Just received my Coby Mid7024. Impressions

cichy1012

Apr 6, 2011
Ok so I was so excited about my new tablet, and first tablet for that matter. I have been reviewing for about a week as to what tablet I would want and what would fit my needs. Unfortunately even after a week and hours of reviews I was as clueless then as I was up until I bought it. I was reading about Coby's and Ive had a few products from them, so I figured since they were pretty good quality and have held up; I decided to take the plunge with the Coby Mid7024.

The design is sleek and beautiful. Not alot of facial buttons except for the ones on the right. The round button is considered the home button. This one you have to press. As for the others zoom, back, menu, and browser button these are recessed into the unit and you basically glyde your finger over them. Very nice feature and feels like some class was put into this aspect. I really like the way it feels in my hand; it feels heavy but just perfect to make you feel its not just a cheaply made tablet.

With the 7 inch size I am able to get my fingers to reach all the alphabet keys as if I was texting. I was very suprised to see and feel that the resistive touch is not as bad as Ive heard from reviews of any tablet that provides this. I did not find myself frustrated or confused as to how to engage the icons or slide the menus. As for this being my first tablet I found it responsive and myself navigating quite easily. You can use your finger or the stylus that was provided.

The screen I cannot really comment on the quality as I have no other experience to compare it to. I will say this; it does not feel cheap and flimsy. It feels thick, sturdy and has a nice look and feel to it. I was expecting for the price I paid, I would get what I paid for. In this case I was wrong. I do like the auto rotate feature. When you turn the tablet the screen rotates also.

Browsing seemed easily enough to find my wireless router and connect. Web browsing seem about as slow as the cheapest high speed you could get through a provider. The google page pops right up but when you put in say MSN.COM it takes about 7-8 seconds to get there. Note Im about 35 feet from my router. Yahoo took 3 secs, Aol.com took about 3 secs to get there and about 20 secs to load everything. Updates that it asked me to do took very little to no time at all.

I downloaded some apps and they took about a min to download. I tried to download a game and that took about 15 mins. Overall I say that the browsing has been appealing and not frustrating. Youtube videos do seem to cut in and out, play a bit...load...play a bit...load, but it does this on my pc also so I dont know. The only remedy I have for this is to hit the pause button and wait till it downloads a bit then play it.

Connecting to your PC. Boy this was frustrating. After about an hour of googling I found that you have to disable USB bugging for your PC to recognize your tablet. I transfferred a movie to my flix folder and watched a bit of it. It looked very good and I was impressed.
Video camera quality is not much to write home about, but Ive seen worse.
The kids keep looking over my shoulder, my wife has a crazy look in her eye waiting for me to put it down, or the kids stealing it and locking themselves in their rooms. I think if a gadget like this can grab their attention its not a bad deal. Hey its something new, something fun, and some quality time together getting to know the unit is great within itself.

I was happy with what was included with the box.

USB cable
USB host/keyboard adapter
Stylus
Protective case
Professional stereo earphones
Power adapter
Cloth to clean your screen

**********any questions please feel free*************

Joey1320

Nov 26, 2010
tnx for the review.
i'm definitely thinking of upgrading to a 7024.
keep us posted with any new issues/finds.

lisaknob

Apr 20, 2011
I agree with this review and am in a very similiar position. I am having a hard time finding accessories and am not sure what other tablets might have the same dimensions for a screen protector (for example). I also would like to find a car adapter.

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
Universal screen protectors work fine, just cut them to size. Also, I don't have my 7015 anymore but wonder if the screen size is the same? I would try popping the adapter specs into ebay and see what turns up.

driggs

Apr 22, 2011
Just curious, does the 7024 have multi-touch support? The video on Coby's site about "How to use your touchscreen" makes it look like it does, but I was not sure if that was the unreleased 7025 or the 7024.

Thanks!!!

jabby

Apr 22, 2011
Connecting to your PC. Boy this was frustrating. After about an hour of googling I found that you have to disable USB bugging for your PC to recognize your tablet.
**********any questions please feel free*************
Hi cichy-
I just got my 7024 today and am having the same problem. I have USB debugging set to off and USB host/device set to "device". The first time I tried to connect to the PC (Windows 7 x64bit) it said it was installing drivers and everything appeared to be normal but I did not connect (I had USB debugging on). Turned the USB debugging "off "and still could not connect (the PC did not try to load divers so I am assuming that the driver situation is OK)

When I pull down the notification bar and select the USB I get a screen with a green android and a button to tap if I want to transfer files from the PC to the tablet. I tap the button and the android turns orange but nothing happens. Like you I am frustrated. I've tried every combination I can think of and nothing seems to turn the trick.

Do you or anybody have any ideas?

Thanks -John

nlcjhon

May 13, 2011
Hi good day, i just got the tablet, and i plug it to the USB port and happen the same as you say, i had to ggogle it. But the thing that impressed me its that when i connect the USB cable the tablet doesnt charge, is that normal or i need to do something?? PLZ hlp Htnkas

planotexas

May 15, 2011
I too am considering the Coby MID 7024 as my first tablet purchase for many of the same reasons you site. Would you still purchase this device knowing what you do now? I realize it's not a huge investment in money but I like most will invest time as well. Thank you for your post.

esampah

May 9, 2011
For you guys looking/considering MID7024, PM me. I'm selling mine. Pristine condition, used only for 1 week, screen still using the manufacturer protector, and all accessories are all intact.

From my tests MID7024 is very good. Fast, responsive, great screen, especially since now you can install Android App Market you can do a lot more.

Grubworm

Jan 6, 2012
You better hope you do not have problems with you tablet.Coby technical support does not exist. I have tried for 12 days and they have never responded to me. Sent my piece of junk back today