Internet on Android with 3G Modem

ittiandro

Nov 28, 2013
My question may sound rather naïve but with today’s technology one never knows what can be done..

I have a Samsung Galaxy 4 tablet ( not a phone). Basically, I’d like to know if there is a way to connect to the Internet from the tablet in no Wi-Fi areas, FOR FREE!

I read that one can connect a USB 3G dongle modem to the tablet and use a SIM card, but I imagine the use of a SIM card requires a contract with a cell phone provider, hence a monthly fee, or must be prepaid, with an obvious time limit, which comes down to the same....Again, is there any other way to connect to the Internet without paying fees, like for example when I am traveling or I am in a no-Wi-Fi areas ? Hook up to a satellite, perhaps?

Thanks

Ittiandro

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum Ittiandro

There is a really short answer to your question. "NO"

There isn't any way to connect to the Internet with no WiFi unless you are tethered to a phone or some other mobile hotspot/router. Very few 3G modems work with Android and those that do don't come free.

ittiandro

Nov 28, 2013
Welcome to the forum Ittiandro

There is a really sort answer to your question. "NO"

There isn't any way to connect to the Internet with no WiFi unless you are tethered to a phone or some other mobile hotspot/router. Very few 3G modems work with Android and those that do don't come free.

O.K, thanks I thought so!
What about if I buy a Smartphone with 3G capability on a prepaid basis and I tether it to my Android tablet ? I can either turn my phone into a wireless hotspot using the tablet's Wi-Fi function , or I can connect via Bluetooth. Either ways, will my Internet usage on the tethered tablet be drawn from my prepaid fee, in other words be charged or will it be free?

Thanks

Ittiandro

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
The short answer is that any data used by the tablet through your phone will be charged against the data usage for the phone.

But normally you need to have a data plan that supports tethering a device to the phone. It is also possible you may be able to use an app called FoxFi depending on the phone.. Otherwise the tethering requires a different plan even if you have a data plan with the phone.

ittiandro

Nov 28, 2013
The short answer is that any data used by the tablet through your phone will be charged against the data usage for the phone.

But normally you need to have a data plan that supports tethering a device to the phone. It is also possible you may be able to use an app called FoxFi depending on the phone.. Otherwise the tethering requires a different plan even if you have a data plan with the phone.
I understand that not all the Smart phones allow installing Fox Fi. For those which do, like Verizon Samsung S4 and a few others, would the Internet usage on a tethered tablet be free?

Thanks again

Ittiandro

ittiandro

Nov 28, 2013
Not really. It would go against the data used on the phone.

If so, then, what is the advantage of connecting to the Internet through a tethered tablet and not directly on the phone? Cheaper, perhaps?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
If the tablet can connect, using a SIM card or by way of a portable hotspot it's typically more expensive than tethering to the phone. On the phone it simply exaands the contract to include using a portable device, tablet or laptop. Using a separate SIM card on the tablet is a whole new contract with what is usually a higher cost.