Is there a way to connect to ad hoc wi-fi network?

Alexium

Jul 29, 2011
My PC has USB Wi-Fi adapter, and ad-hoc network is set up. But A500 doesn't see this network as if it's not there. Of course, USB adapter was the only device in this network when I try connecting A500.
A laptop has no problem connecting to this network.
I've heard that stock Android does not support ad-hoc, but I also heard that knowing the right trick you can get it working on certain tablets. Something for A500 yet?

Last edited:

HD87

May 14, 2011
My PC has USB Wi-Fi adapter, and ad-hoc neywork is set up. But A500 doesn't see this neywork as if it's not there. Of course, USB adapter was the only device in this network when I try connecting A500.
A laptop has no problem connecting to this network.
I've heard that stock Android does not support ad-hoc, but I also heard that knowing the right trick you can get it working on certain tablets. Something for A500 yet?

need to root your tablet.. View attachment 3435
download View attachment 3447& extract to PC.
your gonna need a program like 'root explorer'

1. Move the new wpa_supplicant to your Iconia either via sd card, dropbox or cable copy.
  2. turn off your wifi
  3. With 'Root Explorer' navigate to directory: system/bin
  4. click mount R/W (top left) so it changes to Mount R/O)
  5. Then long hold on the file and select rename put old on the end
  6. Copy/cut and paste the existing wpa_supplicant file somewhere safe (backing up a copy to PC is best)
  7. Then copy the new file from the extracted zip
  8. Navigate back to system/bin
  9. click mount R/W (top left) so it changes to Mount R/O)
  10. Paste the new wpa file in
  11. Then long hold on the file and select view permissions
  12. check/tick all the boxes in the first two columns and the first 2 in the last column.
  13. restart wifi
& voilà!

& a heads up. Your system will not update with patch file. Any future updates will need for you to replace patch file with original file so don't lose it!

Last edited:

Alexium

Jul 29, 2011
Thank you for the algorithm and especially for not forgetting heads up :)
Going to try it right now.

Alexium

Jul 29, 2011
Did as you said, but no luck. A500 Still doesn't see my PC wi-fi network. Do i have to set a network up in any special way?

triniwasp

Aug 7, 2011
try this patch View attachment 3443 & follow the instructions to the dot. Should detect the ad hoc network with an * next to the SSID.

The first file didn't work for me but I can confirm that this file worked. I used ES explorer to grab the file from my PC, mount the system folder, and change permissions.
Tethered using barnacle and opengarden with my LG Ally.

Thank you all who have contributed information to make this possible. Instead of Verizon sticking it to me, now I'm sticking it to them!!!!!!!!!!! Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Serna_003

Aug 13, 2011
Heyy plz help me tether my huawei ascend to my acser iconia

Sent from my M860 using Android Tablet Forum

HD87

May 14, 2011
You need to root your Ascend. Download & install View attachment $z4root_1.2.0.zip to your phone.
Run the program, click "Root".
Once your phone is rooted, install this program View attachment $wireless_tether_2_0_7.zip to your phone.
Open it up, allow Superuser Permissions, then you can "press to start tethering"
Your phone will now broadcast an ad hoc wifi signal.
If you follow the steps on the previous posts, your iconia will be able to detect
the network and connect.