Looking for a tablet, need help

downlinx

Nov 18, 2010
Ok guys, im looking for an out of the box will work android tablet, I have about $350 dollars to spend on it and would really like not to have to spend more. I just dont know where to go guys. Should i be looking in the upper end tablets or upper end generic tablets? I am really eyeballing the archos tablets but done know if it is worth it.

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I know I am going to sound like a broken record, but check out the Huawei S7 from Best Buy, for $299. also, please please please check out the various threads here that provide comparisons as well as info on selecting and buying.

Here is the best bottom line I can give you, you get what you pay for, and this includes HOW you buy it. Buy it online from a retailer with little history thousands of miles away and you can expect a different level of service and support from buying it at Best Buy, Sears or a major retailer.

downlinx

Nov 18, 2010
ok, thank you, I really didnt plan to buy from a low name retailer but i will def. check out the S7
I know I am going to sound like a broken record, but check out the Huawei S7 from Best Buy, for $299. also, please please please check out the various threads here that provide comparisons as well as info on selecting and buying.

Here is the best bottom line I can give you, you get what you pay for, and this includes HOW you buy it. Buy it online from a retailer with little history thousands of miles away and you can expect a different level of service and support from buying it at Best Buy, Sears or a major retailer.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Huawei isn't actually that low a name. if you look through the forums you will see that they are considered to be a top-tier vendor.

But, if you have your mind set on a vendor such as Samsung, you will need to go well above the $350 price for a tablet.

downlinx

Nov 18, 2010
if i go samsung i will def. have to go above that but not by much as i have a friend who manages 6 at&t stores and gets me 40% off. I wasnt talking as they were low end name, but more as the the unheard of stores.

downlinx

Nov 18, 2010
the Huawei is a nice alternative and it comes with the market, i am just wondering if it is a bloated price for what you get?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
IMHO it isnt. Other than a resistive screen instead of capacitive it has all the features of the tablets that all cost $300 more. And it is by far the best resistive screen I have used.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

Nov 27, 2010
I was able to play with a S7 at a local Best Buy store, and for the most was impressed. There were a few things that strayed me away from the purchase. The device did not have a HDMI out port. This was a must for me as I want to connect it to my living room TV to watch movies and HULU. I also heard the battery life was not that great. The screen seemed to be very responsive. I had a Cruz Tablet that was 7" and this one is also 7" which also strayed me away. I have a very difficult time reading ebooks and stuff on a 7" screen. This is a personal preference though. I did a lot of debating over the past few weeks and decided to get the Archos 101 internet tablet. So I hope I made the right decision. I will know in a few days. Good luck on your decision.

Kahoolie

Oct 21, 2010
An Archos 101 (8Gb model for ~ $300) would be a good buy IMHO. I have one (~2weeks) and other than the lack of Flash I'm very happy with it. Note that Flash is promised Real Soon Now.

downlinx

Nov 18, 2010
thanks for the replies guys, and thanks for suggesting S7, i went to best buy and played with it and I do like it. but, I just wish it had a capacitive touch screen. It was very responsive and it is definitely in one of my top considerations.

I just now need to get my hands on an archos and galaxy tab and maybe a Notion Ink Adam as they start at $327.