iPad 2 vs Archos 101 Internet Tablet

ITweijie

Sep 2, 2011
Which device should I get? Which is better? Im using it for watching videos, playing games and surf the net with it.. I'm an advance user. Which device should you recommend?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
That is a pretty subjective question, and since you are asking it here you are probably going to be told the Archos 101 (this is Android Tablets after all). Since it is as least $100 less, and does everything you asked above, and since it does flash which you will need for webgames, then I would go with the Android.

ITweijie

Sep 2, 2011
That is a pretty subjective question, and since you are asking it here you are probably going to be told the Archos 101 (this is Android Tablets after all). Since it is as least $100 less, and does everything you asked above, and since it does flash which you will need for webgames, then I would go with the Android.
But my brother and my mother say if I get the android, I will regret.

Androidicus

Sep 4, 2011
My guess is your brother and mother are not advanced users?

Android is for people who WANT to dig into the OS, customize it, play around with it, etc. Apple is for people who just "want it to work" and don't care how many restrictions there are on the OS/device to make sure it "just works". Which kind of user are you? ;)

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
That is also the beauty of marketing. Apple designs a magnificent product, one that is elegant, works exactly as advertised and worry free. The way they maintain this is that they also keep a level of control in that all apps have to go through their review, only they can build the hardware, and they completely control the OS.

The good thing is that they are innovative and forward thinking, so their products are fresh and new. The bad thing is others are innovative and forward thinking too, but there is no synergy between them and the rest of the market.

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
pbrauer has a good point there. Apple's products, including the iPad 2, just work. Super build quality, great screen (although not as good as the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (according to scientific analysis by DisplayMate)). Also, the video watching experience in the Android browser is...lacking, to say the least. If you go through a YouTube app, though, it's usually crystal-clear and smooth. Android Tablets just need a native interface for video viewing - they try to use the interface on the webpage instead of applying their own, which causes lag, unresponsiveness - etc. Hopefully Ice Cream Sandwich (due next month, likely) will fix that.

As for general web browsing, though, the Android browser is much, much more functional; tabs, flash, etc.

As for gaming - Android Tablets can handle most games perfectly fine, although the iPad 2 has a much (much) better graphics processor and a much larger game library. If you want to go Android, I would say to wait a few months until some of the Kal-El (Quad-Core) tablets come out - they should spank even the iPad in graphics quality as well as overall speed. Even if you don't go Kal-El, the hardware refresh will cause many of the first-gen tabs to drop in price (such as the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, ARCHOS tabs, the Xoom, etc). For instance, Target had a one-day sale on the Transformer yesterday - only $299!

So, my advice is Android, but wait. And don't say that "Don't wait, buy what you want now" because that doesn't make sense when we're so close to a major hardware refresh. It may apply right after said refresh, but not one (or two) month(s) from it.

By the way, if you're willing to pay for the iPad 2, don't get the Internet Tablet - I'd recommend the 101 G9. Way better specced, out very soon, and may get Ice Cream Sandwich. Honeycomb tablets with Dual Core processors (this one's even 1.5GHz) beat Gingerbread tablets with Single-core hands flat under-down. A bit extreme, I know, it's not that fair to compare a $299 tablet (101 Internet Tablet) to a $520 tablet (iPad 2). If you're willing to pay for an iPad 2, but want an Android tablet, then get a GOOD (relatively speaking to your price range is what I mean) Android tablet! Of course, all this is only if you don't wait until Kal-El (which I still recommend).

Last edited:

ITweijie

Sep 2, 2011
pbrauer has a good point there. Apple's products, including the iPad 2, just work. Super build quality, great screen (although not as good as the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (according to scientific analysis by DisplayMate)). Also, the video watching experience in the Android browser is...lacking, to say the least. If you go through a YouTube app, though, it's usually crystal-clear and smooth. Android Tablets just need a native interface for video viewing - they try to use the interface on the webpage instead of applying their own, which causes lag, unresponsiveness - etc. Hopefully Ice Cream Sandwich (due next month, likely) will fix that.As for general web browsing, though, the Android browser is much, much more functional; tabs, flash, etc.As for gaming - Android Tablets can handle most games perfectly fine, although the iPad 2 has a much (much) better graphics processor and a much larger game library. If you want to go Android, I would say to wait a few months until some of the Kal-El (Quad-Core) tablets come out - they should spank even the iPad in graphics quality as well as overall speed. Even if you don't go Kal-El, the hardware refresh will cause many of the first-gen tabs to drop in price (such as the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, ARCHOS tabs, the Xoom, etc). For instance, Target had a one-day sale on the Transformer yesterday - only $299!So, my advice is Android, but wait. And don't say that "Don't wait, buy what you want now" because that doesn't make sense when we're so close to a major hardware refresh. It may apply right after said refresh, but not one (or two) month(s) from it.By the way, if you're willing to pay for the iPad 2, don't get the Internet Tablet - I'd recommend the 101 G9. Way better specced, out very soon, and may get Ice Cream Sandwich. Honeycomb tablets with Dual Core processors (this one's even 1.5GHz) beat Gingerbread tablets with Single-core hands flat under-down. A bit extreme, I know, it's not that fair to compare a $299 tablet (101 Internet Tablet) to a $520 tablet (iPad 2). If you're willing to pay for an iPad 2, but want an Android tablet, then get a GOOD (relatively speaking to your price range is what I mean) Android tablet! Of course, all this is only if you don't wait until Kal-El (which I still recommend).
My country, Singapore , still doesn't have the Archos G9 tablets even though I want. Does anyone know when will it be sale on Singapore ?