Is this a new Tablet? 9.7" Android2.1 MID

tobyw01

Sep 28, 2010

pazvanti

Jun 19, 2010
The pictures of the tablet look like renders...not actual pictures...also the gui is from the iPad
The specs however look really nice...1GB RAM, 4GB internal memory...this can actually run Android 3.0 if it will get an update. The price is 100$ more than the usual tablets...but those are really nice specs. IF they are true. Anyone have 300$ to spare and order one?:D

tobyw01

Sep 28, 2010
Yes, it is very tempting, but I hate to get scammed. I will be in Germany next month so I was debating if I should wait until then to check out what's in stores, but it will be a heft premium buying anything there from the store.

ywk69

Aug 18, 2010
I'm new to the tablet market but have been doing some research the past couple weeks. I don't want to wait until October for the high cost new stuff. I came across this:

9.7" Android2.1 MID HDMI Camera G-sensor - Detailed info for 9.7" Android2.1 MID HDMI Camera G-sensor,9.7" Android2.1 MID,9.7" Android2.1 MID HDMI Camera G-sensor,S9 on Alibaba.com

Wholesale-New 9.7" Android2.1 MID HDMI Camera G sensor

Does anyone know if this is new and does it have really have a 1Ghz Cortex A8? :confused:

Some online retailers in China are taking pre-orders for this apparently new device that will be released some time in October. I suggest being patient for a couple more weeks until there are reviews for this unit. We don't want to see another case of the ZT-180.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
My opinion, simply my own, is WAIT. I have the itch right now something awful for a large IPad sized tablet. The ones coming out right now are old technology compared to what will be available within the next 45 days. Just looking and comparing what will be available on the Archos 101 (supposedly available in Oct) vs this indicates this is not even as good as that.
The new RockChip based and the dual processor (even Multi) based ARMs will make you ask why, why did I not wait.

Keep in mind, That is what I keep l telling MYSELF :). But it is your money and the "itch" may be worse for you.

Best of Luck

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
EDIT: Yep, gurgle beat me to the punch! :p

So does...

I don't want to wait until October for the high cost new stuff.

...mean:

(1) You don't want to wait (it'll be longer than October),
(2) You don't want to pay the higher prices,
(3) or both?

If you're willing to pay a premium for one in Europe now, it sounds like "time" is your concern. Pardon me for nudging...but I can almost hear your future self, begging you to wait a few months and see what happens. This isn't one of those "something is ALWAYS better around the corner" stories. Come December you will have several very good choices, and I'm hoping that a price war or two might heat up pre-Xmas.

-Matt

Last edited:

tobyw01

Sep 28, 2010
I don't want to wait and I don't want to pay the high prices. I haven't had a new tech toy in sometime and it is really itching me but I will wait. I was looking at the Archos 70 or 101 but I'm afraid they are going to keep a lock down on the OS. I like to mod and tinker. I guess I can wait a bit until Xmas and use that to justify spending a little extra on myself to get something good. I just hope they keep it around the early netbook prices, that would be sweet.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I don't want to wait and I don't want to pay the high prices. I haven't had a new tech toy in sometime and it is really itching me but I will wait. I was looking at the Archos 70 or 101 but I'm afraid they are going to keep a lock down on the OS. I like to mod and tinker. I guess I can wait a bit until Xmas and use that to justify spending a little extra on myself to get something good. I just hope they keep it around the early netbook prices, that would be sweet.
I realize you were just thinking out loud, but I have some advice about Archos. I'm going to be very concise (which is not normal for me!) and very polite (which is not normal for me).

Do LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of research before buying an Archos device. No matter how gorgeous and functional they look. No matter how unbelievable the specs are. Go to the user forum (archosfans.com). Spend as much time as you can afford reading about other people's experiences at Amazon, Newegg, etc. (I have had relatively good experiences with the older 605--but that appears to be the exception). If you can swing it, look at user comments on last year's devices just as they are about to roll out the new line (which I think is very soon). I'm not saying "It's a trap--watch out!!!" I'm saying Archos customer satisfaction, by my estimate, is lucky to run 50%. The other 50% are very, very unhappy people.

(RE: prices, I've posted on related forums that the "netbook" pricing model is probably not far off. I'm guessing an average--not top of the line--tablet with WiFi will run $399.)

-Matt

plvaulter06

Aug 30, 2010
This is quite interesting. It is probably a resistive screen though :(
Also, it doesn't specify which models of A8 processor or PowerVR the gpu is. It could easily have the same CPU and GPU as the Original Droid, and pushing 1024x768 it would be slow as crap.
Although on second thought it does say full 1080p, it would be awesome if it was an TI OMAP and a Power VR SGX540!
but for the price i doubt it!

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I realize you were just thinking out loud, but I have some advice about Archos. I'm going to be very concise (which is not normal for me!) and very polite (which is not normal for me).

Do LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of research before buying an Archos device. No matter how gorgeous and functional they look. No matter how unbelievable the specs are. Go to the user forum (archosfans.com). Spend as much time as you can afford reading about other people's experiences at Amazon, Newegg, etc. (I have had relatively good experiences with the older 605--but that appears to be the exception). If you can swing it, look at user comments on last year's devices just as they are about to roll out the new line (which I think is very soon). I'm not saying "It's a trap--watch out!!!" I'm saying Archos customer satisfaction, by my estimate, is lucky to run 50%. The other 50% are very, very unhappy people.

(RE: prices, I've posted on related forums that the "netbook" pricing model is probably not far off. I'm guessing an average--not top of the line--tablet with WiFi will run $399.)

-Matt

Gadgetrants has it spot on in regards to Archos. I both love and hate my units. SO I am in both of the 50/50 group. I have my Archos IMT 5 which I am really happy AFTER I r00ted and put Angstrom Linux on the unit as a dual Boot. I have the Home Tablet. But it is just disappointing as I know it could be so much more.
I have had the 404-OK, 504-Great battery life, but sucked on any codec was more, 604 - Ditto, 605WiFi-Like it, except it does not do WPA only WEP
The above are great as PMPs but not until I r00t my IMT 5 was I really happy.

I am a sucker and will likely have a 101 but I just keep hoping it will be the "do-all' for me. My dreams of a Tablet have a gradient multi-core processor, Capacitive, 1Gb Ram, 64 Gb on storage, 802.11g/n, Bluetooth, and a battery life of 15 hours or more. The version and FW of Android needs to be solid and not half-baked.
But that is my dream

tobyw01

Sep 28, 2010
I like the Archos specs too, but I would like to stay with a somewhat open system. I don't want to have to buy codecs to get it to work they way it should out the box.