? is there a place to turn off AUTO UPDATES ?

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
I was readign on the B&N website they said that if you are rooted you should turn off auto update as it will mess everything up until you can figure out what to do.

so is there a place that I should TURN OFF auto update ????????

Dont' want have to deal with a mess if I don't have to...

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Yes you can use Root Explorer to disable auto updates:
-Go to folder /etc/security
-rename otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak

I haven't made this change myself since I want my auto updates but other have said it works for stopping your NC from being auto updated.

note: updates as of now on remove root, they do not wipe or reformat your NC. It only replaces the system folder of the operating software.

e483a55e.png

bradgreene

Aug 3, 2010
Does disabling OTA updates by renaming the otacerts file also disable the updates/notifications from the Android market? Or does it only affect the OTA updates from Barnes and Noble?

Thanks very much.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Does disabling OTA updates by renaming the otacerts file also disable the updates/notifications from the Android market? Or does it only affect the OTA updates from Barnes and Noble?

Thanks very much.

To my knowledge, and I have not read anywhere, that remaining the otacerts file has any affect on the updates from the android market. I'll try to keep an eye out and let you know if I find otherwise.

Abb0nz

Dec 31, 2010
Has anyone had success with this? I've just tried and I get a "Sorry, operation failed" message.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Has anyone had success with this? I've just tried and I get a "Sorry, operation failed" message.

I have done this renaming ".bak" method. I haven't received any ota update yet and my market is working fine. When i go into to market and click downloads it shows the apps that have updates.

sent from my rooted nook color

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011

You are mounting as r/w in root explorer before you rename right? Remember change back to r/o (read only) when done.

bugeyed

Jul 26, 2010
Apparently, here are several examples of renaming otacerts.zip not working. Also, modifying build prop isn't guaranteed to work.
Noone is sure of a failsafe method yet. If you can keep WiFi off & still function, a solution should be available soon. Then we can wait for a 1.1 auto-nooter.

Cheers,
kev

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I should add i have clockwork recovery which will block the update too i believe. But i don't want to get into that again. I am prolly annoying people with all my clockwork talk today.