Is the Pandigital from QVC cabable of being rooted?

putrtek

Dec 25, 2010
Last weekend QVC had the 7" Pandigital on sale as the 'Deal of the Day' As far as I can tell it's a standard Pandigital eReader except it has 4 GB of internal storage instead of 2gb. Anyway I bought one for my wife for Christmas.

So my question I have is 'Can I root this version?' If so which rom would I use?

-MARK-

putrtek

Dec 25, 2010
So I've done some reading and there appears to be a distinct difference between the White version and the Black version. The one I have is Purple (QVC was selling it in multiple colors). How can I tell what version I have? Does it matter?

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Yes it definitly matters

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android Tablet Forum App

exscentric

Nov 25, 2010
Settings/down toward the bottom there is an option that gives info on your unit/os.

I'd guess it is the same as either the black or white but which I do not know. Statedroid.com has a thread on the differences even of the white units in which there seem to be two different boards.

Is the color in the case itself or in a gel cover?

putrtek

Dec 25, 2010
QVC is selling the Pandigital 4gb eReader in multiple case colors (black, red, blue and purple) Mine is purple. The Pandigital web site only mentions a 'black' version and a 'white' version each with separate firmware. So I'm just trying to figure out which one I have.

putrtek

Dec 25, 2010
from the 'About eReader' page

hardware Platform: RD101-4GB-W
Firmware Version: S64N_SLSB_PDUI_PD_2010_11_20
Kernel Version: 2.6.27 kobo@Androiod

So is this the 'White' version or the 'Black' version?

boggsj

Dec 26, 2010
I got one of these for christmas last night, and the thing is so jacked that I determined to sit up all night trying to see what could be done about it.

So far as I can determine, this is a Pandigital Novel "Black" version, running a somewhat newer firmware than the one others are shipping with.

This is the very first tablet device of any kind that I've owned, also first 'Droid device.

From what I've read, most other PDN-B's ship with a firmware that's actually much more limited than the one that I have, and I'm thinking that this QVC CFW is built from the Open Platform FW.

I may be wrong, I am after all a total newb.

While the Android Marketplace is disabled on this device, you can grab all manor of application packages off the web via your PC and run them with no issue and no modification, and I'm sure I've seen folk on slatedroid complaining about not being able to do so. I'm already running Snes/nes/GEN/MS/GB/GBC emulators on the thing, running with Skyfire and Opera Mini browsers, and having a grand ole time.

If you figure out how to root the thing, or if anyone knows, and there is a newb guide available, let me know, because apparently that is the only way to make use of the various overclocking applications, and I sorely want to push this thing and see if I can get Playstation1 emulation working!

Long shot, I'm sure, but either way it could benefit from a little more 'OOMPH' since it chugs a little even playing the demonstration video it shipped with.

One glaring flaw I've noted is that, while it ships with over a hundred public domain books in EPUB format, there isn't actually a way (that I've found) to read them. The packaged book manager only detected five of them ( in this case Barnes & Noble). I'm working on that too.

You can find tons of discussion on the topic here: Introduction to the Pandigital Novel - Wiki

In any case, it's a pretty neat toy, made more interesting (to me at least) because of its limitations.

Remember- ours is the Black One (mines bright Red).

Note: I tried to flash the firmware with the "update" from the Pandigital site. Don't have the file name copied down, but I'm pretty sure that it was published on the 19th of November.

The firmware this one ships with is called :
S64N_SLSB_PDUI_PD_2010_11_23_qvc

I may have done something wrong, but it would not flash with the firmware issued from Pandigital's site.

putrtek

Dec 25, 2010
boggsj,

Thanks for the Info. I've had my PDN for about a week now. I agree it's kinda slow. Even surfing the web is slow. My Dell laptop sitting right next to it is a lot faster surfing the web on the same wifi connection. I'm real tempted to try the modded firmware listed in the first thread of this forum, but have been hesitant until I know which version I had. I have several APK files laying around from my Android phone so I'll try to load them and see if they work. I had no problems with a 'free' ebooks. Once I created an account on the Barnes & Noble site then logged in all the free books showed up. I only opened a couple of them but they opened fine. I seem to be having a problem turning pages, though it works fine for my wife. I'll try loading some APK files. Again thanks for the info.

putrtek

salava

Dec 19, 2010
The link in at the beginning of this thread is for the white version. I'm wondering if there is a version for our black that would help it or is the open platform on Pandigital's website our best option. I can't seem to load any apps on mine, at least through my browser.

anthony_xdl

Dec 28, 2010
Putrtek please do that. :) Can someone tell me the distinct difference between the black and white version. I personally have the black version (4gb QVC). I have been able to load a couple apps and they work perfectly. Some flaws, but managable.

Apps that work:
•Wordsearch
•Solitaire
&if you were like me and quickly found that youtube does not work, the novel does not support flash, but with the youtube v-13 apk file from mediafire, youtube videos will work just fine. You can load the videos directly from the website.
•Youtube v-13 MUST BE V-13 and from mediafire!!!!!
•Pandora 1.5.1 AGAIN, MUST BE 1.5.1!!!!
•Family Guy apk

Last edited:

exscentric

Nov 25, 2010
The colored ones may be different than even the black in some respect, I have been unable to tell from reading. The back does not come off the colored ones from what I've heard like the white one does indicating there could be other differences.

If the firmware for the black one does not flash on the colored ones it would also indicate more differences.

I would guess as more it done more info will come out on the two boards.

I have not found any .apk that I could not find on the net so do not miss the app market.

Just out of curiosity, do the colored units automatically turn themselves on now and then. This has been a problem with the white units for some time. Also when playing video is the audio and video in sync? This also is a problem on the white unit.

angelxdlv

Dec 26, 2010
I have the blue 4gb QVC PDN, I just got it for xmas. So far I haven't had any issues with it turning on by itself. I have Nesoid Lite, and Gameboid Lite (emulators) running a few different roms pretty smoothly, however the audio is a little fuzzy and for some games it just doesn't work at all, but the touch screen buttons and d-pad work great. I also downloaded AndroPaint Lite, ES security manager, ES Task Manager, Memory Booster Lite, Mini Piano, OI File Manager, and Pandora. All of them work perfect. I'm trying to do research on what else I can do with this thing but a lot of the same questions are being asked everywhere lol.

Anthony where can I get the Youtube v-13 apk? I tried looking around and can't seem to find it.