Looking for feedback on these really cheap Tablets

canadian1969

Oct 2, 2011
So what are my main advantages with this model versus other 7" units, seems like the specs are very similar, I guess memory is a big one, I noticed that the Coby states 4GB flash storage, but doesn't specify system memory, the memory capacity is usually stated like 256MB/2GB or 512MB/4GB etc from what I have seen so far. What is the system memory on the Coby? Is their a difference in the processors?

Thanks

canadian1969

Oct 2, 2011
@Spemall.com Thanks for the feedback.

Has anyone else had any experiences with the suggested products in this thread?

alexmrb

Dec 7, 2011
Advice: These tablets have no apps, not much functionality, and non official updates (updates have to be by Pandigital,) meaning it's strictly for E-reading . If apps are what you're lookiing for, i'd suggest either two:

Mode de Vie Overview , Le Panr buy one of these and root them:
Barnes & Noble - Books, Textbooks, eBooks, Toys, Games & Moreope this helps :)

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Hi canadian1969,

Welcome to the board, I am glad you joined us, if you've not chosen a tablet yet, I would like to offer the Toys R Us sale on the Coby 7022 model. I like this model for a number of reasons, and if they have it there for $159 others will have it for around that sometime soon. I ran a search on shopbot.ca on this model and linked to it here It has 512 in RAM and a 1GHZ processor, with micro SD expandability to 32GB. it supports both 720p and 1080p and you can use the micro HDMI port to an HDTV to watch media. It also has a .3 mega pixel cam, though I don't think it's useful for video chatting from what people have said here. I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure it has a G-sensor and pinch to zoom ability and the device comes with Gingerbread OS. The best thing about it is the capacitive screen and the RAM. I like the other features I mentioned as well as it being possible to install the Android market without having to root the tablet. It doesn't come with it stock, but you CAN install it yourself. I hope this helps. :)

Hi alexmrb,

Welcome to the board, thanks for the info you shared, I am new to researching the LePan but it looks like a sweet tablet. Glad you could join us! :D

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
Here is my take on "cheap" tablets. The cheap tablets have limitations to them out of the box as compared to the more expensive tablets. With the mod community, and taking the step to get into learning how to root, etc. you can work around those limitations, but that is time that you need to spend. Cheaper will also mean weaker hardware specs. With technology advancing by leaps and bounds, weaker hardware will become obsolete quicker. If you spend the money now to get a more expensive tablet, this will help to ward off obsolescence. I look at purchasing a tablet the same as purchasing a computer. The same rule applies where you should concentrating on spending your budget towards the newest and more powerful processors (and the most memory) that your budget will allow.

One last thing. With the more expensive models, they generally come from more "famous name" brands. This will also generally result in slightly better support and, when the time comes, software upgrades will be more readily available. For example, your "cheaper" brand tablets might cost you about $100-$150, but they will typically also be running Android 2.2 or 2.1 and have the Cortex processor (single-core). The "name brand" tablets will run you roughly $300, but they will have Tegra 2 processors (dual core) and will be running Android 3.x. Those dual core tablets will be able to be upgraded to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich), but the cheaper ones won't.

nickelpeed

Dec 7, 2011
I tried two Coby tablets; the 7" and 8". They kept on freezing up on me. They wouldn't even download facebook for tablets. I couldn't get them to do anything. I got the 8" first; kept it for 2 days and got so frustrated, I sent it back. I then ordered the 7". The screen wouldn't stop jumping around on me. It looked like someone was constantly touching it; again, after 2 days, I sent it back. I was so frustrated.