Kyros MID-7015 and 7005 Ultimate Guide Discussion Thread

Dec 13, 2010
ok i finally got all the way down to installing google marketplace put the gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip in the root of my sd card, it goes into clockworkMod recovery menu (well at least it does don't really know what that menu looks like). the second option is install update.zip from SD card. for some reason the sd card doesn't pull up the gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip its trying to pull up the coby firmware update file which is not even on my root of the SD card. can someone please explain why it might be doing this? can i clear the cache from this menu? will you think that will help find the gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip on my SD card. thanks for your help

tlbaldwin

Dec 16, 2010
Thanks for posting this! I just got my tablet about a week ago and have been lost, thanks again!

teegunn

Nov 28, 2010
Anyone gotten this to work on Windows 7 64bit?

I follow the instructions to a T, but when I get to installing the android SDK, there is no usb_driver folder created. Any ideas?

I have literally spent two days trying to get SDK to install on my win 7 laptop..... it installs, but when it comes time to DL and install the updates, including the usb_driver folder, it doesn't. I also ran the SDK from the zip, but can't get it to recognize or install the usb_driver folder that way either. More than a little frustrating having to spend countless hours tweaking to get this to run decently.

Note: I'm pretty good at modding, having done so on my droid X. I am following instructions to a "T" for this guide for the Coby. All I want to do is get clockwork onto the tab so that I can then get full market, etc, as the guide indicates. It shouldn't be this hard. I've easily got the Coby rooted with Z4, have installed some of my favorite apps by backing them up to my SD card on my X, then loading the card onto the Coby and transferring the APK. But I need to get the market onto the coby..... can't even get SDK to fully install onto my win 7 laptop....

demo1962

Dec 10, 2010
Sable ....

Thanks for the help. It took me 2.5 days to figure out how to get rooting, Android Market and ClockworkMod Recovery. During the process, I had two big wall to climb. #1. to figure out where is usb_driver. #2. using usb keyboard to input the above directly to Coby tablet.

My work is done !!!!!!!!!!!! Ya Ya .............

demo1962

Dec 10, 2010
ok this is really aggrevating. i did as listed above. typed cd C:\ at the c prompt. typed in info and still says not recognized. what gives. am i missing something somewhere??? i really need some help here. did everything as listed, rooted my kyros, downloaded the usb drivers, but i can not load the clockwork mod. please help!!!!!!!!

Crosscheck9c...

Try this:

I didn't use a PC but instead used terminal. Here is a bit from his post on the first page ... instead of using a usb keyboard I just clicked on menu while in terminal, and then selected soft keyboard and typed it in that way. So you can issue the same commands directly through terminal instead of adb shell.

IV. Use a Terminal app from Kyros.

a. connect up your usb keyboard to your Kyros.

b. Open AppsLib, press the search hour glass icon, and type Terminal Emulator and press Search. Use the arrows key on keyboard to scroll down until you find Terminal Emulator by Jack Palevich. Install it. Close AppsLib.

c. Run Terminal Emulator. From the usb keyboard:

type su followed by a return
type flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img followed by a return
type reboot recovery followed by a return

That will to you to the next step. This is a another way to solve your problem. Your have to thank whoisthis)95

Good Luck !!!

demo1962

Dec 10, 2010
Jonnie5isalive.......

Your lucky day.

Go to : Coby Kyros MID7015 Android Tablet

1. Do steps from above until 2 from Installing ClockworkMod Recovery to back up your Kyros.

From XDA forums: "You must be rooted (I assume z4root or universal android root works)
then either using terminal (grab terminal app from market) or using adb.

Grab the recovery.img and drop it into sdcard via usb or adb push.
Open terminal and type su and then flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
or if using adb, its adb shell and then su and then flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
". This is from creator of recovery.img (i.e.ClockworkMod).

Actual instructions I used from app called Terminal Emulator. I used AppsLib to get it.

Replaces steps 2-9 from Installing ClockworkMod Recovery to back up your Kyros.
2. From Terminal type each followed by return using a usb keyboard attached to your 7015 by the short usb cable it came with.

su

flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

reboot recovery

3. Now follow instructions from above for loading 'gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip'. Start with 11 from Installing ClockworkMod Recovery to back up your Kyros.

Good Luck..... Thanks to
lschroeder

Last edited:

demo1962

Dec 10, 2010
BKenny.... Don't give Up..

