499. My experience with Viewsonic is not positive.

ASL4U

Nov 18, 2010
I purchased the Huawei tablet last week and am very happy with it. I originally wanted the ViewSonic 7 - its a name I recognize and therefore trust a little bit more than Huawei (what's that? and how do you say it?)...but the price of the Huawei was great ($299.00) and I was going back and forth between $299 and waiting for Viewsonic's $479... and fretting over the differene... whats the difference?
but I considered: 1) I have no experience with android at all and the Huawei was there and available, and running a reasonably new version (ads say its supposed to be 2.2 - but I think mine is running 2.1)...
2) I wanted the phone capability - which Huawei has - Viewsonic was advertising that they had phone capability - but the Galaxy was supposed to have a phone too - and it was disabled before release because no deals could be had with the phone companys... (purely gossip - that)... and because Viewsonic was not released I was not sure I trusted them to actually have an unlocked phone.
3) while I want the phone capability, I didn't know whats its going to feel like carrying around such a large device (all my phones have been large - Nokia 9290 (the best phone I've ever had - and I really Miss it), Nokia E90...) but the tablet is not going to be riding around on my hip.. its going to have to be carried like a book - and I'm not sure how comfortable thats going to be (still trying to figure that out - because so far there are no cases that can be used to carry the Huawei... (notice the Viewsonic comes with one!... smart move that!) I'm going to try to make one for myself..)
4) and one of the reviews I saw said, unbelievably, that viewsonic does not have a user changeable battery - (I still dont know if thats true - but... did consider it when I was considering waiting or diving in with the Huawei)

I bought the Huawei, as I said, and I've been very happy with my decision hardware wise... the tablet works great! but I'm not able to use the device as my primary phone basically because I have found that android is functionaly incapable of doing what I need my phone to do...
I am still trying to learn android but here are some of the issues I'm trying to sort through: No cursor keys (huawei has a joystick pad kind of thing - but the programs in android dont expect it, so its not very useful...) No control keys - so you cannot select text, cut copy paste... (and if anyone out there knows better than me I'd be ever so grateful!)
There are menus you can get to (somehow) and I've found them accidently occasionally - but no good way to make it work - (find menu - somehow, choose "select text", get back to the text - and you should be able to select the text (most of the time it goes into choose mode but then there is no way to stop the selection - its very inelegant... and you have to get back to the menu in order to do anything with the selection - and yet doing anything on screen while you are in select text - is to select text... so ... I've still not been able to figure out how to get that whole system to work)
No help... there seems to be no directions for using android - what it can do - how to make it do this or that... things you do on your computer as a matter of course... frustrating.
The keyboard is apparently designed to use all but one line of the available screen space - so you cannot see the document you are writing - you can only see the immediate text you are writing - this is very uncomfortable... the operating system is obviously not a tool that has been designed for writing notes, or doing work when you are on the road... it just doesnt seem to be capable of business use... (very disappointing - and very frustrating)...
So I sit and flail about with the OS for a couple hours a day (and I'm ever so grateful I paid $299 -and not $479 (oh! wait! look!.. $FIVE 99...)
I will not be upgrading to the Viewsonic at that price... not considering the Huawei is Much more reasonably priced, and (if you like android) absolutely usable...
The phone itself has been very speedy, very reliable, and does everything its supposed to (so far as I know... being that I'm pushing and prodding Android to do things it does not know how to do...)
If there are things I dont like: the battery life is not long enough to last a full (working) day... it goes for about 6 hours (with no phone use but some occasional checking of the app store, and poking around in the programs)... 6 hours is not enough when you leave the house at 7am and you dont get off work until 9:30pm...
The phone does take a full charge in less than an hour - so if you work in a "place" (I dont) then you could plug at times - during the day... Mine would have to be plugged into the car - and I dont have a car adapter yet (where to buy?)... so I dont know if that will charge as efficiently as a wall outlet...
and I would easily opt to buy a couple batteries - but - where to buy them?

Huawei is a pretty new product - as are the 7" tablets... so there's not much out there in the way of accessories - that will allow you to figure out how to make things work better...
but between the two Huawei and Viewsonic - for the price - you cant go wrong with the Huawei.

419guy

Nov 17, 2010
"all the tech blogs I've seen shown the Viewsonic originally announced with a MSRP of either 499, or 479, not 399 as you state."

You are right, I edited my post to clarify, the sales rep in the video said it could sell that cheap but the tablet has been listed higher.

babynomad

Oct 10, 2010
Was in the Telstra shop today and checked out the t-tab. Not too bad. The applications seems to load quite quickly and the screen was quite responsive. It also uses a Sim card, which can be used for phone calls and the internet.
Since the Archos will not be available in time for Christmas, may have to get this one.

rabid_droid

Nov 15, 2010
In all likelihood you'll never see Flash 10.1 on the Viewpad 7 because of that processor. Only a handful of ARM11 devices, if any, will support Flash 10.1.

I believe the GPU Viewsonic used though is the same as in the S7 (Adreno 200), so 3D performance should be comparable. This is assuming the S7 uses an underclocked MSM8250. Non-3D-related things like Web browsing will probably suck compared to the S7 though.

Personally, I can't see why anyone would spend $479 on the Viewpad 7. Viewsonic must be on crack. If you can affford $500 for a Viewpad 7, you might as well fork over the extra $100 for the Samsung Galaxy Tab IMO.

tcat

Nov 17, 2010
"Official", but not a lot of real info there, nothing about memory, or "official" ability to go to 2.2 Not even an online manual (is the included manual good?)

Does have a FAQ about GPS. I would guess there's a lot you can disable to preserve battery life.
18. How to enable GPS satelilites feature?
  • Settings ->Security & location->Enable GPS satellites. If enabled use assisted GPS, it will use the wireless network in which will locate your location faster. Disable GPS functionality when not in use to preserve battery life

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
Not as detailed, i agree but still better then nothing considering i wasnt able to access any official info from huawei prior to this;

EDIT: i did find that max microsd is 16GB...

jon

Nov 18, 2010
I know I must be missing something real easy but I can't sync music, videos, ect. through my USB. I downloaded the and installed the driver for the S7 but Windows 7 will only show it as a device and it is not interactive. Any suggestions?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
You have to tell the tablet to mount as USB. then it shows as a drive.

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
^any ideas...?

EDIT: OK, problem solved by chaning the settings from GSM to GSM/WCDMA (automatic)...!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.