India promises $35 tablet soon, may run Android [Video]

wuyanks

Jul 23, 2010
ix9vm1.jpg

With electronics, you get what you pay for... usually. So when India announced a tablet with a $35USD price-point, I understand why you'd be skeptical. But according to India's Human Resource Development Minister, Kapil Sibal, the $35 tablet will be surprisingly powerful. The only available specs so far include 2GB RAM (doubtful), WiFi connectivity, USB port(s), touchscreen, PDF compatibility, Internet browsing, and YouTube streaming. The software running on the device is still up in the air, but it will likely be Linux (the prototype is clearly running a variant of Android in the photo above) because it's free to use. And if that $35 price-point was too high for you, apparently India plans to subsidize the tablets for its students, so that it'll only cost $20USD. My question, will these be available outside India? If so, I'd take 10. But let's remember, India promised a $10USD laptop which turned out not to be a laptop at all, but instead a plastic 'hub' (via Engadget), and a disappointing hub at that.

Check out the tablet in action:

via Engadget

Last edited by a moderator:

dandroid

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
I think someone could release a cheap android tablet and have it supported by the advertising business model. Before the Nexus One was released, many believed it would adapt that model. It works well for websites, why not hardware?

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
There no way this thing has 2GB of RAM. It's probably 2GB of ROM.