When you ran SDK Manager - you must make sure to Install - Installed packages with all download (about 30 mins) then install Available packages. Check mark the box under Third party Add-ons and install all. You will find usb_driver.

I don't know why, sometime usb_driver is installed but sometime not. Just to make sure. Install Installed packages and Available packages - Third party Add-ons.

Good Luck.....

teegunn

Nov 28, 2010
I have tried every method to get clockwork going. Never could get my win 7 laptop to get SDK running. So I've been doing the EXACT instructions for the terminal emulator on the coby to get clockwork to load..... it still won't recognize the recovery file to load into clockwork. I have THREE of these tabs (for our three kids). One I updated with the coby firmware latest release. Another I have tried to update with the modified update zip instead of the coby... it won't load saying something like Everify failed. The third tab I have not touched yet. Both the first two I have perm rooted with Z4. File manager and terminal emulator installed. I have followed all instructions on this (and the other linked boards) up, down, left, right and sideways to a "T". Cannot get clockwork to load via SDK or terminal emulator. I have, several times, reset the devices via recovery and tried to start from scratch using the exact instructions. Terminal emulator seems the best option for me seeing I can't get SDK to properly load onto my win 7 pc. Someone help please...... It can't be this hard.

billquinn1

Dec 16, 2010
I just finished using terminal. After you started terminal, did you type su and say "allow"? One other possibility is that the recovery.img is corrupt. Try reformatting the card and redownloading the file. Do not change the name of the file. Lots of windows users keep "show file extensions" unchecked and rename things "recovery.img.img". Really it took me like 10 mins.
Good luck.
Bill
By the way, if anyone needs to know, the sdk on my Linux machine did not see the tab. I will work on that later. terminal was perfect.

teegunn

Nov 28, 2010
I just finished using terminal. After you started terminal, did you type su and say "allow"? One other possibility is that the recovery.img is corrupt. Try reformatting the card and redownloading the file. Do not change the name of the file. Lots of windows users keep "show file extensions" unchecked and rename things "recovery.img.img". Really it took me like 10 mins.
Good luck.
Bill
By the way, if anyone needs to know, the sdk on my Linux machine did not see the tab. I will work on that later. terminal was perfect.

Thanks for the advice!

I did type "su" and yes superuser pops up saying "allow", which of course I allowed. I have reformatted the card and DL'd the file several times thinking the file might be corrupt.... no luck. Did not change the name either. I've modded both my Droid X and my Droid Incredible with few problems. Every avenue I have tried with these Coby units have met a dead end. So far. I can sideload many apps from my DX onto my SD card then move that card to the Coby units and install the (compatible) APK's, but I really want to get full market running on these tabs ASAP.

Dec 18, 2010
i just bought the 7015 model. i was told there is an update in the coby site that i should put on a micro sd card and install to my tablet. should i do this before or after i root my phone and install the market?

teegunn

Nov 28, 2010
Finally got clockwork to run on one of the Coby units..... I formatted the sd card, redownloaded the files and installed them to sd. This time it worked. No clue why it didn't before. Got the gapps market fix installed. Next is to install the firmware update - not sure if I should just use the stock Coby firmware flash or the modified one? Anyone know?

secosteve

Dec 19, 2010
I am still having the same problem as others. I can not get the winusbcoinstaller.dll file to be found, an no matter how many times I download installed and available packages, I still can't find it. Please help.

demo1962

Dec 10, 2010
I have tried every method to get clockwork going. Never could get my win 7 laptop to get SDK running. So I've been doing the EXACT instructions for the terminal emulator on the coby to get clockwork to load..... it still won't recognize the recovery file to load into clockwork. I have THREE of these tabs (for our three kids). One I updated with the coby firmware latest release. Another I have tried to update with the modified update zip instead of the coby... it won't load saying something like Everify failed. The third tab I have not touched yet. Both the first two I have perm rooted with Z4. File manager and terminal emulator installed. I have followed all instructions on this (and the other linked boards) up, down, left, right and sideways to a "T". Cannot get clockwork to load via SDK or terminal emulator. I have, several times, reset the devices via recovery and tried to start from scratch using the exact instructions. Terminal emulator seems the best option for me seeing I can't get SDK to properly load onto my win 7 pc. Someone help please...... It can't be this hard.

Try this:

Thanks to lschroeder from another forum...

--

To make ClockworkMod stick do this fix from terminal emulator.

su
(Accept Super User status if Dialog appears)
mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
reboot recovery

From ClockworkMod Recovery (use the default option and press menu button)
- reboot system now

Good Luck...........