kyros mid7015 and usb mass storage

benjas34

Jan 12, 2011
hi to everyone, im new with tblets and android, nd i hve a question

i plug my usb menory with the usb mini cable to full size usb, and in the notification bar says, "preparing usb mass storge", with help of a file browser i find the directori of my usb, but the really question is How to unmount the usb mass storare device for safe removal???? i already check all the setings and i dont find nothing can someone help me.

slopehead

Jan 14, 2011
Until somebody responds with a quick way, the safe (but slow) way is to shut your tablet down, disconnect the drive, then restart the tablet.

lvaleria

Feb 8, 2011
I really find it hard to believe that after almost a month this still has no answer. Is there no command line mode? no app or script? is it a problem with all android 2.1 tablets?

Last edited:

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
if you have a terminal emulator and root access you could always use umount...

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
Really, no one knows this already??

The answer is simple. With the device plugged into a computer turn on the screen (unlock if you have to) and then slide your finger down from the top of the screen. The notifications tray will slide down to reveal USB options. Depending on which storage device you have mounted for use with your computer you should see an option to "mount" the drive or "unmount" the drive (if it's already mounted). Once you select this option the device will unmount the storage device from the connected machine and prepare it for use with the Coby Tablet. When all is done, the device can be safely unplugged.

It should work the same way with external storage devices; in fact I know it does as I disconnect my flash drives this way.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Bkenney: I think you misunderstand the question. They've mounted flash drives on their tablets. The device doesn't really provide an auto unmount option for them.

lvaleria

Feb 8, 2011
Ok, I've installed a terminal emulator and the device is rooted (at least I installed z4root and selected the permanent root, did I miss something there?) , I plug the pendrive in and the mount command confirms it's there, in /scsi, so i do a "su umount /scsi" and it doesn't respond (sing of success according to man) but doing mount again shows it's still there, and if I unplug it it still gives me the "USB storage unexpectedly removed"
Please help?

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
Bkenney: I think you misunderstand the question. They've mounted flash drives on their tablets. The device doesn't really provide an auto unmount option for them.

Mine gives me an option to unmount the drive in the notifications tray when I plug in an external flash drive...

Sent from my MID7015

lvaleria

Feb 8, 2011
su {enter}
umount /scsi {enter}

did that too, first time z4root asked if I wanted to give permission, and i did. That makes /scsi go away from the list mount gives, but still when I unplug the pendrive it says it was removed unexpectedly. (sorry I didn't write that in the post before, but I tried that one after going to bed, and my wifi was already off for the night)

Mine gives me an option to unmount the drive in the notifications tray when I plug in an external flash drive...

When I plug it it gives me mounting messages, but they disappear from the notifications list and I have nothing left to click. Maybe something extra you installed?

absurd

Dec 11, 2010
I have a 8gb usb flash drive(formatted: fat32) i plug it into my kyros. well it sees the flash driveand at the top bar it says preparing usb mass storage. but i cant get to files in my flash drive.(i have used a file manager(linda) and my tablet hasn't rooted yet.)
Is there any way to access files at my usb flash drive?

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
I'm using a card reader. Same issue as others I connect it and get the messages on the status bar of connecting USB external storage. The card reader mounts on scsi and I can copy across the photos I want. But unmounting is not so easy.
With a simple Gscript I have "umount /scsi" I can unmount the card reader. Checking with AndExplorer scsi is empty now.
But when I unplug the the card reader I still get the ring tone and warning that the storage device was disconnected expectantly.
I'm still googling for an answer.

absurd,
Can you see the /scsi folder with linda? That's where the drive should be IF it's FAT32. There is no auto mount for ntfs, ext3, ext4 etc.
For root I used
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-tablets/5353-coby-kyros-ships-rooted.html
especially post #6 and post #9
The Coby already is "rooted" and with the SuperUser app you can then use backup and restore following the sticky but skipping z4root and gapps Market.

absurd

Dec 11, 2010
Thank you for your answer i have been able to access my usb drive via scsi folder as for unmounting it i just shut down my device for safe removal. I will have my micro sd card tomorrow and then will work on rooting finally :)

jrsharp21

Jan 31, 2011
If downloaded a bunch of movies to a flash drive, would I be able to view the movies from the flash drive? I have been hesitant to connect a flash drive as I don't want to freeze up my Kyros or mess it up in any way.

lvaleria

Feb 8, 2011
I have been watching movies with my flashdrive, so far so good. Depending what I'm doing I use umount before removing the usb, or I turn the table off. What I try not to do is delete stuff from the pendrive.